Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10693
Printed Date: April-29-2024 at 7:01am

Topic: Redneck Perfect Pass
Posted By: boat dr
Subject: Redneck Perfect Pass
Date Posted: June-02-2008 at 7:10pm
A few know what the latest add is to our old boat, but to all else here goes...........
Our old '64 has a foot throttle and can be a pain for running any distance at a set speed,foot cramps.....
After looking at other speed control devices on the market I was not going to spend that much for foot releif.........
Did a Google on cruise controls, and found several but only one that would serve my particular needs.
AudioVox makes a unit that fits the needs.Servo size about the size of a tennis ball and a dash mounted switch.
The Hall Effects Sensor w/2 magnets mount on the drive shaft coupler, tach lead to the coil, servo vacuum to the PCV vacuum source, completes hardware.
1 hot lead to constant 12 v one lead to 12 v switched two grounds and mount the conrol box on the dash......
Too easy and way TOO COOL. 5 hrs of labor to install and trouble shoot for bugs, and 102.33 for unit shipped to my door.................Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Replies:
Posted By: anthonylizardi
Date Posted: June-02-2008 at 7:30pm
Cool idea, smart, affordable and effective. Have any pictures? BTW, I sent you an e-mail about removable platforms brackets. Do you still sell them? Is so, do you think I can give a call one of thiese days to get more info?

Thanks,
Anthony

Date Posted: June-02-2008 at 8:11pm
Anthony, some how me and Emails dont seem to work too well, but i can talk................1-318-386-2825

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: RainDog
Date Posted: June-02-2008 at 8:50pm
Doc, how about a few pics.
While we are on it, how about the GL 07 pics?
Karen was shootin like crazy and I know you are sitting on some gems.

It would be a good way to jump start the chatter and get everyone excited about 08.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1868&sort=&pagenum=1 - 62 Classic

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5242&sort=&pagenum=1 - 2002 Super Air

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 1:53am
Hey Doc... If you really want to be redneck why not use a brick or even a boat anchor???

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 2:26am
I guess there is a different meaning down here for that term than is used elsewhere.I seem to pride mtself in thinking outside the box that so many seem destined to be trapped in for eternity.
Using my mind rather than my charge card, and not following but rather going to the beat I here inside my own head.
My neck actually being "RED" or sunburned from doing an honest days work outside in the heat and clean air.
This does not mean using a brick or an anchor but using your brain and reasoning power to say ,,,,,WHY NOT.........
Lots of conversations with Pete start with "Shoot down this idea, and if you can I will start over." I have a lot of respect for him and his formal education,at times we even agree.
Speaking of bricks , what type system do you have or is an anchor your choice???? Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 2:36am
Sorry Doc, A northern born but raised Ga boy I am and the term redneck only means one thing to me.....just have the standard MV-1 throttle control at wrists edge. It's probably a good thing, helps to build a strong wrist. No limp wrists round here...

Standard 15 lb mushroom anchor is behind drivers seat for anchoring or tossing at the annoying jetskiers jumping 20 ft behind the boat. Whichever comes first.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Standard 15 lb mushroom anchor is behind drivers seat for anchoring or tossing at the annoying jetskiers jumping 20 ft behind the boat. Whichever comes first.

ROFLOL Foot!
I use it for the same things... Only thing is, mine is under the back seat, so I miss the jetskiers a lot. LOL

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Posted By: The Lake
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 9:50am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Anthony, some how me and Emails dont seem to work too well, but i can talk................1-318-386-2825

A truer statement was never made.

Chuck

-------------
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=775&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970 - 69 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 11:20am
Billy, Correct Craft figured it out in 1964, that original toe/heel pedal already did that. Sounds cool though. I look forward to seeing it one of these days.

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Billy, Correct Craft figured it out in 1964, that original toe/heel pedal already did that.

Bruce, He's got a heel and toe but keep in mind that as we age, our ankle and leg mussels get weak. Of coarse compounding the problem is the return spring Billy's got on it - I think he used a spring off a 7' by 16' overhead door!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 11:40am
Pete, he's got one of those big racing pedals like they put on the bass boats, (I know you're cringing).

