Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12272
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 11:03pm

Topic: 1969 Barracuda project
Posted By: Roachie
Subject: 1969 Barracuda project
Date Posted: October-28-2008 at 7:57pm
OK, I've spent the last several months lurking the archives here for info on where to start restoring my 1969 Barracuda. My Dad has owned the boat since about 1990, and it's been in his garage since '02. Based on my Dad's description of his last trip out, I'm pretty sure the 318 needs a complete rebuild. Based on what I've read here, I've resigned myself to the fact the stringers need replacing (a job I would not attempt without the information available here, and only here). Those two jobs are my goals for this winter. I'm leaving the cosmetics for next year.

In praparing to dig in to this mess I've read every thread I could find on the stringer job. I know I have to support the underside of the hull (off the trailer) and pull the engine, but I have two questions:

1) I've found several threads on jacks/supports/braces for replacing stringers, most discuss three points of support stern port, stern starboard, and front keel. However, all pics I've found have four supports with two at the front. Which way is best?

2) Where's the best point to attach the hoist to lift out the 318?

Thanks to all of you for you're knowledge. I can't wait for my Dad to hear that unmistakable sound.

Joe Roach

-------------
"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Replies:
Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: October-28-2008 at 8:22pm
Welcome! The Barracuda is a great boat and well worth the effort. I'm just finishing my floor after much procrastinating. I am not a carpenter, but the job was very doable. All you got to have is time and patience, and occational support from fellow members on CCF.

The engine should have lifting rings. I used a board bolted to 2 trees and a come along. Other members can guide you on the support for the hull. I did everything but the main stringers, so I didn't have to do that.

-------------

Posted By: critter
Date Posted: October-28-2008 at 11:07pm
Welcome Joe,
I have just replaced the Primary and Secondary stingers in my 66 Barracuda. I left my hull on the trailer, made sure that the Stingers were level (started level, should end level) and braced all 4 corners. I then removed the 2 Secondary stringers and installed the new wood. I then removed a single Primary stinger at a time and replaced. This made me feel better about the hull remaining stiff while I worked inside the hull. It probably took longer as I had to grind away the old glass and clean the boat with each stringer replacement.

I am now getting ready to install the new longitudal stringers. Lots more to do.

As for the motor, that 318 is heavy. Lots of cast parts. I manufactured lift rings that I attached to the front of one head and the rear of the other. Then used a chain and my motor hoist to remove. Had to remove a wheel and lower the axle to the ground to get the motor over the side without having to remove the oil pan. Made it with 1/2 inch to spare.

Good luck with your 69 and keep us posted.
I will put this topic on my watch list as I would like to follow closely.....

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: October-29-2008 at 10:57am
Joe,
How about some pictures?

The 60's hulls were quite thick and I really don't feel you need to worry very much about hull distortion. On the trailer is fine or the 3 point method. In later years, the hulls got thinner and relied more and more on the stringer system/foam to maintain the hulls shape. Doing one stringer at a time is really a good method. Besides keeping the basic shape, it also gives you excellent reference points for checking locations and dimensions.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: October-29-2008 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Joe,
How about some pictures?

The 60's hulls were quite thick and I really don't feel you need to worry very much about hull distortion. On the trailer is fine or the 3 point method. In later years, the hulls got thinner and relied more and more on the stringer system/foam to maintain the hulls shape. Doing one stringer at a time is really a good method. Besides keeping the basic shape, it also gives you excellent reference points for checking locations and dimensions.

I agree with Pete 100%. When I replaced one small stringer in my '90, the hull would oilcan a bit if you stepped on it. That was not the case at all with my Tique- that little hull is solid.

-------------

Date Posted: October-29-2008 at 3:09pm
Thanks for the inputs. Photos to come tonight.

-------------

Date Posted: October-30-2008 at 1:38am
Here are some pics of my '69 Barracuda. I took it off the trailer this evening. I figure that sould make it easier getting the engine out. I'm not really sure what's original and what's not. I'm pretty sure the original color was not brown, but some type of green. The thin brown paint on the hull chips easily which I don't think would happen with a gel coat. The base boards in the interior were painted brown, but had some green on the underside of the fabric. I know the starboard exhaust manifold is not original; my Dad replaced it in the mid '90s.

Before...

Does anyone know what colors the '69 was originally available in? That may get my wife a little more interested.

Already started the fun stuff...

-------------

Date Posted: October-30-2008 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Roachie Roachie wrote:

Does anyone know what colors the '69 was originally available in? That may get my wife a little more interested.

