Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24281
Printed Date: May-08-2024 at 2:02pm

Topic: 1970 Separator
Posted By: brit01
Subject: 1970 Separator
Date Posted: December-04-2011 at 11:00pm
Hello. We have a 1970 Separator that has been in the family for a long time, we know it's a 'special' boat but nothing about whether there are buyers for it or it's value. Yes, we're thinking (repeat, thinking!) about parting with our much loved bat-boat! Motorbikes have taken over the garage. It is baby blue, V8 351 Ford-Holman/Moody. Re-worked engine, was last hauling across the water 2 summers ago. Now the V drive needs work. Anyway, the interior may be a little rough but it's still a boat that makes the traffic stop on the way to the lake!!   Does anyone have any knowledge of boats like ours? Many thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: December-04-2011 at 11:20pm
Hi Brit,

Don't know how much lurking you've done around this site or if you just found us. There are a few members with Separators here, but as you can imagine, not too many. Mike Thrower has one down in SC, and Jeff Connors in MI(?) (connorsons) has three or four in various states of restoration. Right now he is working on restoring an I/O version. He has a complete v-drive in very good condition and one or two other v-drives waiting on restoration. I know of one of his, personally, because one member told me about finding it in the Maine woods. I went to check it out and was seriously thinking about it but then decided to let Jeff have it. There was one other barn find separator a few years ago. The guy was going to redo it, but quickly lost interest and we never heard from him or about the boat again. He was seriously out of line with his asking price ($12,000) Can't really help you with the value. Jeff could. I know the one in maine was a complete redo so that was under a grand. The http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=369&sort=&pagenum=1 - one he got from Florida that was redone,I dont recall what he paid. There is a market for them. Some folks dont care for them, but those that do, (like me) really like them. They are not regarded as great ski boats, because they are a little slow out of the hole and the rear engine causes a larger wake, but they are still cool boats. If I had to guess the value of a 70 separator that needs v-drive work and an interior, I might say around 5-ish,000, but that is just a guess on my part, others with more knowledge may correct me. The rest of the condition, hull, motor, trailer would affect that. There is an absolutely spotless, albiet unoriginal bright yellow painted, Torino in Maine for $9,500 which I think in quite optimistic, tho a separator might have a slight primium over the torino due to the unique bat boat windshields. First rule around here, we love pics, if you could post some, that would be great. What part of the country are you in?

Welcome to CCF. You found the best place to have this discussion.   

-------------

Posted By: dwcar
Date Posted: December-04-2011 at 11:22pm
Sounds like a nice boat. Post some pictures. There are several guys here with Separators that will chime in soon.

-------------
83Ski

Date Posted: December-04-2011 at 11:28pm
Hi, thanks for your reply. I haven't done much looking around the site, knew about it because my husband found it some time ago. Yes, you are quite right I should post pics, I have some fab ones of Dave driving it. We are in St Louis and used to take the bat boat to Table Rock Lake. We're not looking to win the lottery if we sell the boat, but do want to be educated sellers.

Date Posted: December-04-2011 at 11:41pm
stupid question - how do I post my pictures?

Date Posted: December-04-2011 at 11:59pm
Posting pics:

Either directly from your hard drive using these instructions:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23667&title=need-help-posting-pictures-here-it-is - from hard drive

Or from photobucket, using these:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5142&title=how-to-post-pictures-using-photobucket - photobucket

-------------

Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 1:38am

Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 1:47am

Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 11:46am
OK, I'll take it.

Very cool. Too bad, you missed the deadline for this year's calendar submittals by a few weeks. Your boat, but I think I would think twice about selling it.

-------------

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 12:04pm
i would keep it too. you will never be able to replace that one

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Posted By: nautique frk
Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 2:51pm
Brit, welcome to the site !! Awesome boat Post your story and more photos in the Diaries section. Mine is a 1971 with the holman moody 351 I am slowly restoring this boat. Is yours the original gel coat color ?

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 2:59pm
very cool boat! love the pictures!

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 3:03pm
SWEEEEET!!!

I'm with Larry and Peter, I don't think I'd be able to sell that. Very cool boat! I love those dueling windshields.

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by nautique frk nautique frk wrote:

Is yours the original gel coat color ?

I am guessing so, as it is a twin to the very sad one in Maine that Jeff picked up. (that I now have second thoughts about letting go)   

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19893&KW=maine&PN=1&title=heading-to-maine - Jeff's Maine Boat

-------------

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 7:15pm
That is a neat boat. High on the "cool" factor. Good luck with your decision.

