Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11903
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 12:49am

Topic: 63 Debonaire
Posted By: 69barri
Subject: 63 Debonaire
Date Posted: September-09-2008 at 9:04pm
I am currently looking at a 1963 Debonaire. From what I understand these are very rare boats. This boat originally had the 250 hp Rolls Royce engine and belonged to an actress in Conneticut. I would appreciate any information anyone has on this boat and if there are any resources for parts out there.

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: September-09-2008 at 10:25pm
Does it still have the Rolls in it and who was the actress? If you run out of options you can drop it here. We will 'dispose of properly'?!!?   

Pics?

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: September-09-2008 at 11:10pm
The rolls engine is no longer in it. As far as the actress is concerned, I do not know her name, all i know is that she had a devout affection for the color pink, pink Aston Martins, pink dogs, and a pink Debonaire. As far as "disposing" of the boat. I hope to fully restore the boat myself to her original glory, that is why i was asking for more information. Anyone have and good ideas for engine options? I was thinking either a Mercury Racing 525EFI or a Banks 6.6 Duramax

Posted By: The Dude
Date Posted: September-09-2008 at 11:27pm
Pink Debonaire? I think there is a "pink nautique" picture on this site somewhere!
You're at the right place Michael. There will soon be more suggestions for an engine than you can imagine. Welcome and post some pictures of that boat!

-------------
Mullet Free since 93
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=717&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995 - 95 Sport

Posted By: The Godfather
Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 12:54am
Welcome 69barri, I will get with Mr.Ralph tomorrow to see if he know's anything about this pink boat..

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 12:57am
Thread jack...sorry..

Dave: I wanna touch base with you tomorrow..cell phone or office?

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 1:00am
Sorry, for the people that don't know the name Mr.Ralph. I am speaking about the one and only Mr. Ralph Meloon.    69Barri, I'm the one would you e-mailed earler today!!

Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 1:05am
Big Bear call me on the cell around 11:00am or later in the day. Or call me now..

Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 1:06am
Is the cell the 956 number?

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 1:07am
407 766-7535

Posted By: bobzilla
Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 1:44am
Sounds like a cool old boat, please post some pics

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 7:32am
Originally posted by 69barri 69barri wrote:

I hope to fully restore the boat myself to her original glory, that is why i was asking for more information. Anyone have and good ideas for engine options? I was thinking either a Mercury Racing 525EFI or a Banks 6.6 Duramax

Michael, I'm confused!! You what to restore the boat and these are your ideas for a engine? Certainly not a restoration!! You must be into off shore fishing boats where the norm is to repower with modern engines.

The Debonaire is a 20' so you do have quite a choice as far as what would have come out of the factory. In 63, the most common would have been the Chryslers and Interceptors but Gray and even Crusaders too. Small blocks and big blocks. HP's from 210 to 400! The 400 is the Interceptor 427 (the standard 427 was 330 HP)The Rolls is listed as a 250 HP.

I urge you to do a true restoration on this rare boat or find someone that will do it- don't screw it up. There are 0 listings between 61 and 65 for this glass hull in the ACBS directory or in our diaries here!!!

How about some pictures?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 1:56pm
atleast use a factory correct block, now whether or no the the internals are all stock that's a different story, nice big block 427 gives you some options on exhaust and power to boot so please heed Pete's suggestion and you mite be surprized what the orginal builders can do for you too, sure they wouldn't mind the PR opportunity's this could bring from this vinteage boat in a restored state.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 2:30pm
Michael,
I too would try and stay with an original optioned engine for a boat like this!

Got any pics you can post? Would LOVE to see it!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 3:55pm
427 blue? plenty of those around if you go to the Chrissy Craft sites
or 427 orange Pete?

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: RainDog
Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 5:17pm
I'm sure many of us are very interested in learning more about your find. Please keep us updated with what you learn. In return, we'd sure do everything we could to help you out.

