Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24264
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 3:36pm

Topic: 60's Correct Craft script emblems
Posted By: TRBenj
Subject: 60's Correct Craft script emblems
Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 6:56pm
Over the last year, Ive been working to get the 60's metal Correct Craft emblems reproduced. Long story short, we finally got a few sets made- and they look pretty good. Theyre chrome plated brass- so much higher quality than the original (pot metal) emblems. The downside is that the final costs ended up being a bit higher than planned. I need to make a decision on whether or not to produce more, or if these 2 pairs were essentially a failed experiment. Any and all input on what price the market would bear on these would be appreciated! Feel free to post comments publicly, or email if you'd rather keep them private: TRBenj@gmail.com

Thanks!

New emblems on top, original on the bottom:

Replies:
Posted By: Jllogan
Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 7:00pm
here is on in brass on ebay for 95.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Correct-Craft-Boat-Name-Script-/110782362471?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item19cb24b367%20 - emblem

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5792&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1986 Ski Nautique 2001

Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 7:14pm
Those are the wrong emblems- they are much smaller (10" vs. 15") and meant for a 50's boat. Still, you'd need to have them chromed, which ended up being more than half the cost.

50's vs. 60's emblems:

The 60's emblems that I had made are not currently available from any other source, as far as I know.

-------------

Posted By: Jllogan
Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 7:27pm
what do you want to charge? I was just giving a market benchmark. It was all I could find. I noticed they were not chrome so I am sure yours is nicer. So you could charge at least 100.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5792&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1986 Ski Nautique 2001

Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

what do you want to charge? I was just giving a market benchmark. It was all I could find. I noticed they were not chrome so I am sure yours is nicer. So you could charge at least 100.

I would prefer not to charge less than they cost me to make! But that will depend on what the market will bear, hence the question.

-------------

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 7:39pm
Tim, Those look great. They rarely come up, but when they do a pair of nice ones go for $200-$250 on ebay and have a lot of bidders.

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 7:49pm
I would think anyone looking for the right details on their boat would pay whatever you needed If it were for my boat , I would pay 200 250 without crying.   by the way tim when i make bruce a new bow stop for his barracuda trailer he thought you might need one also? .. I might make a half dozen at a time. it would be for cost of materials $25 $30 each at most i assume

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 7:54pm
Peter, I emailed you a picture of a bow stop today.

Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 8:00pm
Thanks for the input on value, guys!

Peter, Bruce is right- Id love to grab a bow stop from you if you pop a few out. That price seems more than reasonable- sign me up! Actually, I may take 2.

-------------

Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 9:03pm
good i will get at them before xmas   thanks bruce that should be enough description . tim would yours be as wide for the smaller hull trailer and as tall?

-------------

Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 9:09pm
Peter, Im pretty sure that the dimensions that Bruce is giving you are from the bowstop on his #2. Judging by the pics, its the same one I have on my trailers- so that should work perfectly.

-------------

Posted By: ChristinesMarine
Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 9:29pm
Tim,

Email me.....may want several

OLD NAUTIQUES never DIE.......but they have KILLER WAKES

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 9:38pm
Just for reference guy's I had my originals rechromed for 150 ea.Since you made them out of brass Tim they should last even longer than the originals too. There is a guy on the Donzi site that reproduced the ones they needed for 250 a set and later dropped them to 225 shipped.Don't know how many he had made but later he ran off another set of 25.I think the market is there but don't know how fast you could move them unless you went on ebay.Then comes up the question do you need an ok from Correct Craft?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 9:48pm
George, is that you? Email sent!

Gary, good data point there, thanks. The size on these is what drove up the costs a bit- due to the longer length, they had some casting issues, which in turn drove up plating costs. Im guessing the Donzi emblems might have been a little easier? They had to have been shorter. Either way, Im seeing if there are ways to try and control some of the costs and determine if its worth moving forward or not. The operation was pretty small this go around, so there werent many economies of scale to be had.