The tow/heel pedal shouldn't have a return spring, but should stick where you leave it, right? That's how it was on our Barracuda.

-------------

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 11:55am
I bet he's got one of those big chromed pedals in the shape of a foot and toes

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 12:20pm
What's wrong with that??? You got something against FooT???

-------------

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Doc, how about the GL 07 pics?
Karen was shootin like crazy and I know you are sitting on some gems.

It would be a good way to jump start the chatter and get everyone excited about 08.

Stevo,

In case the Good Dr missed it on your post!!

Doc, time to give up the goods!!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 7:50pm
I dunno, Quinner. What is it gonna take?

I think Billy might have something like my old man used to have - highly selective hearing.

After all, he is MARRIED now an these types of skills do come in handy.

How's the water temp on Deep?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1868&sort=&pagenum=1 - 62 Classic

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5242&sort=&pagenum=1 - 2002 Super Air

Posted By: behindpropeller
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 7:57pm
Boat Dr-

Good find. I ordered one today!!!

Just my style!!
Tim

-------------

Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 8:45pm
Doc, i have you beat, i drove a 1972 pinto around for 2 months that i paid 60 bucks for, the floor was a no parking sign, and the cable broke to the carb so i tied a string to carb linkage and brought it thru the firewall and it was hand operated from that point

-------------

Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 9:18pm
Tim , give me a call and will turn you on to a few of the tips the Tech gave me.
A couple of things are not real plain and seem to contradict. The guy I spoke with was sharp and walked me right thru it......
1-318-386-2825..........
Just put the final touches on the linkage arms, now it should work in all modes..
Speed up
Speed down
Speed set
BEST OF All "RESUME"

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 12:02am
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

How's the water temp on Deep?

It's a risin! Last weekend 63deg at the surface. Probably up some since.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: 80 Ski-Tique
Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 12:52am
Let us know how it works! How close is of a tolerance does it have on speed? It is like 1 or 2 mph or less?

Posted By: Dank
Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 7:52pm
Is this the one you used? I'm interested in the tolerance as well. Would it be sufficient for wakeboarding?

http://www.brandsplace.com/0002-ccs100.html - CCS100

-------------
"I don't know what the world may need, but a http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=886&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - V8 engine's a good start for me"

Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 8:21pm
spinner hubcaps for the trailer anyone? lol
i gotta hand to you Boat Doc, redneck engineering

-------------

Date Posted: June-05-2008 at 1:17am
I just realized that the unit you used will only hold rpm, not speed. So it will work great for your intented use but not for wakeboarding where you might increase 400-500 rpm to maintain the same speed under a hard load. I was starting to wonder why everyone with older boats aren't using that for wakeboarding but it has to have either a GPS speed sensor, best option, or a standard pressure based speed sensor or paddle wheel. Man I wish I could get something like that cheap!

Date Posted: June-05-2008 at 1:30am
Originally posted by 80 Ski-Tique 80 Ski-Tique wrote:

I just realized that the unit you used will only hold rpm, not speed. So it will work great for your intented use but not for wakeboarding where you might increase 400-500 rpm to maintain the same speed under a hard load. I was starting to wonder why everyone with older boats aren't using that for wakeboarding but it has to have either a GPS speed sensor, best option, or a standard pressure based speed sensor or paddle wheel. Man I wish I could get something like that cheap!

It will indeed use a paddle wheel, there are several setting as to PPM, but finding a sender that is campatable with that may prove difficult.
this unit senses RPM as well as the drive shaft sensor, so with the correct sendor it would maintain speed with no regard to rpm's............Boat dr

And yes to that being the same unit I am using, still working on linkage issues . But this is a minor setback if you want all the features to work......Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: June-05-2008 at 1:46am
Sweet, let me know what sensor you end up using and how tight it will hold a speed. I don't have anything on my boat but a slightly skilled hand working the throttle but my friend's newer boat has Perfect Pass and it's awazing how much rpm it has to pick up when you rail or turn hard to maintain the same speed. I always said it was for people who didn't know how to drive a boat until I wakeboarded behind his. No more thumbs up and down every 30 seconds. His will hold within a 1/2 mph, which I am jealous of. I would love to have something like it on mine without the arm and leg pricetag.

