Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17628
Printed Date: April-19-2024 at 5:24pm

Topic: 1979 barefoot supreme? Questions... *Updated*
Posted By: Mrusso94
Subject: 1979 barefoot supreme? Questions... *Updated*
Date Posted: May-19-2010 at 4:51am

I'm considering buying a 79 Barefoot Supreme from a local skier.. I cannot however find much info on this boat.. In fact i find a lot on the Barefoot Nautique, but not much on the Supreme.. Is it the same as the Ski Supreme but with the bigger motor? Does it come with a ford 460?? I know the nautiques came with the 454..
   Anything i should look for... I'l be checking the stringers and floors.. any common problems with this boat aside from typical issues with a 32 year old boat? Also.. where can i get parts for this boat. The boats trailer apparently rolled over its chocks into a dirt pile and bent the rudder and prop.. what are the chances the prop shaft got bent as well? I will probably need to replace the rudder bearing mount flange.. whats the best source for these parts?   Any additional info/pics/experiences is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: May-19-2010 at 9:22am
my biggest concern would be the rot, then the engine, its a 79, chances are there is rot....look closely

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: May-19-2010 at 2:49pm

Yeah I figured, He claims the boat only had 365 hours on it which doesn't make sense to me... Unless it sat for a long time at some point.. Whats the best source for parts on these older boats? I will likely need some rudder hardware and a prop..

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: May-19-2010 at 3:53pm
You best source for underwater hardware is:

http://www.buckalgonquin.com/pages/ProductPages/Products.html - Buck Algonquin

Chances are high that it's what the boat had on it originally.

Yes, check for rot!!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-19-2010 at 4:08pm
Thanks, any specific areas that i should check that are really prone to rot? I was gonna check all the floors and the stringers at the motor mounts..

Date Posted: May-19-2010 at 4:17pm
Since you haven't purchased the boat yet, it limits you to non invasive checks for rot. Checking to see if engine lags tighten up is good but very limited to a small area. You can go over areas with a small hammer and tap listening for loose glass on the stringer wood. This however is really tough because it's open to interpretation of the sound. Then look for soft stops in the floor and visually check for cracking in the glass on the stringers. On CC's with bad stringers, some will have gel cracking roughly parallel to the floor on the hull sides.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-19-2010 at 6:12pm
great thanks for the info

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: May-19-2010 at 6:50pm
How do you intend to use the boat? It does some things well but certainly not everything.
What's important to you? wakes, big or small? ski, board or tube, blub or cruise? Dry or wet. Speed or economy?

Make sure to take it at speed into some chop. Some tend to rudder stall. Usually the G mold boats but not exclusively. Most the barefoot boats were g-molds i'm told.

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: phickman
Date Posted: May-19-2010 at 6:58pm
Do your homework on this one, If I remember correctly on a Supreme Industries boat as well as an old Supra, you have to remove the deck from the hull to do a proper stringer job. This is an added layer of work you should know about before embarking on this one. If you stay on the Correct Craft side you don't have to walk down that path. Although, this Barefoot Supreme will be cool, you won't meet yourself at the lake or river. Post some pics.

Best of luck and welcome to the world of Inboard Ski boats, Paul

-------------
Paul Hickman

Date Posted: May-20-2010 at 3:30am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

How do you intend to use the boat? It does some things well but certainly not everything.
What's important to you? wakes, big or small? ski, board or tube, blub or cruise? Dry or wet. Speed or economy?

Make sure to take it at speed into some chop. Some tend to rudder stall. Usually the G mold boats but not exclusively. Most the barefoot boats were g-molds i'm told.

The boat will be used for slalom and bare footing, and sometimes a quick cruise on nice days..