And if you pass on the deal, please, please let us know. Many folks here will see to it that she'd would be returned to her original glory.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1868&sort=&pagenum=1 - 62 Classic

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5242&sort=&pagenum=1 - 2002 Super Air

Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 5:26pm
I appreciate the input on the engine choice, and personally have no problem putting in a nice 427. The boat is without an engine now so I would be starting from scratch. Anyone know the type of transmission for this boat? Prop size? etc... I will not pass up on this deal, I love Correct Craft boats and will be sure to do a thorough and immaculate job restoring this boat to her former glory.

Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 5:36pm
Sounds good. Would love to watch the progress.

Hard top or open?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1868&sort=&pagenum=1 - 62 Classic

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5242&sort=&pagenum=1 - 2002 Super Air

Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 5:41pm
As far as I know it is open, I have actually never seen the boat and am going off solely what the owner has told me. He said that the boat is mostly complete with the original hardware, a huge plus, and is in restorable condition. I have been trying earnestly for the past couples days to convince the owner to sell it but he has to "sleep on it" the boat was for sale previously, so i have high hopes that it will be again, and i can take the long, but worthwhile drive to CT to go and get it.

Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 5:44pm
Michael, I'd look for a complete engine and trans (1960's) take out from a repower. Most likely it will have a B/W velvet drive trans on it. Rebuild it and drop it in. A good place to look is in the classifieds on marineengine.com

Is the strut still on the boat? Prop shaft? It will give you a idea on the correct diameter prop they equipped it with from the factory. Clearance to the hull from the OD of the prop is supposed to be 10% of the props dia. The pitch will be determined by the HP you find. I have a feeling you have got lots of work to do before you get to that point!!

Eric, The Interceptor 427 would be that light blue - green. The same that Reid used on his 390. If Michael finds a 427 Gray, then it would be red!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: reidp
Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 7:59pm
I've got a complete 413 Chrysler 280 HP Rev Rot which was one of the engines on that list of options. It has a BW 72-C trans on it as well. Not that it makes any difference, but if it's a 63, then I don't believe the 427, blue, red, orange or green, would have been available yet. The 400 I saw in a brochure was a '65 I believe. And Pete, I think Eric was just questioning the Ford or Chevy thing with his color question.       

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 8:06pm
Pretty rare boats. Wonder what ever happened to this one?

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5269&KW=debonaire - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5269&KW=debonaire

-------------

Date Posted: September-10-2008 at 8:33pm
Reid, You are correct that I did get the brochure I posted from the 65 ref. section. Give or take a couple of years for the engine won't make a difference since he doesn't have the original so his choices are many!! Too bad the Rolls isn't around!! I've never seen one, have you??

I do know that Eric was referring to the GM - Ford colors - I was just trying to confuse him by adding in another color engine!

The 413 would be nice. Did you find it in the list of options in the 1965 too?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 12:29am
Hey reid do you have any interest in selling that motor trans combination?? I am located in Orlando so maybe we could arrange a meeting halfway or something. Are parts readily accessible for that engine?

Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 1:35am
69barri, did you get my e-mail from Mr. Ralph..

Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 1:59am
no i did not, did you send it to mikesemail678@yahoo.com ??

Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 2:23am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Reid, You are correct that I did get the brochure I posted from the 65 ref. section. Give or take a couple of years for the engine won't make a difference since he doesn't have the original so his choices are many!! Too bad the Rolls isn't around!! I've never seen one, have you??

I do know that Eric was referring to the GM - Ford colors - I was just trying to confuse him by adding in another color engine!

The 413 would be nice. Did you find it in the list of options in the 1965 too?

Pete, my backwoods butt has never seen a Rolls in person either. I'd like to. About those colors, Eric is always trying to stir the manufacturer's pot, isn't he. The 413 was available for purchase as shown in the '65 brochure, and was sold by Chrysler for several years after that.

Hey reid do you have any interest in selling that motor trans combination?? I am located in Orlando so maybe we could arrange a meeting halfway or something. Are parts readily accessible for that engine?