If you haven't already, spend some time looking through the 68 brochure in the ref. section. We don't have the 69 but I don't think the colors changed or were added onto until 70. This will give you a idea of what the interior is supposed to look like. Then you can go to the diaries and look at the 69 Cuda's. You should be able to spot the originals over the non. Interior colors didn't necessarily match the hull colors. I've seen some rear "off" combinations like your brown with a blue hull. I really don't think CC had a staff of interior designers back then. It was more like Billy Bob grabbing a roll of vinyl they had on hand!! Get your wife going on looking at the pictures. She'll do a much better job and hopefully enjoy getting involved. If you find a picture you (and your wife) like, post it and we'll be able to tell your if it is original or has been done originally.

A hard item to find will be the flooring used. It is actually commercial grade vinyl wall covering. Lots of it is available on line but I've never been able to get close to a match by looking at the on line samples. Go into a wall paper shop with a sample and see what they say.

When you get to the upholstery, you will not be able to do the fake heat stamped pleating/paneling done originally on the seat backs and bottoms. Have the upholsterer stitch it in by stiching the vinyl skin to a 1/4" sheet of foam backing. He'll know how to do it.

Now the fun work starts - foam and stringer work!!! BTW, I'm one for not refoaming under the floor.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-30-2008 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Roachie Roachie wrote:

I'm pretty sure the original color was not brown, but some type of green. The thin brown paint on the hull chips easily which I don't think would happen with a gel coat.

Youre probably right- paint will peel off and gel wont. Is there green gel underneath the brown? If I were you, Id be stripping off the paint to see what kind of condition its in.

-------------

Date Posted: November-01-2008 at 10:26pm
Pulled the engine and about 4 garbage bags of wet foam today. I started looking for douglas fir for the stringers, but nobody in the Montgomery area carries it. That's just one more reason I hate Alabama and can't wait to move.

Is there an alternative to douglas fir to use when replacing stringers?

As for the foam/no foam decision... Does the foam have any floor support, acoustic, or vibration mitigation qualities to it?

-------------

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: November-01-2008 at 10:35pm
[QUOTE=Roachie]

As for the foam/no foam decision... Does the foam have any floor support, acoustic, or vibration mitigation qualities to it?

Be prepared for about 4 different answers!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: The Lake
Date Posted: November-02-2008 at 3:28am
Welcome to the site; good to see the little guy getting his hands on this project. Thanks for the pictures, we are all boat voyeurs.

Chuck

-------------
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=775&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970 - 69 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: November-02-2008 at 9:22am
Joe,
On your question on foam or no foam - No on a 60's hull.

Keep looking for the Doug fir.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: November-03-2008 at 3:16am
Looks like a great project! I agree with TRBenji- see what the original gel looks like, cant beat a Green Machine!

-------------

Posted By: korey
Date Posted: November-03-2008 at 8:00pm
Good looking 'cuda! I brought a '70 'cuda back from the dead this summer, and am loving every second of it. keep those photos coming!

-------------
Korey Morris

1970 CC Barracuda Project
1993 Sport Nautique

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: November-04-2008 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I agree with TRBenj...Can't beat a Green Machine!

Tim's last green machine. (no joke, it really is)

That bit of humor aside, looks like a great project...good luck with it.

I too like the father son aspect of it. Always enjoy it when I have the engine cover up and my son walks by and starts asking questions. How many kids know anything about internal combustion engines any more. Certainly can't point out the basic stuff on new car engines.

-------------

Date Posted: November-04-2008 at 7:51pm
That Freeport may not have been my favorite boat, Larry- but I really did like the color! Id love to have a Mustang in the same combo.

-------------

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: November-05-2008 at 1:04am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

... but I really did like the color! Id love to have a Mustang in the same combo.

Agreed.

-------------

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: November-05-2008 at 11:02am
There have been a few dedicated threads on foam plus a good discussion somewhere in the pumpkin patch.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: November-10-2008 at 12:50am
This is all new to me. I tore the engine down this week to see what I'm up against. Looks like #3 is bad. I'm working to get this to the point I can get it in to the machine shop this week. I hope they can help.

-------------

Posted By: WakeSlayer
Date Posted: November-10-2008 at 9:03pm
Joe,

Meant to give you props for the visual on your motor cart. I needed to slap on together late last week real quick and used yours as a guideline

thanks!
Mike

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: November-10-2008 at 11:14pm
Sounds like things are moving right along.
When you take the block and heads to the machine shop, make sure that you tell them that it is a marine reverse rotation engine.