Date Posted: May-20-2010 at 3:34am
Originally posted by phickman phickman wrote:

Do your homework on this one, If I remember correctly on a Supreme Industries boat as well as an old Supra, you have to remove the deck from the hull to do a proper stringer job. This is an added layer of work you should know about before embarking on this one. If you stay on the Correct Craft side you don't have to walk down that path. Although, this Barefoot Supreme will be cool, you won't meet yourself at the lake or river. Post some pics.

Best of luck and welcome to the world of Inboard Ski boats, Paul

I will look in to that issue.. So far I haven't come up with much, found a few pictures of someone doing stringers and they didn't split the deck.. They weren't very detailed though, hipefully the stringers will just be in good condition. I'm looking at the boat on saturday, I will let you know how it goes. Also, what would some of you pay for this boat assuming little or no rot? It needs some upholstery, possibly a rudder and rudder bearing flange housing.. Also its possible it needs a new prop shaft (prop took a hit, not sure if shaft was damaged) Its only got 365 hours on it, and it has the cruise control..

Date Posted: May-20-2010 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Mrusso94 Mrusso94 wrote:

The boat will be used for slalom and bare footing, and sometimes a quick cruise on nice days..

Just beware these boats can be uncomfortable in > 6" chop, something to consider if you are on big water.
Slalom wake is typically very good on these boats for its vintage, but the side spray is harsh 28' off or less with any headwind. A small block could be better for slalom because the boats are very weight sensitive, and the wake rapidly improves as you remove weight.

Barefooting, it will have the HP but will be quite turbulant above 40 mph.

Not a great wakeboard boat but good to learn the basics without bad habits induced from too-big wakes.

I have separated the deck to repair mine, its not too hard.

If you are looking for the best slalom/barefoot combination, its not ideal, i have others in mind. But if you're looking ot get on the water fast and (maybe) cheap, it could work.
Just don't loose composure over the big block and ignore the rest.

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: May-20-2010 at 1:11pm
I here ya.. Honestly, i cant be to picky with my boat.. I'm in college right now and need some cheap just to get me out there.. I ski on weekend mornings with a friend on his malibu bare footer response but i'd love to have something of my own. This boat is listed for 1500, but it needs some work, i can probably get it for about 1,000. Though i tend to get a bit spoiled on my friends malibu, i have skied off of everything from small outboards and jet skis to "power sailers".. The fact that this boat is an actual ski boat is good enough for me.. Plus, its a 32 year old ski boat, there's something about thats just cool about that. And honestly, I can think of more cons then pros in having the 460, but then again.. its a 460, you know what I mean.

Do you have any pics of your deck off repair job??

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:10pm
The barefoot supremes are few and far between but they are so freakin cool. My uncle has an 87 ski supreme its a super cool boat. The graphics and the fact that its older has always attracted me to the barefoot supremes. Plus big block power ;). They ride like a log wagon in chop though. Basically everything all the guys have told you is accurate from what Ive heard.

I remember reading somewhere one year of a supreme had a recall for the stringers coming apart from the hull during operation which resulted in 45 mph in reverse at the will of the boat . But Im sure all those have been recalled by now haha.

The barefoot supreme hull is exactly the same as a ski supreme if Im correct.

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:14pm
You are in Waldo territory looking for a quality ski boat for $1,000. Good luck man! A slightly rotted out boat will get you a few seasons on the water.

-------------

Posted By: behindpropeller
Date Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:21pm
You can buy it for $1000 but the fact is that you might end up putting 2x that into it and you will still have a boat worth $1000.

I would save your $$ and look for a '93 or new ski nautique in the fall. In fall you will get a great price compared to shopping right now.

Tim

-------------

Date Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:22pm
Yeah, at that price, if you just want to get on the water, it could be the ticket, as long as its back isn't broken.
Guys here, including me, have polished bigger turds. Usually with good results, just be careful not to get too invested.

-------------

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:39pm
Yeah.. I'm aware of the investment ill be making.. I work at a marina in northern NJ, so i have access to supplies, parts, tools etc. for pretty cheap.. hopefully that helps to keep the cost down.. we will see, i havent seen the boat in person yet, Im going on friday.. it could be a basket case.