Michael, I am willing to cut loose this 413, and I'm not sure you'll have a big problem with parts. However, they'll be harder to come by and more expensive than those parts for a modern engine naturally. Furthermore, I would only suggest this engine for originality's sake. Scroll thru this Chrysler thread and you'll find a pict of where I tried unsuccessfully to install the engine in a '68 Nautique (bottom pict of 4), and you'll find discussion of it also, I believe.     http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9505&KW=413 - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9505&KW=413
You'd have plenty of room in your boat I believe. As noted in the thread, I feel the engine needs a rebuild to be a confident option. If you have an interest, I will be in Orlando in the coming weeks to pick up a boat from SECC and could drop it off. I'm headed to Lake George in the AM so may not pick up questions here for a few days. Don't hesitate to call. 704-451-5080.

-------------
ReidP

Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 2:45am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

If you have an interest, I will be in Orlando in the coming weeks to pick up a boat from SECC and could drop it off.

If this is the case..when can we expect to see you? Wanna stay here?

Have a great time at LG.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 8:11am
Have any of our members from the other sde of the pond seen a Rolls Marine??

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 10:18am
Ha

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: OM45GE
Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5269&KW=debonaire - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5269&KW=debonaire

I wonder if it's the SAME boat!?!? You could call that color pink based on the photos. That and having a RR engine makes me wonder.

I knew a fellow in our hometown years ago that had a wooden unlimited hydroplane that had a Rolls Royce aircraft V12 in it. Obviously not the same motor that would have been in this boat. He died in a plane crash years ago and I never saw the boat or his collection of vintage cars and motorcycles again.

-------------
1989 SN 2001

Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by The Godfather The Godfather wrote:

69barri, did you get my e-mail from Mr. Ralph..

I understand that this hull was the only one that CC made with the Rolls engine!!! It sure would be nice to put one back in! When you talk to the seller, see if he knows where the Rolls went. I'll bet a restorer of something grabbed it!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 4:11pm
As far as I know the motor for the boat was lost a long time ago, long before the seller actually got it. From what he knows he is the second owner of the boat. He also said that these Rolls Royce engines were not known for their reliability or ease to work on. Apparently they made better anchors than engines. If someone knew where to get an engine along with a good supply of boats and a working knowledge to put it all together, I wouldn't be against putting it in the boat.

Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 5:17pm
Michael, Ive never heard of a unreliable Rolls!! Don't get your hopes up on finding one of the Rolls engine. There is only one listed in the ACBS directory. The engine is in a 1930 Plyms 26' sedan. Owned by a Bjorn Melander in Sweden!!!

You could email him and ask about the engine he has. It may be interesting. He's at: bjorn.melander@telia.com

Reid's deal sounds pretty good.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 5:28pm
Pete, I thought Rolls were nortoriously unreliable. I read a story about a New Yorker that had one that was always breaking down. He said when you break down in a Rolls, not only people don't stop to help you, they honk and give you the finger when the ride by.

-------------

Posted By: uk1979
Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 7:35pm
Hi Guys
Well it took a bit of finding but I think this is the Rolls engine, I have read its the silver cloud car engine from 59 to around 65 6.23 L then stroked up to 6.7L and used in the cars up 1990, they say its design is from a 1949 caddy engine,( you guys will know ) if so its a US engine to being with the bore size converts back to 4.00.
When the world needs a V8 we go to the US as its usually been done already.

Picture of the boat engine was 240 hp and a early car engine just not sure if the engines ran RR for boats!

Hope this helps, sorry took so long but working 24/7 on stores opening for Christmas should slow down by Nov.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 7:47pm
Rodger,
Thanks for finding the picture! I googled the Rolls and went through 8 pages and found nothing!

Bruce,
You could be correct about the reliability. I just thought that it being a Rolls it would be the finest engine built. Of coarse I've only be in one of the cars once in my life and also haven't seen any reports on them in Consumer Reports lately!!

What would the two fittings on the tail end of the starter be for?? Fancy waterproof electrical terminals?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 8:15pm
It's definately an exotic looking engine. I wonder if any are still in existance?

I think there's an old Correct Craft in the diaries with a Packard engine.