Date Posted: June-05-2008 at 1:54am
My dad is going to give me a hand at getting a GPS chip and integrating it into this thing.

It might work perfect for me since I don't weigh the boat down and make it drive like a pig.

Tim

-------------

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: June-05-2008 at 2:12am

So it will work great for your intented use but not for wakeboarding where you might increase 400-500 rpm to maintain the same speed under a hard load.

Are you running with a lot of extra weight/ballast?

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: June-05-2008 at 9:46am
I would think you wont need a paddle since you have sensor on the prop shaft, the unit should sense the load on the shaft and automatically compensate with more throttle, i think it will be pretty accurate at keeping the boat to speed, even if your running ballast

-------------

Date Posted: June-05-2008 at 9:51am
but again the prop is turning exactly engine speed for most ha ha (unless its slipping)
it should work like a gem for what the boat doc is going to do with it

-------------

Date Posted: June-05-2008 at 9:56am
It will hold the RPM's. Speed will only change if the load on the hull changes such as turning. It would hold speed through a slalom coarse.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-05-2008 at 11:16am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I would think you wont need a paddle since you have sensor on the prop shaft, the unit should sense the load on the shaft and automatically compensate with more throttle, i think it will be pretty accurate at keeping the boat to speed, even if your running ballast

You could put more or less magnets on the shaft to give better/worse resolution too.

Tim

-------------

Date Posted: June-05-2008 at 11:36am
you pretty much want the magnets away from the rear output bearing, possibly put them on the stainless shaft

-------------

Date Posted: June-05-2008 at 11:40am
Yes we ride with ballast but that is not what really makes a difference. We pull so hard against the rope doing certain tricks that I can pull the boat off plane if I want to. My buddy is really big and built and when he pulls or rails the motor has to gain 400-500 rpm's sometimes just to maintain the same speed. A shaft sensor doesn't compensate for prop slippage and that's why a good perfect pass unit uses a GPS speed signal to maintain speed. My boat pulling wakeboarders can run anywhere from 12- 26 mph at the exact same rpm, it depends on the rider's weight and how hard they pull against the line. I agree it doesn't change much pulling slalom skiers but your not close to your planing speed when pulling them like pulling a wakeboarder which is usually around 20-23 mph. I can keep my boat within 3 mph but that feels like a big difference when your riding unlike skiing where a few mph is not that noticable.

Posted By: Dank
Date Posted: June-05-2008 at 2:51pm
From the Perfect Pass Manual:

----------
Section 5. WAKEBOARD MODES
There are two operating modes to choose from. RPM Mode or Speed based Wakeboard Mode which uses the signal from the paddle wheel.

Why two choices ?

Some prefer the pull of the RPM mode which is very smooth, particularly if you do not have a large load such as fat sacs & numerous people. If the boat is heavily loaded, the rpm mode may not control well coming out of the turns or recover speed quickly enough after a strong pull. RPM mode is also ideal for open water slalom skiing and other towed water
sports.

The speed based wakeboard mode is generally more accurate and load does not generally affect its ability to control speed.
----------

I don't care much about the turning as we are almost always pulling in a straight line. Also, the ballast comment doesn't make sense to me...once up to speed it will take the same RPMs to pull the boat the same speed, we're not changing the amount of ballast on the fly. The recovery from a hard pull could be a concern though.

-------------
"I don't know what the world may need, but a http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=886&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - V8 engine's a good start for me"

Date Posted: June-05-2008 at 3:33pm
Ballast does make a difference because it changes the angle of attack that your boat rides in the water. Once that angle of attack reaches a certain point your boat essentially stalls and looses plane and is now just pushing though the water. Couple the extra weight with some hard pulls and the ballast makes a difference.

Tim

-------------

Date Posted: June-06-2008 at 8:34pm
What if we ditch the paddle wheel and go GPS?