Posted By: behindpropeller
Date Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:40pm
If you are going to polish a terd dont polish a yugo (supreme), get a Correct Craft (porshe).

Tim

-------------

Date Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:49pm
I would buy a Supreme over a MasterCraft of that era. The approved towboat history list on USAWaterski only goes back to '83, so I'm not even sure what was out there in 1979. A lot of junk came out in the mid 80s.

Pauly-Banana posted a nice MFG comparo from around 82/83.

-------------

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: May-20-2010 at 4:58pm
I would hardly compare a Supreme to a Yugo. In its time, it was a pretty good boat. It certainly wasn't a low price point or disposable boat.

However, the value of a Supreme of that vintage is lower than that of a CC or MC by a couple grand. I see early Supremes from 3 to 6 K routinely. The MCs and CCs of same vintage are a grand or two more.
On the other hand, it will cost you the same to do floors and stringers or engine work. Thus, for a basket case, all things being equal, I'd try to find a CC or MC. If you can find a Supreme for a really good price, and it's safe to operate, why not go for it.

You may also have a bit more trouble finding answers to questions on Supremes. The company changed hands two or three times since the early 80s. They still build Supremes, but the company today has practically no relationship to the company of the 80s, other than its name.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: May-20-2010 at 6:11pm
Im with hollywood.

Gotta ski, are you the resident turd polisher hahahah?

Date Posted: May-20-2010 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Im with hollywood.

Gotta ski, are you the resident turd polisher hahahah?

nope, Grand Poobah turd polisher

-------------

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: May-21-2010 at 11:38am
Hahaha boom.

Date Posted: May-26-2010 at 4:08am
So i bought the boat today.. paid a little over 600 for it.. I know its not a correct craft, i've always been a CC guy but I do like this boat, and I cant even find another picture of this boat online anywhere, so its seems to be a rare find. Stringers and floors seem solid, the 460 purs, just needs some cleaning up.. The whole interior needs to be done but theres not much to these older boats. The main thing is the rudder repair, the trailer rolled into a dirt pile and the rudder stopped it. Bent the rudder and lifted the backing board that the rudder bearing flange bolts to right of the inside of the hull.. Ill get some pics of the damage when i pull the tank. Other then that it seems to be a sound vessel, just needs a lot of cleaning.

Date Posted: May-26-2010 at 1:28pm
Oh thats going to be a beauty. Good buy either way for the price man. We messed up the rudder on our 68 skylark backing it up onto the car trailer I was watching the tires and didnt think about the rudder being to low. We were able to get the rudder bent back but I had to glass in a new piece of wood back there and we ended up having to buy a new rudder box. All in all no big deal. Cost us 120 for the box and whatever the wood/glass was.

Date Posted: May-26-2010 at 4:42pm
Ran across this 81 on craigslist a few years ago.

-------------

Posted By: horkn
Date Posted: May-26-2010 at 6:46pm
For 600 or so, that is a steal.

I would definitely not call a ski supreme a yugo. It's actually a very good boat. Even if it needs a full stringer repair, you more than likely can run it a while and plan on the repair work if you can do it on your own.

fwiw, When I bought my 78 martinique in 2001, it had under 200 hours on it.

-------------
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg

Date Posted: May-27-2010 at 1:07am
Mrusso you lucky shi!t.

Hate to burst your dream, but that boat is not a 79.

Everything about it sez to me that it is an 85,86 or 87 boat. I'm betting its an '85

If so, the slalom wakes won't be quite so nice. However, its a composite boat so the only rot should be the seat bases.

The trailer design, the decals, the while gel under the waterline, the driver seat, all say its an 85+.

-------------

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: May-27-2010 at 1:31am

Do you have any pics of your deck off repair job??

yes, but i think now you won't need them!

-------------

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: May-27-2010 at 2:17am
I knew the ts6m or whatever were composite designed, but I didn't know about that model.