-------------

Posted By: adamt
Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 8:38pm

-------------
-Adam

1973 Skier

Posted By: Luchog
Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 9:01pm
packard equals rolls engine??? if so there's old wood boat here in sale with a Packard inline 6.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2095" rel="nofollow - 1980 Ski Nautique

Commander 351W

Posted By: MarineTech
Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

Adam,
It appears to be a water filter assy. It looks just like the ones on my V8 cummings diesels in my big pacemaker.
They're used to filter out impurities in the closed cooling system, could be the same on this one.
Ken

-------------
http://www.krwdirect.com/second/index.html - Projects

Luchog wrote:   "Anyway, you're full of s79t"

Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by MarineTech MarineTech wrote:

Adam,
It appears to be a water filter assy.
Ken

Ken, Notice there's another one on the other side. I've got a feeling that they are the closed cooling heat exchangers. We can't see it in the picture but I'll say there are a couple more hose fittings on the other side of each. Two to the block and another two the the RWP - sitting between the HX's.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-11-2008 at 10:35pm
This is on Ebay now for a few $

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/1963-AD-GRAY-MARINE-ROLLS-ROYCE-V8-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ110265673784QQihZ001QQcategoryZ423QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem - http://cgi.ebay.com/1963-AD-GRAY-MARINE-ROLLS-ROYCE-V8-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ110265673784QQihZ001QQcategoryZ423QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Posted By: MarineTech
Date Posted: September-12-2008 at 12:16am

Ken, Notice there's another one on the other side. I've got a feeling that they are the closed cooling heat exchangers.

Pete, after a closer look, you're probably right....I mistakenly noticed the rounded portion of the lower block going the length of the engine and thought THAT was a heat exchanger. In the later pic posted it's clearly part of the block, leaving not much choice but for the other two to be exchangers.
Ken

-------------
http://www.krwdirect.com/second/index.html - Projects

Luchog wrote:   "Anyway, you're full of s79t"

Date Posted: September-14-2008 at 8:55am
Some more shots of this engine, the ref is RR LM 841
They say its a good engine but has a problem with age, as the bores are sleeves with a rubber seal at the base, these brake down over years,which over heats the engine and can crack the block. The alloy block has a high silicon content which is not good for welding they say, maybe why the engine has gone.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: December-17-2008 at 2:36am
Well I am finally going up north to pick this boat up. I am leaving Orlando FL on the 27th to make the two day trip to CT and pick up the boat. Bit of a long haul, but worth it for what seems to be the only Debonnaire still in existence. The owner has told me that the boat still contains all of the original hardware including the windshield. The only thing missing, as I had mentioned before is the engine and transmission. The owner told me of two Palmer-Johnson engines that he has available, a possibility for the boat. I am thinking about maybe getting a drop in crate engine from PCM, perhaps the 409.... Pictures to follow in the next coming weeks.

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: December-17-2008 at 3:25am
Looking forward to seeing the pics. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: December-17-2008 at 3:39am

Well I am finally going up north to pick this boat up. I am leaving Orlando FL on the 27th to make the two day trip to CT and pick up the boat.

I'm a little confused, are you located in Orlando or Tampa? If you're in Orlando, I'd love to see the boat when you bring it home.

-------------
-Adam

1973 Skier

Date Posted: December-17-2008 at 4:08am
I go to school over in Tampa, but my parents live in Orlando so I will be home there for the holidays. I should have the boat back in Orlando around the 3rd or 4th, depending on how long the drive actually takes. I will be leaving the boat in Maitland, you are more than welcome to come by and see it then.

Date Posted: December-17-2008 at 4:29am

Sounds like a good plan, good luck with the trip Where do you go out with the Barricuda?

-------------
-Adam

1973 Skier

Date Posted: December-17-2008 at 6:13am
I have mainly taken the Barracuda out on my parents lake, Lake Seminary, but I have also taken it a few times up and down the St. Johns River with my Dad's 66 Wildcat. Over the summer our family took both boats to the Keys and went snorkeling and scuba diving off the reefs with them. Overall the Barracuda has treated me great for the year and a half I have owned it but it is in dire need of a restoration which I have just recently started.

Date Posted: December-17-2008 at 7:41am
Michael,
A 409? You're forgetting the first half of this thread!! Really, I feel as well as others, that you wouldn't be doing this classic any good by dropping in modern power. It sounds like you really don't what to restore this boat!! How are you planning to use the boat? Look into the Palmer. Although it's not listed as a option, it's certainly more appropriate.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: December-17-2008 at 11:24am
Michael, where in CT is the boat? I will be back there for xmas.