Also may want to tell them about http://www.egge.com/ - EGGE as they will have the intake and exhaust valves you will need. They will also have pistons if needed. My machine shop said they looked for 2 weeks when I called for a status update. Gave them Egge's 1-800 number and they called me back in 10 mins to say the parts were on the way... Thanks to Reid for this site.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 10:13am
by the look of the engine cradle, we may have another OCD' er,
my vote, no foam
nice job your doing

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 10:29am
No OCD here. Just too cheap to buy a proper engine stand. I think I'll need one though when it comes time to pick the engine up and reassemble it.

-------------

Posted By: sanity
Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 1:51pm
I am still battling with the foam/no foam issue myself. I say no foam and JB says foam. I think he's more worried about my safety and the effect it would have on me if God forbid anything should happen to the mustang when it's completed. Have time to toss this around so I will keep watching this thread.

BTW, the boat that the excavator is picking up...looks like something I would bring home.

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

BTW, the boat that the excavator is picking up...looks like something I would bring home.

Hmmm... it looks like something I did bring home.

If the only issue regarding the foam vs. no foam decision is floatation/safety, consider packing the cavities between the hull and floor with pool noodles. I think I will be going this route on my next restore.

-------------

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 2:17pm
I saw that in one of your other postings and suggested that to him. He thought I was teasing.

That should take care of "both" of our issues regarding the foam. Solved!

Posted By: WakeSlayer
Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 2:25pm
I really like the noodle idea too. Sounds silly, but I like it.
Cheap, easy, floats, and doesn't absorb.
I need to find some blue ones for the Mustang.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 2:35pm
It could easily be my memory, but maybe some have changed their opinion on foam? Maybe some of the older threads on this are worth a re-read?

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

It could easily be my memory, but maybe some have changed their opinion on foam? Maybe some of the older threads on this are worth a re-read?

LOL...if that is in reference to me - heck, I've already gone from painting the boat to keeping it original. :)

For a first boat project... I'm not doing so bad. and I'll keep everyone in suspense.

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 2:55pm
Hey, any chick holding her own with this crowd!   LOL

And that was not directed to you...it was a feeble attempt at chain yanking.

-------------

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 3:00pm

LOL...if that is in reference to me - heck, I've already gone from painting the boat to keeping it original. :)

For a first boat project... I'm not doing so bad. and I'll keep everyone in suspense.

Actually, Im guessing that Greg's referring to me!

Greg, Im not sure I would say that Ive had a change of heart- but depending on the age of the comments, I may have had important first hand experience since that time. I now realize that there is a very big difference in the role of the foam between a newer boat (like my '90) and an older/smaller one (like my Tique). While it didnt take much to oilcan the hull while some of the foam was out of my Nautique, the Tique exhibited no such tendencies. Clearly the supports are closer togther on the smaller hull, and I bet Pete is right about the thickness of the glass. That little boat was SOLID.

I think both approaches are perfectly acceptable, and I chose to refoam the Tique. The Skier Im doing next will be a runner though (its no looker!), and we hope to ski it hard and often. With no platform, Im betting that the boat will spend a good amount of its time soaked to the bone- so Im thinking that the best approach would be to give the water a chance to escape. Im afraid there will be ample opportunity for it to get in!

-------------

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 3:00pm
[QUOTE=BuffaloBFN] Hey, any chick holding her own with this crowd!   LOL

I miss all the inside jabs.

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 3:25pm

It could easily be my memory, but maybe some have changed their opinion on foam?

I haven't changed my opinion on not foaming the pre 80's hulls!! It's one of the very few things I will bend my "keep it original" ideals!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 3:29pm
Well said Tim. With a shorter and narrower boat, that makes good sense...older may also be a factor in construction. My BFN is the only boat I ever cut into...I learned to ski behind something like the last craigslist you posted.

I also noticed some hull flex when I first started on mine; you may remember me being concerned about that. I'm super happy I put foam back in mine, but the application seems to be different.

So I'm the guy who is talking about a newer boat than this thread is about?!!?   LOL

-------------

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Actually, Im guessing that Greg's referring to me!

I could admit to that...but I'd have to include others!   

-------------

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 3:41pm
Gentlemen,

Tell me one thing you've changed your mind on or "flexed" a bit since you did your first project.

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 3:45pm
I'd like to see some actual testing of noodles in the hull. They have to trap some water and they definately cut down on air circulation, but does anyone really know how many noddles it takes to float a boat?