If so, that was an even better score than the great deal I thought it was.

The one that was posted from CL as a 81 looks older than the one you got, so while I don't know my supra paint year looks, it definitely looks newer.

Go out and get yourself a new raw water pump impeller while you are at it;) I can pretty much guarantee the one in it is shot.

-------------
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior

Date Posted: May-27-2010 at 2:17am

Mrusso you lucky shi!t.

Hate to burst your dream, but that boat is not a 79.

Everything about it sez to me that it is an 85,86 or 87 boat. I'm betting its an '85

If so, the slalom wakes won't be quite so nice. However, its a composite boat so the only rot should be the seat bases.

The trailer design, the decals, the while gel under the waterline, the driver seat, all say its an 85+.

Wow! You really think so??? I would be floored if thats true, I remember checking the title against the hull number and im pretty sure the hull number had a 79 in it..   Either way, floors and stringers seem to be in good shape as far as i can tell..

Date Posted: May-27-2010 at 11:16am
Check out the last two numbers in the HIN

If its not an 85+, somebody went through rediculous effort to make it look like one.

-------------

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: May-27-2010 at 11:47am
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

I knew the ts6m or whatever were composite designed, but I didn't know about that model.

The one that was posted from CL as a 81 looks older than the one you got, so while I don't know my supra paint year looks, it definitely looks newer.

You don't know your Supremes either.

-------------

Date Posted: May-27-2010 at 10:21pm
Hull number says 79.. Anyone got any pictures of a "true" 79 so i can see the differences?? Also, i know the floors are wood, did the later ones have composite floors to? The wood is still in good shape, surprisingly. I plan to tear into this thing next tuesday at our shop, (I work at a marina). I'm in college right now, and have been looking to get something cheap just to get me out there.. My plan right now is to make all necessary repairs, spruce it up a bit and run it. I've already become attached to this thing i think, so in the future i may go for a full resto. Anyway, I know this is a CC forum but if anyone is interested ill throw some pics up of the progress as i make headway.   Thanks for all the great help and info thus far..

Date Posted: May-28-2010 at 1:22am

No, I know little about supremes.
http://http://www.sixtiescity.com/PopTV/Images/supremes.jpg - http://www.sixtiescity.com/PopTV/Images/supremes.jpg

I bet there are a lot of things that you don't know as well;)

In any case, $600 is a smokin' deal for a real ski boat that needs a little work.

-------------

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: May-28-2010 at 1:38am
horkn, TSM6 us a Supra, not a Supreme. You were kind of arms down for the jab. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: May-28-2010 at 2:00am
supra, supreme, whatever. LOL

I've got thick skin, and it doesn't bother me. If it did I wouldn't be on this site

Tom

-------------

Posted By: afd414
Date Posted: June-02-2010 at 3:59pm
I'd love to see a pic of that 460... I've only seen them in few rare i/o's

-------------
www.mcfeeandnewton.com

Posted By: dsums
Date Posted: June-03-2010 at 1:26am
I have to go with a couple of the others here. There is no way that is a 79. I owned 87 Ski Supreme from 1991 - last year. I had no structural issues with it at all. It handled like a tournament boat should. had a really comfortable driver setup that was better than some boats of the era. When water ski magazine did the annual boat tests it was a very highly rated boat and if I remember correctly the floor was fibreglass panels not fibreglass over wood. I had just under 800 hrs on it and the person that bought used it a lot last summer and had no issues.If you a decent skier that stays at 15 -22 off the wake is not an issue and with an extended pylon it has decent wake board wakes.

Date Posted: June-03-2010 at 1:35am
Hopefully this will work. Haven't posted pictures here yet.