-------------

Date Posted: December-17-2008 at 2:31pm
Pete,
I understand your opposition to the modern engine swap for the Debonnaire. I am not against keeping it era-correct as long as pricing and reliability do not suffer. This website does not have any reference material on the 1963 Debonnaire, but the 1965 Brochure showed that the boat could come equipped with a 280 hp Chrysler. Now I doubt that this engine is a 318 so is it a 340 or a 360? 440 even? I would not mind putting one of these engines in the boat since both my Barracuda and my dad's wildcat have a 318 and they run strong and sound great. Are you opposed to an original engine with some performance modifications? Nothing too extreme, would just like to get more speed out of the Barracuda for footing, stuck around 32 right now with a 12 x 14 three blade prop.

Date Posted: December-17-2008 at 3:09pm
Michael,
My thoughts are simply getting something more appropriate for the boat. Certainly a engine offered from the factory would be the best! By the mid 60's all the V8's were reliable. Maybe someone like Reid will step in and fill in the blanks on the Chryslers in the 62 to 64 year range. I think it's too early for the 340,360,440. Maybe a 413 or 426?? I see in the 65 brochure they went up to a 400HP. That may be a high performance 426? The choices are many, even Interceptors. Lots of engines out there from repowers. Of course rebuilding would be needed but that may even be cheaper that a new engine!

Don't forget that Reid has offered you a 413 earlier in this thread.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: December-17-2008 at 3:25pm
I would like to see him put in that 409 just to piss off Pete.

-------------

Date Posted: December-17-2008 at 4:21pm
What do you suppose a brand new 409 goes for, $10k?

-------------

Date Posted: December-17-2008 at 5:04pm

Pete,
...would just like to get more speed out of the Barracuda for footing, stuck around 32 right now with a 12 x 14 three blade prop.

Whoa, kemosabie. Something is amiss. I can get 42 MPH GPS @ 4200 RPM on the Classic with a AMC 327 spinning a 4 blade 12x13 OJ. Not exactly a top end setup. I'd figure the 318 should put out equal if not more power than the 327, especially on the top end. I'd guess you should be able to do 40 MPH all day. I'd be looking for a problem.

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: December-17-2008 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Pete,
...would just like to get more speed out of the Barracuda for footing, stuck around 32 right now with a 12 x 14 three blade prop.

Whoa, kemosabie. Something is amiss. I can get 42 MPH GPS @ 4200 RPM on the Classic with a AMC 327 spinning a 4 blade 12x13 OJ. Not exactly a top end setup. I'd figure the 318 should put out equal if not more power than the 327, especially on the top end. I'd guess you should be able to do 40 MPH all day. I'd be looking for a problem.

Agreed. That boat doesnt need performance parts... it needs a tune up (at the minimum).

-------------

Posted By: 65 'cuda
Date Posted: December-17-2008 at 8:53pm
Something is amiss, my stock m318 (polyhead) in my '65 Barracuda will do 44 mph plus or minus a couple of tenths on the gps, its spinning a 12 x 14 OJ legend at 4100 plus rpm.

-------------
Gary

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=941" rel="nofollow - 1965 Barracuda SS

Date Posted: December-18-2008 at 1:09am

Indeed, and did I mention that the 413 "is" the 280 HP engine they were referring to. And I even think it's a '63 model engine. How much more original can you get? And while 280 HP isn't much for 413 cubes, if you're doing a rebuild, you can get to 320 or so HP for very minimal money and still not turn over 4400-4500 rpm.   

While I normally love to disagree with Pete just for fun, I'm with him on the 409, but HW's idea has merit as well. I did however, like that '63 Classic from the Orlando CC reunion with the GT40. Remember MaddMarx's picts?

-------------
ReidP

Date Posted: December-18-2008 at 10:52am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Indeed, and did I mention that the 413 "is" the 280 HP engine they were referring to. And I even think it's a '63 model engine. How much more original can you get? And while 280 HP isn't much for 413 cubes, if you're doing a rebuild, you can get to 320 or so HP for very minimal money and still not turn over 4400-4500 rpm.   