I am not using flotation in my Mustang and the Classic never has had any.

-------------

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I'd like to see some actual testing of noodles in the hull. They have to trap some water and they definately cut down on air circulation, but does anyone really know how many noddles it takes to float a boat?

I am not using flotation in my Mustang and the Classic never has had any.

Bruce, I *think* somebody did a calculation on here at some point. I dont think it would take much to make the hull buoyant. I doubt the noodles themselves would trap any water since theyre closed cell foam- they wouldnt make for very good pool noodles if they did. If theyre strategically placed and there are adequate drains in the stringers, I bet they wouldnt trap any water at all. Cheap insurance to keep the boat at the surface if it fills up with water!

Michelle, one thing I would have done differently was on the bulkhead and air inlet hoses on my '90... I beefed them up quite a bit the second time around on my Tique.

I doubt I will do another partial stringer restore either. Im confident in the end result, but looking back at it now, removing the engine and starting from scratch probably would have been easier. Fiberglass work is miserable enough as it is- not having a place to stand sucks!

-------------

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

does anyone really know how many noddles it takes to float a boat?

Someone needs to get the weight and the volume of the basic noodle. The weight per cu.ft. is then subtracted from the weight of water (62lbs per cu. ft.) and you will have the buoyancy. Now the tough part - the buoyancy of the fiberglass hull, engine (negative) and things like the seat cushions??? Whos got a noodle??

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 4:14pm
Maybe Boat Dr could take the hull of that blue Mustang he picked up and do an actual test for us.

Tim, a flooded boat is a concern at Lake George. Remember that cabin cruiser wake I went through in your boat? That could have sunk a Mustang pretty easily and maybe even your 1990.

-------------

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 4:25pm
Something floats because it actually displaces more water weight than it actually weighs. This is why a heavy metal ship floats.

I'm going to use the metric system since the weight of water per volume is easy: 1 Liter or 1000cc (or ml) equals 1 kg or about 2.2 lbs. We're going to use 1 foot of showtime's 3.5" diameter noodle. Converting this to metric we use 1"=2.54cm. So, the noodle is 30.48cm long by 8.89cm in diameter.

Here goes: volume of a cylinder=pi(r)(r)(length)or 22/7 X 4.445cm X 4.445cm X 30.48cm = 1892.7cc or 1.89L

Converting the weight of 1.89L of water back to pounds is 1.89kg X 2.2=4.16 lbs. This does not take into account the hole going down the length of the noodle if you did not purchase a solid one. In other words, the noodle will actually support a little less than 4.16 lbs!

1 foot of 3.5" diameter pool noodle should float about a 4lb piece of metal on top of the noodle.

Remember, if your boat is "sunk" it is displacing water so the pool noodles don't really have to support the entire weight of your boat. In other words, if your boat weighs 15 lbs, you don't really need 15 lbs of buoyancy although it certainly won't hurt if you can fit it all .

Yeah.... I figured this all out

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 7:27pm

Remember, if your boat is "sunk" it is displacing water so the pool noodles don't really have to support the entire weight of your boat.

Not with a hole in the bottom of the boat!!!! We are talking about flotation for a catastrophic event.

Michelle,
Something doesn't sound correct with the 1' pool noodle. It should displace more than 4lbs. Do the calculations over in English!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 7:46pm
Notice the eye winkie... I didn't figure out the calculations.... Pete, wouldn't "sunk" be catastrophic? I think I'm missing something in the conversation.

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 10:22pm
Michelle,
The mix up here is your statement: "Remember, if your boat is "sunk" it is displacing water so the pool noodles don't really have to support the entire weight of your boat." A sunk boat (hull) doesn't have any displacement because there isn't any air in it. The only displacement would come from materials lighter than water.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-18-2008 at 11:00am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Michelle,
Something doesn't sound correct with the 1' pool noodle. It should displace more than 4lbs. Do the calculations over in English!!

Michelle,
You're (or whoever did the calculating!!) correct on the 4lb estimate!!!

Here it is in English:
The noodle 3.5" dia. X 12" long is 115.45 cu. in.
If 1 cu. ft. of water weighs 60lbs. then 1 cu. in. of water weights .03472lbs.
So, 115.45 cu.in. of noodle (X the 115.45) will displace 4.008lbs. of water less the weight of the foam (12" of noodle weight) and less the volume of the hole in the middle.