Date Posted: June-03-2010 at 3:57am
That thing is beautiful..
   I don't who did what to this boat, but it has to be a 79.. the hull number, and the trailer manufacturing date, all say 79. Plus, the dash is consistent with that of the other 79's ive seen.. I have no idea what the specific history of this boat is, but Its certainly starting to intrigue me...
afd414- I will post some pics in the next few days as i started to get into the repairs, the 460 takes up a TON of room under the hood.. the exhuast manifolds hang way over the floor. It aint the prettiest thing right now either, someone poorly painted it, and it looks like it spent some time under water.. but it runs very well. Starts right up at idle and just purs..   One issue Im having trouble sourcing the housing for the raw water pump.. I got the impellers but the previous owner busted the plastic housing.. its a jabsco pump, i haven't been able to find this particular housing. Any suggestions?

Date Posted: June-05-2010 at 4:50pm
Mrusso, Thanks for the compliment. I like to think I kept it in good shape. I love my 196 but that Supreme was a huge part of our life for a long time.
There was a lot of room to work around the motor in the Supreme but I have to think the 460 will fill all usable space. I had 2 F350's with the 460. Had to do the top end on one of them. It is definately a BIG block. Good luck with the project. As always pictures are good.

Date Posted: June-05-2010 at 9:09pm
The big block definitely takes up a lot of space.. actually a lot more then i expected.. Ill get some pics up as I make some progress..

Date Posted: June-09-2010 at 10:51pm
So i started tearing into this thing over the last week or so.. First on the list was the rudder repair so I pulled the tank rudder and post housing.. Things were a little worse then i thought but i think we got her licked. I ended up tearing the older backing board out, laying some fresh glass down, making a new board which was epoxied down and then glassed over with several layers.. I hope to cut a new whole for the rudder mount tomorrow, then i have to straighten the rudder. Any advice on rudder straightening is welcome.

Someone wanted some pics of the 460.. this doesn't really show how much room it takes up, but its a lot..

In these next two pics you can see how the rudder board lifted..

Pulled the board

We essentially made a new "socket" for the rudder mount to sit in and be flush with the bottom of the hull.. this board acted as a mold, glassed in around it and over the top..

Then the board, 3/4'', Was epoxied down with some thickend west system, and glassed over.. Its solid.

While i was working on that, my buddy Jim took care of a nice smash on the corner..

All glassed, filled and sanded, ready for gel..

Once the rudder is in ill get her out on the water to test her out.. then the interior will get pulled apart and the top and sides will get some good cleaning, compounding, and wax.. teak will get some attention as well.. I think i can keep this all under $2,000 including the purchase. The upholstery is gonna be the biggest hit.. if it weren't for that it would be under $1,000 total investment.. We will see though.

Date Posted: June-09-2010 at 11:00pm
There may be a picture missing so I don't see one of the prep steps. The with the new wood for the rudder port before glassing doesn't show much prep on the old glass/hull. I suggest more grinding.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-10-2010 at 2:42am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

There may be a picture missing so I don't see one of the prep steps. The with the new wood for the rudder port before glassing doesn't show much prep on the old glass/hull. I suggest more grinding.

You're correct I didn't take a picture of the prep, it was all ground down and prepped meticulously prior to the glass, actually the biggest problem I ran into was the fact that the previous owner changed the oil by opening the drain plug and letting the oil run into the bilge and out the drain, so the bilge was thoroughly coated in oil, what a mess.. probably used en entire quart of acetone on it and a can of brake clean to make sure it was oil free.

Posted By: Whitfield
Date Posted: June-11-2010 at 10:46pm
Cool Thread .... I like the looks of the old boat / brings back child hood memories.