Posted By: dwcar
Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 7:18pm
Very nice!!

-------------
83Ski

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 9:08pm
Brit, I'm one of the few people that is not a big fan of that boat, but had I seen your pictures a few years ago, the one in Maine would be in my yard right now! Think real hard on it before you let it go.

Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 10:07pm
The boat is the Holman/Moody version and it does have the original gel paint. Thanks to everyone for the kind comments about our bat-boat. Now we have some thinking to do!!

Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 10:12pm
One more picture just for the fun of it ..

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 10:26pm
cue the Godfather...

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 10:48pm
OK, all the pictures were good, but that one especially deserved to have the size adjusted so it could be more fully appreciated. Again, too bad about that whole calendar thing.

-------------

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 10:49pm
I don't like blue boats or H&M's I vote to keep it.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 10:54pm
Thanks for that - I couldn't work out how to size adjust the photos!

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 11:07pm
I used to take care of your boat in the mid to late '70's.

Unless there are two identical Baby Blue Bat Boats in MO.

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 11:29pm
You may send a couple of the guys on this board to the cardiac unit with these pics.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

You may send a couple of the guys on this board to the cardiac unit with these pics.

Only because they are thinking how much dough they put into their boats to get them to perform like that and they still won't, and I am guessing this one is doing it straight from the factory. Brit hasn't mentioned top speed, and I realize it would probably be a speedo number, but I'd still be curious.

-------------

Posted By: Bakchose
Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 11:56pm
Great picture. One of my first Correct craft encounters was with a Torino while my brother and I were learning to paddle our new canoe. Just courious as to where the Maine one was located. I looked back in some of the old posts and is looks like it was near my camp on Mousam Lake. I looked at the yellow one on Rt109 in Acton and it is just too expensive. Funy, I drove down the road a little bit and came across the 1974 Skier that is being parted out on this web.

-------------

Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 11:58pm
It was on Wilson Lake. It was in the woodsfor at least a few years.

Date Posted: December-06-2011 at 12:38am
Wow it was really close. I wonder if it was near the Bart Simpson Statue houe? LOL. There was a red painted Mustang(?) near the
Wilson lake boat ramp right off Rt 109 that just disappeared. Maybe we should create a thread like the interesting Craigslist finds and call it Correct Crafts In Yards. If I thought I could afford this Separator I would make an offer. I'm waiting to see what Craig at the old NECC does with the avacodo Green Separator. They told me that they are going to be working on both of them this winter.

-------------

Date Posted: December-06-2011 at 12:47am
I believe the same guy owned the Mustang. If you drove down the dirt road next to where the Mustang was parked, the Torino was parked not even 100 yards away in the woods. That Mustang was parked next to the road for at least 2 years. I've just been getting acquainted with that area in the past few years. Lots of little lakes and old boats in the yards.

Date Posted: December-06-2011 at 1:06am
I didn't inquire about the Mustang because it was painted. Hence I guessed it had a hard life. There is a 60's 18 ft Correct Craft not far away that was covered untill this last tropical storm that shredded the blue tarp. I quickly took a look and the front seats are not original. Everything else looks to be there. I took a picture with my phone and there is a sold sign on the house across the street. Not sure who owns the land that the boat sits on. Anyone interested? The boat has been sitting there covered since I can remember 10 to 13 yrs. Sorry if we are going off the thread/s topic

-------------

Posted By: 05 210
Date Posted: December-06-2011 at 1:20am
Originally posted by Bakchose Bakchose wrote:

I'm waiting to see what Craig at the old NECC does with the avacodo Green Separator. They told me that they are going to be working on both of them this winter.

Hahahaha. He's been saying that for years. Probably not going to happen this year either. Yeah, get going on that thing would you Craig , make a liar outta me. I hear that boat flies, but it takes a half mile to get on plane....cough,cough

The yellow Torino for sale on RT.109 belongs to Bob Torno of 'TORNO'S ARCTIC CAT' fame. He is on Upper Mousam but that boat hasn't been in the water for years.I have enjoyed more than one frosty beverage while cruising the lake in that rig. He owns the green Malibu Corvette boat that is for sale there as well.

Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

i would keep it too. you will never be able to replace that one

I'm with the guys saying this. Those things dont come along very often in that condition. If you dont "need" to sell it,but arent going to use it you may be better off to put it up and slowly address the things needed to get it at 100%. Doesnt look like it needs much, and if you get the urge later to own another Seperator like the "One that was in your family for a very long time" you may be left with the emptiness of knowing you let that one go......just sayin

Mike

-------------
http:/diaries/details.asp?ID=2219" rel="nofollow - Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: December-06-2011 at 8:48am
Brit,
I sure hope you decide to keep it. The "cool" factor is way up there!! FYI, we had one on our lakes as well as a Donzi sweet 16. The Donzi would out run it but not by much.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: December-06-2011 at 12:09pm
I'm also with the guys here.
Very cool boat!

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Date Posted: December-06-2011 at 10:23pm
DrCC: wow that's very cool, I bet it's the same boat! Dave says that would probably have been right before his Uncle bought the boat.

Date Posted: December-06-2011 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Only because they are thinking how much dough they put into their boats to get them to perform like that and they still won't, and I am guessing this one is doing it straight from the factory. Brit hasn't mentioned top speed, and I realize it would probably be a speedo number, but I'd still be curious.

On the day the photos were taken Dave reckons we realistically got 50mph and I can't tell you all the mechanical reasons he told me as to why there was definitely 'more in the tank' but it wasn't happening that day! I have skied behind the boat many times and it pulls me out of the water, on one ski, no problem.

Posted By: connorssons
Date Posted: December-07-2011 at 12:58am
Ok here we go! im interested in your boat, call me on the price and lets talk. ive spent the last couple of years researching the separators torinos and spoilers!call if i can help 269 506 1249 jeff

Date Posted: December-07-2011 at 2:20am
It appears to have been very well kept.

I remember installing new rudder packing, probably in '78 or '79.

That's the reason my current boat does not have an engine
over the rudder.

Go Jeff!

Date Posted: December-07-2011 at 8:41am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

over the rudder.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-07-2011 at 11:24pm

It appears to have been very well kept.

over the rudder.

Go Jeff!
Hay Doc I agree, have one to do this winter any tips other than a skinny guy?

Date Posted: December-08-2011 at 12:38am
I just lay a folded shipping quilt over the engine, and get as comfortable as possible. Then just get used to the idea of beimg upside-down for a while.
And don't lay on the throttle cable.

Or, you could use a 135lb. kid, and just stand there and bark orders.

Posted By: Keeganino
Date Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:17am
You guys a too funny! Seriously cool boat. The money you are going to get out of it is surely not going to be equal to the cool points you get just owning it and maybe getting it onto the water once a year.

-------------
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4897" rel="nofollow - 1973 Skier

Date Posted: December-08-2011 at 9:26am

I just lay a folded shipping quilt over the engine, and get as comfortable as possible. Then just get used to the idea of beimg upside-down for a while.

It's about a bad as getting to the tilt motor on an old OMC outdrive!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-08-2011 at 11:38pm

Hay Doc! sounds like you have it down pat Ill get a good quilt that,s gonna suck!

Date Posted: December-11-2011 at 3:54pm
Spoke with the owner last night! we are going to talk some more and try to make a deal i hope! boat sounds like it needs stringers and floor do to previous repairs, v drive sounds to be bad do to water intrusion internally. been sitting like tat for 2 yrs. the manifolds are good {no welding} motor has ben frozen and new block installed, hull is free of stress cracks some dings along edge. but gotta love the potential. will keep ya posted!

Date Posted: December-11-2011 at 4:25pm
Are you trying to corner the market Jeff ???

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: December-11-2011 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Are you trying to corner the market Jeff ???
   would be nice getting one that the gell is good picture this 3 separators high speed pass side by side! nice calander pic. gonna need 2 drivers any takers?

Date Posted: December-11-2011 at 5:06pm
Hay Bob [separator] tell me about your boats jeff

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: December-11-2011 at 5:49pm
oh, I love v-drives, a 1:1 is a weekend in the Pokono's, a v-drive is a trip to Europe...tread wisely,
put it to you this way a new BW v-drive retail is 8200.00

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: December-11-2011 at 5:51pm
use it as buying power

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: December-11-2011 at 7:31pm
OMG! 8200 bones Eric do ya know if you can just buy the gears? the sep i baught in main came with an extra v drive case, but rusty gears the freeport might become a donor boat.HA HA!!