While I normally love to disagree with Pete just for fun, I'm with him on the 409, but HW's idea has merit as well. I did however, like that '63 Classic from the Orlando CC reunion with the GT40. Remember MaddMarx's picts?
I did however, like that '63 Classic from the Orlando CC reunion with the GT40. Remember MaddMarx's picts?

Never saw those pictures, but would like to. MaddMarx any chance of reposting them or a link?

-------------

Date Posted: December-18-2008 at 12:37pm
Bruce, here is the thread. Scroll down til you see it. Every time I look at that boat it looks better and better, esp from a Classic owner's perspective. Even with that new-fangled engine.    

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7681&PN=1&TPN=2 - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7681&PN=1&TPN=2

-------------
ReidP

Date Posted: December-18-2008 at 1:28pm
Thanks, Reid. That is a nice boat, even with all the mods, but I bet it doesn't sound nearly as good as yours.

-------------

Date Posted: December-18-2008 at 2:37pm
I do think that my Barracuda needs a serious tune-up, even though the engine does run smooth in the top end without any missing. I am not sure what RPM i am turning since I do not have a working tachometer. I plan to address these issues now that I am going through it, and have someone look at the transmission. Is Nautique's of Orlando as reputable for service? I am used to bringing my boat to Woody at Southeast, but we all know what happened there. A 426 would be an awesome motor for the Debonnaire, any ideas where to get a reverse rotation long block from?

Date Posted: December-18-2008 at 7:09pm

I'd stick with the old Southeast Correct Craft for now, just my uneducated opinion.

A quote from the Boat Dr. from another thread when the same question came up:

"Wake 2001, do you have to ask that question? Southeast has the track record for service and parts.
Only the name was changed, all else remains the same.My money is on Woody and his team to survive thru the downturn of recreation boating,hope the best for the new CC dealership. But it is gonna be tough to compete for the service in the Orlando market.
Appears bad timing to open a New Dealership of any type today, a good repeat customer base is not accumulated with only a lighted sign, a show room and an onknown service center...........Boat dr
"Talk is cheap, good service is not"

-------------
-Adam

1973 Skier

Date Posted: March-19-2009 at 10:35pm
Just picked up the boat in Conneticut, and posted it to the Diaries just now. enjoy

Posted By: bigmoparjeff
Date Posted: July-02-2012 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5269&KW=debonaire" rel="nofollow - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5269&KW=debonaire

Hi Everybody,

It's been a few years since he asked, but I have the answer to Riley's question: It's parked in my driveway.

The Debonnaire is still owned by Lisa, who had posted questions about it several years ago. Sadly, her husband has recently passed away at a young age and she is looking to part with the boat at this time. I've been a friend of the family since the mid-eighties and have been tasked with finding a new home for the boat. The hard part is comming up with a fair value for it, since it's so rare and there isn't much in previous sales to go by. I'm not looking to make a killing on it, but don't want to give it away either. From reading this thread, it certainly sounds like it is a boat the deserves to be restored. It does need a complete cosmetic restoration, along with mechanical work too. I got it running fine with a carburetor off of one of my cars, but was told that the engine is getting tired and is due for a rebuild.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should ask for the boat?

Thanks, Jeff

Posted By: nautique frk
Date Posted: July-02-2012 at 12:44am
Very Cool boat Jeff, post more photos, kind of a cross between a Marauder and a San Juan.

Date Posted: July-02-2012 at 9:34pm
That is a great looking Debonnaire! It is slightly different from mine though. My exhaust is much closer together and exits between the stringers rather than outside as it looks like on this boat. Maybe the rolls had the extra room originally? This one is in much better shape than mine was, I hope someone gives it a good home!

-------------
1963 Debonnaire Deluxe
1972 Separator Jet Boat

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: July-02-2012 at 10:21pm
are the hardtops on those removable?

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Date Posted: July-03-2012 at 2:06am
Jeff, the rudder looks bent and not correct can you post more photos ? what are you thinking on price ?