I've got vague but fond memories of going to the Ski Supreme Factory in Tenessee in 1977 (I was 4). I rode thier in my Grandparents car with my mom and dad. We picked up a new 1977 Ski Supreme. Mom and Dad were both avid local tournament skiers and my dad's parents were a boat dealer ~ I think they bought the Ski Supreme in effort to keep my folks together. Unfortunatly by summer of 78 My partents split and I only got to go on the Ski Supreme a few times that summer with my dad and his date. I don't think we ever used it again and believe it was sold soon after.   
     Just spoke to my dad & grandad trying to learn more about the old Ski Supreme and why they choose Ski Supreme. Dad said it was a branch off from Robbie Shirley and Master Craft with many similarities but was claimed to be a better tournament boat. Once my parents split they soon after quit skiiing all together. Their knowledge of the Ski & boat world ended about 1977.     

*** Anyone got any good pics or Brochure pics of a BLUE 1977 Ski Supreme ???          

-------------
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: June-11-2010 at 11:49pm
Wow,

Great deal for $600 bucks. It looks like you do have wooden stringers. There are probably folks on this site who would love to buy that motor from you.

Donald

Date Posted: June-12-2010 at 3:09am
Yes they wooden, but in surprisingly good shape. The 460 is cool, but is a bit of a pain to work on due to its size.. i forget how big a difference there is until a get under the hood of my boss's SN with the 351 and i can easily reach the starter, block drains, etc. without any effort.. not the case with this motor. I can't wait to get it out on the lake and tach it up though.

Date Posted: September-30-2010 at 2:54pm

So I figured i'd sum up this thread for those of you who expressed an interest. The boat is more or less "done for now" and has been providing hours for the past couple months, with a total invest of around 2,000, including the purchase.

To recap, the boat had rolled down a hill on its trailer, about a quarter mile until the rudder and prop dug into the ground.. the boat sat there for a few years and became the home of many animals, insects, and possibly a few people. There was even some firewood stored in it. I was able to straighten the rudder, and glass in a new board. Prop shaft was straight some how.. The entire interior was redone, and a ton of compounding, teak reconditioning, head gaskets, new windshield, and a million other odds and ends.. the previous pics should give you an idea of what i started with, once all the garbage was removed..

First test run..

Engine had been gone through before, and was put together with a lot of automotive parts.. I made the best of the crusty holley valve covers..

Teak and buffing finished.. replacing windshield and interior..

Ready for action..   (don't worry it doesn't live in the slip)

Overall i'm extremely pleased with the boat.. Excellent wake, hole shot is nice and 53 mph. Also, for skiing on the boom this boat is fantastic. No bow spray to speak of..

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: September-30-2010 at 3:32pm
Wow,

Nice job!!!!!

Good money spent .

Donald

Date Posted: September-30-2010 at 3:36pm
Wow, nice work. It's so cool to see such a transformation. Thank you for taking the time to take and post the pictures.

-------------

Date Posted: September-30-2010 at 3:41pm
It sure came out real nice! Great work!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: skicat
Date Posted: September-30-2010 at 3:58pm
Great looking $2000 boat!

-------------
Greg

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2427&yrstart=1981&yrend=1985" rel="nofollow - 86 BFN

Posted By: MI-nick
Date Posted: September-30-2010 at 5:06pm
sweeeeeeeet!!!!

-------------
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: September-30-2010 at 5:57pm
You can't beat that deal with a stick. Outstanding looks great and for only 2 grand fantastic job.

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: September-30-2010 at 6:08pm
Very well done. The threads on here that document every step of a job are very interesting but one like this that goes from before to after are almost like a magic trick where the magician whips the cover off of something to reveal a complete "metamorphosis" Again, great job. Just shows what you can do with limited outlay.

-------------

Date Posted: September-30-2010 at 8:10pm
Thanks everyone!    And Larry, I do like seeing some of the abbreviated "before and after" threads.. Though i think they can be misleading in how much time are put into these projects. I was lucky, I didn't have to do stringers or a floor on this boat, if I had it I suppose it would have been worth a documentation.. Most of the work was mechanical and cosmetic. The extent of the glass work was the rudder port repair, and the smashed corner.. Also had to re-gel the transom and bottom up to the strut..   The time that must go into some of the actual full restorations on this site is un-imaginable..

thanks again guys..