I just got off the phone with Summit Racing. I was checking into a typical Stewart Warner boat speedo and pitot tube. He mentioned there was a company - Nordskog - that makes a GPS receiver that can be custom configured to drive ANALOG electric (auto) speedometers.

Cool for me, I thought, I could get accuracy and keep the vintage look for the Classic.

Then I thought of this thread. Since the pulse output of the GPS receiver can be customized, how about interfacing it into the 'cruise control' modulating device and bypassing paddle wheels, magnets and other speed sensors? It costs $191 from Summit. Not too crazy, me thinks.

Redneck Zero Off anyone?

-------------

Posted By: Brktracer
Date Posted: June-10-2008 at 1:03am

Doc, i have you beat, i drove a 1972 pinto around for 2 months that i paid 60 bucks for, the floor was a no parking sign, and the cable broke to the carb so i tied a string to carb linkage and brought it thru the firewall and it was hand operated from that point

Funny story. Thread jack for a min...

My uncle, who was driving a '78 Pinto, was stopped for not wearing his seatbelt. He asked the state patrol officer, "Would you strap yourself into a '78 Pinto?" Obviously the officer wasn't amused and wrote a ticket.

Had I been the officer, I would have let him go!

As far as the "cruise control" I'm really curious about the system. I've learned enough at work to barely be dangerous with controls. I'd like to see the trigger wheel installed on the shaft (pics please). Also, is the system tunable? For example, can the PID gains be adjusted?

I'll strongly consider installing one if I can get more info. I could really benefit from one. If the price is right I might go for it!

Matt

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3180 - 1976 Nautique

Date Posted: June-10-2008 at 2:00am
Matt, putting the finishing touches on the unit now.Sunday was a shake down cruise, and all was fine till a magnet slung off......
Unit will hold a set speed , coast ,slow down and speed up.It appears to give a 100 rpm increase or decrease at each bump of the up or down control button.Have not checked with the GPS but it looks like this is about 1 MPH per bump.
But the COOLEST THING is the resume feature.Slow down and want to return to previous speed , Hit Resume ....Too Cool..
It also has a Automatic and Manual transmission mode.This feature , when in Manual Transmission mode will "kick the unit out" when it "senses" a rpm rise.As if you mashed the clutch,or if you accelerate slightly.
So far I have less than 125.00 dollars but have about 10 hours labor to fine tune the set up. Still dollars ahead VS A Real Perefect Pass.My wallet is still green and my right foot is happy.
Not to sound too dumb Matt but what is PID gain and how will that effect the logic of this unit.
There are two magnets mounted to the coupler and another wire connected to the tach.Seemed to work fine , but will only give you a set RPM and not Speed.........Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: June-10-2008 at 2:29am
The easiest way to describe PID gain is the speed at which the controller makes adjustments. For example...think about pulling someone skiing. If you are running 1 mph too slow and you push the throttle up the boat might increase in speed by 2 mph (just for example). You pull back and the boat decreases speed by 2 mph. As you keep doing this you can never hold the correct speed. You are trying to run 26 but the boat is at 25. Push down...27...pull back...25...push down 27...this continues and you never reach 26. Another example...as above boat is running 25 and you want to run 26. You push down just a little and the boat runs 25.1 ... a little more and 25.2 ... a little more and 25.28 ... a little more and 25.30 ... a little more and ...25.31 ... at this rate you will never get to 26.

P=porportion, I=integral, D=derivative. Typically D=0. P and I values are tuned to prevent the conditions above.

I hope this makes a little sense.

If you want RPM control you should be able to use the tach signal (or ignition trigger signal) as it is a magnetic trigger! The distributor runs 1/2 crank speed so there are 4 triggers per rpm, assuming you are using a magnetic trigger which most electronic ignitions do. It should work with a points trigger also as they basically do the same thing. In other words, you might not even need the trigger on the output shaft, which it sounds like you have had some trouble with! The engine and shaft RPM's are 1:1 or whatever your trans ratio is.

I'm using a "crank trigger" on my race car. It has magnets in the "wheel" that trigger a pick-up thus triggering the ignition system. The magnets are installed by drilling parallel to the crank centerline so they don't come out. Maybe this design will help with your installation.