Either way, its worth noting that Im not really looking to turn these into a big money maker. Just trying to fill a gap since these are NLA... and Im fortunate to have a few pairs on hand that can be used to make the mold. I just dont want to lose my shirt if they cant be sold for what they cost to make!

-------------

Posted By: ChristinesMarine
Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 10:12pm
Tim,

It is me !! I finally decided to join. I had some reservations ethically as an advertiser but decided I could try to be helpful without looking greedy.

Posted By: MartyMabe
Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I would think anyone looking for the right details on their boat would pay whatever you needed If it were for my boat , I would pay 200 250 without crying.   by the way tim when i make bruce a new bow stop for his barracuda trailer he thought you might need one also? .. I might make a half dozen at a time. it would be for cost of materials $25 $30 each at most i assume

AGREED!

Bow stop for #2???? What all does this include?? Just the board, or the bracket too!??

Ready to bolt on????   Send me a pic Peter! I might be in the market for 2 also!!!

mtmabe@northstate.net

Thanks,

Marty

-------------
66 Skylark
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5041" rel="nofollow - 93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!

Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Either way, its worth noting that Im not really looking to turn these into a big money maker. Just trying to fill a gap since these are NLA... and Im fortunate to have a few pairs on hand that can be used to make the mold. I just dont want to lose my shirt if they cant be sold for what they cost to make!

I understand completely and commend you for the effort Tim. Do you think the more you make you can get a break on them? Or is it that the volume would too low for that? Or that the casting,polishing and plating is pretty much a fixxed cost?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: 65 'cuda
Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 11:30pm
If they were made to order, (paid for prior to production), what would they cost? At what volume would you get a price break?

-------------
Gary

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=941" rel="nofollow - 1965 Barracuda SS

Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 11:39pm
Marty i will make one first for Bruce then get pics out there then if they are correct i will make anyone some . thanks

-------------

Posted By: connorssons
Date Posted: December-02-2011 at 12:15am
Im in! throw the price out there, thay look great

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: December-02-2011 at 12:58am
I need a bowstop, please post a photo. Thanks!!

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: December-02-2011 at 2:20am
Are you licensed to reproduce them? I have license to reproduce logos from the 1940's- 1980's.

-------------
Tim D

Date Posted: December-02-2011 at 10:38am
Tim, I'd like a pair. Seems like there's decent interest.

Date Posted: December-02-2011 at 10:59am
Tim, no license (yet). I figured that wouldnt be necessary at the current volume (2 pairs) that I may take a loss on. No profit involved- just making them for myself and some friends at this point.

Im working with the shop to see if costs can be controlled a little better- if not, this little project is likely over. If we can somehow get these back on track, maybe the market would bear a small volume run... in which case, contacting CC may be the right thing to do.

The shop indicated that there werent many economies of scale to be had with the way they produce these parts, unfortunately. Each part requires a lot of touch labor.

Jeff, email me: TRBenj@gmail.com

-------------

Date Posted: December-02-2011 at 11:09am
Does licensing even need to be brought up in a non commercial, custom run for Correct Craft owners that need to replace what they already own?

Date Posted: December-02-2011 at 11:28am
speaking of licenses ...(thread jack) if you are aware of and support the bill that has already passed the house of representatives and is being brought to the senate for a national right to carry law. please inform your senator of your feelings ...

-------------

Posted By: Got Tiques
Date Posted: December-02-2011 at 11:29am
Tim, A great demonstration of persistence, technical success, and attention to detail. I will purchase one pair at the "Market Price", as the pot metal ones on the Classic are slightly pitted. Just like a 5-star restaurant, It is what it is.

Peter, Although we haven't met yet, I am meeting more of the members from New England. I'd like to buy a bow stop for my '63 Classic; payment in the form of your choosing!! It should be similar to a Barracuda. We can arrange transport details later, but maybe we could hook up with Tim's, as I'll see him over Christmas. Thanks, Todd

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: December-02-2011 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Does licensing even need to be brought up in a non commercial, custom run for Correct Craft owners that need to replace what they already own?