Posted By: phickman
Date Posted: October-01-2010 at 12:29am
Great Job. To really round this thread off to perfection, take some video of the boat at idle, in action, and looking out the back so we can see the wake. You did a "Supreme" job. Up load them to You Tube and post the link.

-------------
Paul Hickman

Posted By: robrich
Date Posted: October-01-2010 at 1:35am
The boat looks great!

-------------

Date Posted: October-01-2010 at 1:37am
Phickman, I may do that.. i have some video of the first test ride I took i think.. no seats or engine cover, kneeling down at 53 mph with the 460 right in behind me     

Date Posted: October-01-2010 at 11:16am
Well done, and looks great!
Looks like an oj 4-force?
Great prop on that boat for holeshot and a flat slalom and barefoot wake. Notsomuch for top speed but you made that up with the engine.

-------------

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: October-01-2010 at 8:33pm

Great prop on that boat for holeshot and a flat slalom and barefoot wake. Notsomuch for top speed but you made that up with the engine.

Thanks!    And yes that is an OJ, I ended up changing over to an ACME 1459.. the OJ was one we had layin around and it was a 17, it was only letting me turn 4300 rpm so I went with the acme, which increased performance throughout the range..

Date Posted: October-02-2010 at 11:28am

Thanks!    And yes that is an OJ, I ended up changing over to an ACME 1459.. the OJ was one we had layin around and it was a 17, it was only letting me turn 4300 rpm so I went with the acme, which increased performance throughout the range..

I see, that would do it. If you ever have issues with the roost, try one in 13x14.

-------------

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: Bearfoot
Date Posted: March-19-2017 at 3:13am
I know this is an old post , any more information on this make and model?

Date Posted: March-19-2017 at 1:47pm
I have a 1985 if I can figure out how to post pictures I would. Any info much appreciated.

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: March-19-2017 at 4:33pm
Dont try to post photos from phone or tablet, you have to have your photos loaded on a computer.

To post photos, in the reply box below, click on the arrow that is pointing to the NE, that opens another reply box. At the top of that is an icon of a tree with an up arrow. Click on that. It will let you browse for a photo on your computer. Select the photo and then follow instructions. There are a couple more steps. Repeat as needed as you can only do one at a time. Post away, would like to see you pics.

-------------

Posted By: ceriousgreen
Date Posted: June-15-2017 at 2:07pm
This 79 barefoot supreme is alive and well on Greenwood Lake in NJ...albeit with a new, far less knowledgeable owner (me).

Do you have any specific questions? Also please post those pics!

Posted By: Timr71
Date Posted: June-15-2017 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

I would hardly compare a Supreme to a Yugo. In its time, it was a pretty good boat. It certainly wasn't a low price point or disposable boat.
[snip]
You may also have a bit more trouble finding answers to questions on Supremes. The company changed hands two or three times since the early 80s. They still build Supremes, but the company today has practically no relationship to the company of the 80s, other than its name.
BKH

And the fact that all Supreme boat sale revenue rolls up to their parent company...that happens to be Correct Craft since 2015 (when CC acquired a majority stake in both Supreme and Centurion.)

BTW, cool looking boat. Should be a great one when you get it sorted. (hmm...shoulda looked at the dates more closely, and/or read the whole thread before replying.)

Still, good looking old boat. I love those, regardless of brand. Like others have stated, it reminds me up my lake days as a kid in the late 70s/early 80s.

Date Posted: July-12-2017 at 4:50pm
Pm me you're number and I'll send you some pics can't upload them

Date Posted: July-15-2017 at 6:50pm
Jeez, 7 year old thread comes back to life! The interesting thing is that this thread makes a slightly more sense in a Correct Craft forum now then it did 7 years ago. Anyhow, let me know if you have any questions. Myself or it's new owner can certainly help!    I'll see if I can get that photobucket account fixed to restore the photos.

Print Page | Close Window