Date Posted: July-03-2012 at 2:50am
Hi Mike, The difference between the exhaust ports could be due to being different year boats, '63 vs '64, or more likely it could be as you say, a special feature of the RR equipped units. With so few around it's difficult to know what changes were made over the years. I checked out the diary on your boat. It looks like it was coming along very nicely. Is it all done now? It sounds like you had similar issues with the cracked gel coat that this boat has, which I guess is typical for any old fiberglass boat that has been out in the weather for 40+ years. The foors and stringers appear to be solid in this one though. You also have the hardtop roof, which reminds me of all the General Motors cars in the mid-sixties with roofs that were contoured to look like convertible tops.

The top is removeable. It clamps to the windshield header, and the rear has screws going through a piece of trim that also acts as a reinforcement.

As requested, here are some more pics:

Jeff

Date Posted: July-04-2012 at 1:54am
Originally posted by nautique frk nautique frk wrote:

Jeff, the rudder looks bent and not correct can you post more photos ? what are you thinking on price ?

You are correct. The original rudder got smashed against the rocks during a storm, and a local shop fabricated one out of stainless steel. It's not the best job, and appears that it got bent at some point.

Price is a tough one. The big question would be: Is a Debonnaire worth more than one of the smaller Correct Craft boats of the same year due to it's rarity? I know that my friend was offered crazy money for it about 10 years ago, but refused the offer because he had grown up with the boat in the family, and it had too much sentimental value to part with. I think that was a once in a lifetime, never to happen again offer. Of course, no one kept any contact info for the person who was interested in it. I had a guy stop by today to drop off some vintage car parts for an upcomming show, and he happens to be into vintage boats. He has a restored Chris-Craft, and he really liked the Debonnaire. He thought that $5000 would be a fair price for it. He took some pictures to show to other people that he knows who collect vintage boats to see if any of them would be interested in it.

Jeff

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: July-04-2012 at 2:52am
Jeff don't take this wrong but- just because something is rare does not make it more valuable,it just could be that it wasn't right for the times. It may take awhile but I'm sure it will sell,it just needs the right person. It seems to be complete and with a good sanding and buff you'll never have to worry about not being seen.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: July-04-2012 at 10:56am
I can't see many people wanting to spend $5K on a boat in need of restoration, so that would be a really good offer.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: July-04-2012 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Jeff don't take this wrong but- just because something is rare does not make it more valuable,it just could be that it wasn't right for the times. It may take awhile but I'm sure it will sell,it just needs the right person. It seems to be complete and with a good sanding and buff you'll never have to worry about not being seen.

Don't worry, I won't take it wrong, as I'm not saying that it's worth more due to it's rarity, I'm only asking if it is. I see some beautifully restored mid-60's Barracudas with asking prices around $8000. (If I had a spare 9 grand, I'd be very tempted to buy the one out in California). If a Debonnaire is worth the same as a Barracuda, then I would think that this boat would probably be in the $1500-$2000 range. It's possible that it's less desirable than a Barracuda, therefore worth even less. One would think that the 426 would add some value to the boat, as it certainly does in a Chrysler car of the same vintage. The engine was only available for 3 years in cars, and very few had them. The guy who looked at it yesterday may have been basing his guess of the value on what an equivalent Chris-Craft would be worth. He's not in the market for another boat, but he said if I get down around $2500 that he might not be able to resist buying it.

I'll be vending at the big Chrysler show in Carlisle, PA. this weekend, and I plan to make up a poster with the boat on it to see if I can tempt some Chrysler fans into adding a boat to their collection.

Jeff

Date Posted: July-05-2012 at 2:33pm
Jeff, It is a rare boat for sure and it is nice and complete with original harware,etc. I think $2500.00 would be closer to a fair value. It is indeed a cool boat. I hope that someone on here gets it and brings it back to glory on the water.

Posted By: Air206
Date Posted: May-04-2016 at 12:52am
Whatever happened to this boat?