Bruce,
You are correct. I believe Tim D needs it due to his commercial sales. Even if Tim B makes a few sets and sells them, CC is not going to go after him. It's not worth their time and certainly not worth the lawyers costs. We are also talking about restoration parts and not new products - there's a big difference. Does GM go after the guy who reproduced a hood emblem for his old Chevy? No!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-02-2011 at 8:17pm
The whole license thing started with the help of Pete. He got mad as hell about some retro design shirts I made. He had the post moved. Then Keith wanted to sell them on the web store. Then Correct Craft said I wasn't licensed to produce them. The VP of Correct Craft called me. A company called Threads had the apparel license. Seems they don't let more than one company make the same stuff. So then I got licensed, but it's for guide pole covers, shock tubes, flags and decals. The decals are mostly for restoration projects, which is the majority of what I sell. They don't license ANYONE to sell on ebay. So all that stuff you see on there is bootleg, unless it's a dealer getting rid of inventory.

-------------
Tim D

Date Posted: December-02-2011 at 8:45pm
Well I, for one, thought it stunk when you had to stop making t-shirts, Tim. I have a bunch of them- Threads doesnt offer anything nearly as cool as what you were able to produce.

Anyways, as far as the emblems go, Im not mass producing these things- and as far as I know, producing them would not be in direct competition with anything Correct Craft corporate is doing. I would think they'd be proud of the fact that people are going out of their way to restore their old boats?

Regardless, Im just trying to make a decision as to whether it makes sense to continue with this project or not. I believe one pair of emblems is already spoken for, Im sure I can find someone who needs the other. The question is whether another run is justified... just trying to assess the demand, and at what pricepoint it starts to make less sense.

Thanks to all thus far for your input!

-------------

Date Posted: December-02-2011 at 9:30pm
Tim if you could get a commitment or deposit from everyone that is truly interested . I would worry about all the other legalities later ,(there wont be any )   I would also love to get a set of those seats you have started on .

-------------

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: December-03-2011 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

The whole license thing started with the help of Pete.

What are you like 2 yrs old??

Whose fault is it you post something this ridiculous acting like a total Dik???

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: December-03-2011 at 12:51pm
I investigated reproducing these same emblems about 5 years ago, someone brought up the license issue, so I called Correct Craft. If a one time run of a few emblems was to be made, CC did not want to be involved, if an ongoing offering was to be made, the process would have been really, really simple. CC wanted to inspect and approve a sample of the emblem, and wanted a $5.00 "royalty" for each pair sold. Easy as that. Keep in mind that this was prior to the current ownership/mamnagement at CC.

Tim, if you move forward on this, and the costs get better, the 'cuda could use a set! Thanks for your efforts on this.

-------------
Gary

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=941" rel="nofollow - 1965 Barracuda SS

Posted By: connorssons
Date Posted: December-03-2011 at 11:50pm
Tim! i will take a set if there is one left, tried e mailing, sorry. call me 269 506 1249 jeff. looking forward from hearing from ya! thanks

Date Posted: December-04-2011 at 8:46am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

The whole license thing started with the help of Pete.

What are you like 2 yrs old??

Whose fault is it you post something this ridiculous acting like a total Dik???

Tim,
If you mean myself, do me a favor and quote me the statement I made that required you to get a license. I'm sorry but I just can't remember the statement or the wording that would force you to seek and obtain the license. Thanks.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: adamt
Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 3:49am

Pete getting upset over something!?!? Say it isn't so!!!

-------------
-Adam

1973 Skier

Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 10:58am
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

Tim! i will take a set if there is one left, tried e mailing, sorry. call me 269 506 1249 jeff. looking forward from hearing from ya! thanks

Jeff, Im hit or miss on the phone (many here can attest to that!). Its best to email me: TRBenj@gmail.com

Gary, good info on the prior licensing arrangement... Ill keep that in mind if this project ends up going anywhere.

-------------

Posted By: nautique frk
Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 3:25pm
I just purchased a set of reproduced 60's emblems off of ebay made in Brass they will have to be chromed I spent 95 bucks ? Item 110778754353

If you remake I will take a set.