Now, polyester has a S.G. of 1.25, glass is 2.58 and cast iron is 7.21 so the hull is negative buoyancy. With no foam in a boat, make sure you go down with a close to empty gas tank!!!

I'm still for no foam in the bilge but for adding more under the decks and gunnels.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-18-2008 at 11:58am
I suppose the side panels could be stuffed with them, but you'd have to secure them pretty well so the noodles wouldn't bust out of them.

What about some sort of divers lifting with a large co2 cartrige that could be activated by a pull cord or some sort of sensor?

Pete, I could drill a small hole in the dash and have the cord coming out with a small wood knob on it.

-------------

Posted By: 65 'cuda
Date Posted: November-18-2008 at 2:51pm
When I was considering foam or not in my barracuda: Here were my thoughts:

The hull itself: , sink like a stone.
The stringer system, maybe neutral maybe not, there is a lot of fiberglass and resin wrapping those stringers.
The floor, slightly buoyant, again fiberglass and resin.
The carpet, interior, cushions etc. buoyant, but unfortunately probably all the removable cushions would float out of the boat providing no buoyancy.
the windshield, hardware, stereo, battery, sink like a stone.
The gas tank, depending how empty it was would provide buoyancy until it slowly filled with water through the vent.
Then we get to that large chunk of chrysler marine engineering in the middle of the boat. the polyhead 318, all the power of a small block with the weight of a big block.

In my boat the floor of the boat is below the waterline, so assuming that I could fill the entire volume under the floor with air, which would be impossible due to the motor, tranny and other essentials being in the way, the boat would still not float if completely swamped, so additional flotation would have to be added under the gunnels in the bow, around the gas tank etc.

long story short, I'm not sure pools noodles would provide enough floatation, even with lots of them below the floor, you may still need them above the floor. they may buy time or save a partially swamped boat.

-------------
Gary

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=941" rel="nofollow - 1965 Barracuda SS

Date Posted: November-18-2008 at 11:54pm
Wow! That sure is a ton of discussion on pool noodles. Better keep the drain plug in.

I haven't heard back from the machine shop on the engine yet. I should hear something this week. Meanwhile, my son has managed to dig out most of the old foam. I've searched most of southern Alabama for douglas fir with no luck. I'm sure I'll find it soon, I'll just have to start looking north.

Gary, nice 'cuda. Is that the original color?

-------------

Date Posted: November-19-2008 at 8:44am
http://www.sweetwaterlumber.com/default.htm - Sweetwater land and lumber has D Fir. They are west of Atl.

-------------

Date Posted: November-22-2008 at 3:18pm
Thanks! I'll be headed there soon.

On a more somber note. The machine shop estimate came back at $3300. That's basically a complete re-build ready to drop in. That said, his long block estimate is over $2500. I've found several 318 long blocks on-line for around $1200-$1500.

-------------

Date Posted: November-23-2008 at 1:57am
Got my 318 Block and Poly Heads back from the machine shop just last week. $1600 for a single sleve and honing the other seven cylinders and new valves and springs for the Heads. I still have to put it all back together. $3300 is not really that bad.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: May-21-2009 at 10:12pm
Wow! It's been a while and progress is slow. I hurt my back in Nov and am just getting to the point I can bend over to work on the stringers relatively pain free.

I finished removing all the foam, which was more saturated than I thought, and the primary stringer, which was in advanced stages of rot. I was able to get it out in one piece so I can use it as a template. Now to get over to GA and pick up some douglas fir.

-------------

Date Posted: August-18-2009 at 3:14pm
I'm about to order US Composites's 635 thin epoxy system with medium hardener. I'm also planning on ordering their 7 1/2 oz E Glass cloth and the Arosil-Cabosil filler to complete the stringer job.

Am I on the right track here? I've never worked with this stuff, so it should be interesting.

-------------

Date Posted: August-18-2009 at 3:57pm
Glad to see this thread come back up!

I used the medium cure epoxy and it was spring here(60's to low 80's). Read through the details on the USComposites site. I also got mil fiber, phenolic microballons, talc, and a variety of cloth types and weights. Did you read through the 'patch'? I was asking all the questions you are back then!

The cabosil is a great filler and the lightest weight I think. It's also a cat-and-dog thing to sand! For fairing or leveling the microballons are the way to go. Mil fiber will increase strength and talc is a good, cheap filler. Talc is also helpful with shaping where the others aren't so much(fillets).

For reference, I used mat, cloth, cloth tape, and biaxial.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window