Date Posted: December-11-2011 at 9:11pm
When you want to be like a Hunt brother and corner the market,you gotta pay

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: December-11-2011 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

When you want to be like a Hunt brother and corner the market,you gotta pay
I liked that!

Date Posted: December-11-2011 at 9:56pm
Jeff weren't you looking for a horn? Would this work?

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: December-11-2011 at 10:02pm
Gary! what are thay off of thay look close to what i had in mind?

Date Posted: December-11-2011 at 10:22pm
call me if your not busy- two two four eight two eight two nine two six

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: January-30-2012 at 12:38am
Up date! owner just called and said he is going to sell boat to me! will know more details in the next few weeks. will keep ya posted. jeff

Posted By: Keeganino
Date Posted: January-30-2012 at 1:13am
Dang Jeff talk about cornering the market! Gonna have to change your handle name to Sepracons!

-------------
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4897" rel="nofollow - 1973 Skier

Date Posted: March-26-2012 at 9:46pm
New Update! finalized deal on the blue sep, sent down payment today, any body coming this way from MO?    

Posted By: DrStevens
Date Posted: March-26-2012 at 11:37pm
Congrats, 2 Seps, and a Mustang, correct me on your inventory? Good thing the new barn is big!

Date Posted: March-27-2012 at 9:16am
Hello doc! here we go, 5 separators 1 70 3 72,s 1 75i/o 71 mustang , 67 mustang, 77 martinique parts boat, 74 southwind H/M powered jet drive and my boys freeport v drive. plus 7 other yard ornaments, one pile that is leaving today! was a doner for the sep project

Posted By: DrStevens
Date Posted: March-27-2012 at 10:54am
Sign for the new barn, CCC, Coldwater Correct Craft, or Connorsons Correct Craft.

Posted By: Lakeview
Date Posted: March-27-2012 at 12:08pm
Good Luck with the Baby Blue "Beauty" Jeff.When she arrives home shoot me an eMail-I can help you out with any V drive issues-also want to talk to you about your V drive 72 separator. Jim

-------------
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier

Posted By: Bladezilla
Date Posted: September-23-2014 at 1:57pm
We had one of these speedy odd balls on a small lake in northern Indiana in the mid 1970's. Top end, tuned, 1/2 quart low on oil, stripped with just a driver on a slick lake was 62 mph. The 70s was the era of the almighty JET boat. The Jolly Rogers, Check Mates and such with their 455 ci engines and shallow draft were the king of most lakes, but not our lake. They quickly learned that from a roll they had no chance so they started wanting a standing start.An old friend and devoted jet boat fan just knew he could beat that odd looking bubble windshielded deep draft with a 351 C. After several failed attempts he was going for broke. He pulled his boat out of the water, cleaned and waxed the hull, tuned up that gigantic 455, installed a brand new impeller, filled it with primo gas, cleaned out anything that wasn't necessary and sent his brother over to get me, literally, the minute he got it back in the water. It was a crappy chilly, overcast, drizzly day and I wanted to wait but he'd have no part of that. Plus, the lake was deserted. I fired up and went over.The sound it made was amazing and when I reved her people on the other end of the lake knew what boat it was.I pulled up for the contest and Mike was chomping at the bit. The confident smile on his face was blinding. He KNEW today was his day. He wanted a standing start, naturally, since his boat drafted a third what the Correct Craft did. And so it went. He got everything he wanted the way he wanted at top form. We were racing pretty much the length of the lake, around the ski jump on the far end and back. Out of the hole he took me by a good 8 boats. He looked back at me with jubilation and laughed his fist pumping butt off,.......but, up on plane, I was gaining. The worried look on his face when he saw I was reeling him in was frantic and priceless. Like he was looking for the nitrous switch he didn't have. About half way to the ski jump I overtook him and gave his a massive shot of tail spray. Ended up beating him by a quarter LAKE length. It was a fun boat that didn't really look fast. Somebody told me if I put on a "2 blade chrome speed prop" it would improve performance but that made no sense and I trusted Correct Craft to do the right thing. It had worked so far. The boat eventually ended up in the Florida keys at a ski school. Every blue one I see, which isn't many, I wonder if that's her. Post more pictures guys!!

-------------
www.nicnac.net

Date Posted: September-23-2014 at 7:26pm
Where the heck has Jeff been???

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: September-23-2014 at 9:51pm
Awesome story and a good question! I miss seeing the bubble windshields.

Print Page | Close Window