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/y6t5e3bu" rel="nofollow - 04 Air206
http://tinyurl.com/9urzgls" rel="nofollow - 91 Barefoot
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: May-04-2016 at 9:49am
The Debonnaire is currently located on Lake Oconee. We take it out as much as we can over the summers, and it is running great. Jan from Nautilus Restorations did a majority of the work on the boat, here is a link to his website.

http://nautilusrestorations.com/1963CCDebonnaire.html" rel="nofollow - Nautilus Restorations

I am still waiting to finish up the hard top that I have for the boat, other than that we are just enjoying it!

Here is a picture of it on Lake Oconoee with my brother's 1969 Barracuda

-------------
1963 Debonnaire Deluxe
1972 Separator Jet Boat

Posted By: Air206
Date Posted: May-04-2016 at 9:59am
Holy Cow! That's AWESOME!!!!!

Please, please. please BRING THAT TO A REUNION AROUND ME!

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/y6t5e3bu" rel="nofollow - 04 Air206
http://tinyurl.com/9urzgls" rel="nofollow - 91 Barefoot
78 SkiTiq

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: May-04-2016 at 10:12am
We keep ours on Oconee also (Sugar Creek Marina)....look forward to seeing it....

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: May-04-2016 at 10:17am
This one's still hanging out in Maine, although it's going to start deteriorating fast now that the cover is shot.

Date Posted: May-04-2016 at 10:17am
PS: sounds like a good excuse to drag Kermit over for a little mini-mini, eh Tim?

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: May-04-2016 at 10:43am
Sounds good to me Jeffro...... Lets do it!

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: May-04-2016 at 10:44am
Is the one in Maine the one previously registered in PA and posted by BigMoparJeff?

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: May-04-2016 at 2:07pm
74Wind,

I keep mine at the storage units off of Lake Oconee Parkway, right near Fish Tale Marina. I'm getting married end of May, so I doubt we will have the chance to take it out again before then. Hopefully we will bump into each other sometime in June.

Thanks,
Mike

-------------
1963 Debonnaire Deluxe
1972 Separator Jet Boat

Date Posted: May-04-2016 at 2:17pm

74Wind,

I keep mine at the storage units off of Lake Oconee Parkway, right near Fish Tale Marina. I'm getting married end of May, so I doubt we will have the chance to take it out again before then. Hopefully we will bump into each other sometime in June.

Thanks,
Mike

I know fish tales, rack barn just past the bridge. Congrats on wedding, we'll have to get together this summer...per above, Morfoot is in, maybe a few more by then??

Tim: remember the thread last year from the guy who was moving to Milledgeville? Can't recall the thread title or his name, but if you do, we should invite him when the time comes......

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: May-04-2016 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Is the one in Maine the one previously registered in PA and posted by BigMoparJeff?

No. This ones been there for at least a few years, John Sullivan (bachose) knows the story. I drove by it the other day and took that picture.

Posted By: Bakchose
Date Posted: May-05-2016 at 9:38am
Bruce that has to be the fourth blue tarp someone has put on it since I posted it on here. I do have a lead on who might own it. Forgot his name but I know it belongs to one of two cottages. I haven't pursued it do to a lack of time & space. If you are in my area again swing by and check out my construction project. The camp should be lifted and moved across the road this weekend. Pending the weather.

Date Posted: May-05-2016 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

74Wind,

Thanks,
Mike

I know fish tales, rack barn just past the bridge. Congrats on wedding, we'll have to get together this summer...per above, Morfoot is in, maybe a few more by then??

Tim: remember the thread last year from the guy who was moving to Milledgeville? Can't recall the thread title or his name, but if you do, we should invite him when the time comes......

Tim: ironic..the Milledgeville fan terminaldegree just posted Sinclair thread update, so invited him.

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: June-24-2016 at 10:52am
I am planning on bringing the Debonnaire out tomorrow to Lake Oconee (depending on the weather). If anyone else is around feel free to call or text me. Hope to see some of you all out there!

Mike
(407) 252-3297

-------------
1963 Debonnaire Deluxe
1972 Separator Jet Boat

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: June-24-2016 at 1:24pm
     Gonna be on Lanier for the weekend. would love to see this boat in person.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Print Page | Close Window