Date Posted: December-05-2011 at 3:41pm
Mike, see my previous post- I believe you bought the incorrect emblems if you were looking for the 60's style.

Those are the wrong emblems- they are much smaller (10" vs. 15") and meant for a 50's boat. Still, you'd need to have them chromed, which ended up being more than half the cost.

50's vs. 60's emblems:

The 60's emblems that I had made are not currently available from any other source, as far as I know.

As I stated before, the cost of the plating is greater than the cost of the casting... and thus, pricing (per pair) would be nowhere near the $95 level.

-------------

Date Posted: December-06-2011 at 8:25pm
So the 60's ones are longer ? I need a set for my 63 starflite

Date Posted: December-06-2011 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by nautique frk nautique frk wrote:

So the 60's ones are longer ?

Yup. According to the auction you linked to, those emblems are for a '58 and are 10" long. The 60's version is 15" long and is not available anywhere, unless you can find them used.

Shoot me an email: TRBenj@gmail.com

-------------

Posted By: Alex47
Date Posted: December-06-2011 at 9:13pm
I dont mean to threadjack but I've noticed alot of interest for bowstops in this thread. For those of you who are interested in a bowstop, I just posted one in the for sale section.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5444&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1977 Ski Tique

Date Posted: December-06-2011 at 9:39pm
Hard to believe it was 5 years ago I made some plastic castings.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3888&KW=&PID=28504&title=look-what-i-made#28504 - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3888&KW=&PID=28504&title=look-what-i-made#28504

This pic is missing.

-------------
Tim D

Posted By: wingwrench
Date Posted: December-07-2011 at 12:38am
I need to buy a vowel.

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: December-07-2011 at 2:43am
And a "n"

Date Posted: December-07-2011 at 11:01am
Tim D,

How do those hold up? they would be better than the decals I have now.

-------------
Gary

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: December-07-2011 at 12:18pm
Tim,
We all understand why you won't share with us the price of the parts... No one wants to bare the cost of the tooling in one set of emblems... What you may want to do is to look at how many sets it would take to get the total cost down to a reasonable number say $100-$150 per set and do a group buy and pop the parts... If that's 10-20 or 100 sets, at least you'll know what your break even is or comfortable margin worth doing...

These are rare and needed items for restoration.No one is going to expect these parts to be cheap, so unless you want to just chaulk this up as a bust, lay it on the line and see if it works...

Suggestion: I understand why you went to brass, but in the end it really kills the cost.. The chrome is going to last the same on brass or metal. It will still pit etc.. Perhaps a different material would make it more worth while...???

Thanks for taking the time to go through the process. It's greatly appreciated..

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: December-07-2011 at 1:16pm
Moj, I appreciate the input.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, the volume discount was really small (~5% for a run of 200). This is using the same sand casting process as they used for the trial run. Not sure theyre set up to do other types of molds/tooling to get the costs down for greater volume.

The original plan was to do a set in brass/chrome and another in aluminum... they had some problems casting the brass, so didnt even bother trying the aluminum- but had they been successful, the cost of those would be about half (since no plating would be required).

Right now its looking like the project is dead, at least for now. I think Im going to cut my losses and regroup. Maybe try to find a few different suppliers that can cut costs more effectively sometime down the road.

I still have one pair of new emblems that are not spoken for... so if someone wants them, email me: TRBenj@gmail.com

For those who are desperately looking for a pair and dont need something show quality, I have a set or 2 that I may be willing to part with. They vary in condition (some more pitted than others), but shoot me an email if youre interested.

-------------

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: December-07-2011 at 1:28pm

Right now its looking like the project is dead, at least for now. I think Im going to cut my losses and regroup. Maybe try to find a few different suppliers that can cut costs more effectively sometime down the road.

Tim, drop me an email d.dorsen@att.net

DD

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: December-07-2011 at 2:21pm
Dave, email sent!

-------------

Date Posted: December-07-2011 at 2:31pm
http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89576&p=721759&hilit=+casting#p721759 - Take a look at page 5 and the guy who casts Zamak

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-08-2011 at 2:35pm
Tim D do you still make in plastic they look nice and I guess you can chrome plastic right ?

