Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10703
Printed Date: April-25-2024 at 11:57am

Topic: Battery draining
Posted By: tyler
Subject: Battery draining
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 12:47am
Looking for alittle help: The Battery on my 1980 nautique continues to go flat after the boat has been sitting for a few days, between use. The battery is in new condition marine starting type. I have checked all the abvious, ie: blower left on, nav lights, bilge, stereo, exct. cables are in good condition, battery holds a charge while in use and holds charge after recharging. but is flat dead if left hooked up and left in boat for any period of time. What am I missing?

-------------
sweet nautique

Replies:
Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 2:42am
You have a draw, or a small amp "leak"...
A 1 amp draw on a 100 amp hour battery will completely discharge it in 100 hrs. 2 amps of draw will do it trice as fast.
Remove the positive cable , hook a 12 volt test light between the post and the cable if there is a draw the light will shine.
Step "B" start pulling fuses till you isolate the circuit that is causing the draw.
Step "C" find what that draw is.....Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 7:41am
Tyler. The Doc has got you going in the correct direction but I wanted to add one thing about starting type batteries. They do not like to be fully discharged so do hunt down the drain soon. Unlike deep cycle batteries that are designed for a near zero discharge, a starting battery will be damaged each time it is drained. 3 or 4 times may be it for the battery.
Has anyone been doing some "creative" rewiring?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 11:27am
also is the water level right in the cells of the battery? pull the tops and check, might look like it's maintance free but is it? I know several brands are not.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: LaurelLakeSkier
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 11:49pm
Another possibility is a bad diode in your alternator. If you don't find anything else causing the drain you may want to have the alternator tested.

Posted By: tyler
Date Posted: June-06-2008 at 3:57am
Thanks for all the tips, Problem solved! stereo was the calprit, must of had some sort of internal short, was drawing power even thow it was off.

-------------
sweet nautique

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: June-06-2008 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by tyler tyler wrote:

Thanks for all the tips, Problem solved! stereo was the calprit, must of had some sort of internal short, was drawing power even thow it was off.

most likely it was the clock feature of the radio that was the draw, if you leave that wire un-connected and leave the other power feed connected you shouldn't have the drain.

most radio's have two power feeds a red and a orange wire I believe one is for the clock and other is for the radio. Check the manual's wiring diagram and you'll see what I'm refering too.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Print Page | Close Window