Date Posted: December-14-2011 at 6:30pm
My suppliers determined that they could not reign in the costs on these, so I am officially declaring this project dead. Perhaps I will regroup sometime down the road and get some more made using new suppliers, but at the current rate of my other projects, dont hold your breath.

Both new pairs are spoken for, but I may have 1-2 nice original pairs available. If interested, please email me: TRBenj@gmail.com

-------------

Date Posted: December-14-2011 at 8:08pm
I haven't made any emblems in a while. I think the plastic is the wrong kind for chroming.

-------------
Tim D

Date Posted: December-14-2011 at 10:30pm
Tim Benjamin . what did i miss for the cost of producing a pair? sorry if it was posted already or if youd rather keep it private

-------------

Date Posted: December-15-2011 at 10:17am

I haven't made any emblems in a while. I think the plastic is the wrong kind for chroming.

Tim,
It's not the type of plastic that allows chroming but rather the prep. Plastics are sprayed with a conductive coating that allows them to be put in the plating tank. If you have ever seen the chrome peeled off plastic, you'll notice a coating under the chrome. Usually it's a grey color almost like a primer.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-15-2011 at 11:42am
Peter, my cost was right at $300 per pair. It seems that is beyond what most would be willing to pay. I couldnt afford to hold any stock at that price... and the few places I checked with didnt seem interested in doing so either! Perhaps I'll have better luck with a different foundry/plater in the future.

-------------

Date Posted: December-15-2011 at 5:00pm
thanks I understand .

-------------

Date Posted: December-20-2011 at 5:29pm
Skip the chrome.
Offer polished brass for 250.00 pair.

If I were in need, I'd rather have brass than plated pot-metal.

Leave the plating option open for those that don't mind spending the extra for a more accurate re-pop.

Other companies who re-issue their own products, make slight changes so that their re-issued product is not easily confused with an original.

Date Posted: December-20-2011 at 5:52pm
Al, not a bad idea. Maybe I will offer both if I ever give it another go-around. I had high hopes for the lower cost aluminum option- Im bummed it didnt pan out.

For now, I believe I'll have 2 pairs of nice, original 60's emblems available to sell. One pair is being taken in on trade for the new brass/chrome, the other was mine that was used to create the molds. If anyone is interested, please email me: TRBenj@gmail.com

I also have a pair of original 50's emblems (10" long) that I will let go for a reasonable price.

-------------

Date Posted: December-20-2011 at 6:35pm
Question,   Did you use your own scrap brass or did you have to pay for their brass ?

Date Posted: December-20-2011 at 7:02pm
I paid for theirs... I was fresh out of my own scrap.

-------------

Date Posted: December-20-2011 at 8:49pm
I still think you should get a hold of the guy who casts the Zmak!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-20-2011 at 9:03pm
Pete, somehow I missed your first post on that topic... I just followed the link and sent him an email.

I just touched base with John B and may have found a better source on the plating too... so another plan is in the works!

-------------

Posted By: Rockymtnsalom
Date Posted: May-31-2014 at 10:19pm
I know this is a very old thread but do you still have any emblems? Im looking for some for my 1970 Ski Nautique and the old metal ones are proving hard to track down.

Date Posted: June-01-2014 at 10:08am
Cooper you didn't look hard enough http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28501&PN=1&title=metal-cc-logos-emblems" rel="nofollow - link to repo's

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Rockymtnsalom
Date Posted: June-01-2014 at 1:21pm
I don't know how I missed that! But thank you I really appreciate it
Cooper

Posted By: Freeport-Man
Date Posted: December-12-2017 at 11:52am
Hello:
FreeportMan here -- in Akron Ohio.
Questions:
.1) Do you still have any metal CC emblems available?
.2) IF SO -- what is the price?
I might be interested in purchasing one of them from you.
Best regards and best wishes for a fine forthcoming Holiday Season.
DH

-------------
DAH

Print Page | Close Window