I'm all about some redneck-rigged-up-stuff that works and everybody says, "How'd you do that?" Then you can say the famous last words, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Matt

-------------

Date Posted: June-10-2008 at 8:47am
This thread is very intresting, but to us tech illiterated guys it sounds a bit Chinese without pics...

Could we see some pictures please please please...?

-------------
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Date Posted: June-10-2008 at 9:53am
BD will it hold the RPMs on a incline?

-------------

Date Posted: June-10-2008 at 10:33am
Matt is right, but the simplest way to look at is PID gain is how much correction is made per unit of error.

If the error is 1 mph below set point and we have a gain of 100, the correction would be + 100 rpm.

If the error is 1 mph below set point and we have a gain of 200, the correction would be + 200 rpm.

These numbers may not be the exactly what you are working with, but the concept should be the same.

-------------

Posted By: 65 'cuda
Date Posted: June-10-2008 at 1:40pm
Raindog, I'd like to look at the output of the gps unit your speaking of and compare to what the Cruise module likes to see. Billy do you know resolution capabilities of the cruise? And what the differential needs to be before it decides to make a correction? You guys might have invented a 350.00 gps based perfect pass.

-------------
Gary

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=941" rel="nofollow - 1965 Barracuda SS

Date Posted: June-10-2008 at 5:26pm
Gary,
I got limited info from the tech at Summit. He said you can custom order the output of the GPS.    I'm assuming that it adheres to standard electronic speedometer output. He mentioned the SW gauge I want to use needs a 8 pulse output while other gauges need 16 pulse output. This might mean a lot more to you or other guys around here.

I'm trying to get additional info in the next week or so. You could call Summit and ask about NRD-S9020. This is the sending unit they recommended. The customer service rep was at x5836 and was really helpful. Maybe you could get a number for Nordskog as well. There isn't any contact info on their web site.

Let us know what you learn. I can't experiment on this for a month or so.

-------------

Date Posted: June-10-2008 at 6:38pm
I printed the instructions of the internet and started looking through them. I have little doubt this kit will work, and I bet it can be massaged to work really good!

For the money (I think you said ~$100) it could be a dream come true for us "red necks."

I have some ideas how to make a rope operated switch (like the one on perfect pass) work.

It appears the gains are not adjustable on the unit with the exception of a coarse adjustment. The kit has 3 levels of "sensitivity." However, this might not be a problem because the servo could be installed in such a way as to change the mechanical advantage it has on the carb linkage therefore fine tuning the "gain."

This is a really neat kit and could work well on our boats with some fine tuning.

I'm definately interested!

One precaution. ANY TIME you start fooling around with the carb linkage be VERY CAREFUL as they can hang open if everything is not perfect. Test it a few times with the engine off and know to turn off the key if it hangs open. I've seen some really bad things happen from linkage hanging open!

-------------

Date Posted: June-10-2008 at 7:44pm
Matt, 3/4 of the hours spent on the install were used on the "linkage and return".I could spend an hour trying to describe the pain I went thru to "fail proof" the linkage and the return springs.
Simple is always my mode but this does not translate to ease of fabrication.
If you would like more info or just want to talk "redneck" my phone is always close and love to talk to fellow CCFans.......Billy
    1-318-386-2825

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: June-11-2008 at 8:13pm
Heres some pics that Doc sent me of his set up.

-------------

Date Posted: June-11-2008 at 8:36pm
Tim, thank you bunches for posting the pics for this Old Man.As you can see there is not much to see,the switch on the dash, and the actuator cable sitting beside the Teleflex throttle cable.
The return spring is not needed but was installed for safety reasons.
The speed sensor is mounted in a hidden area,close to the coupler.The two magnets, epoxied to the flanges and the glass tape , just for security of the magnets.
The actuator is mounted with the cable going to the floor and then following the throttle cable. Wiring for the control unit then passes along the starboard stringer to terminate at the swich mounted on the dash.
Works better than I would have dreamed, and still have coins for a couple of gallons of fuel.............
The "keep it originals " will scoff but..........Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: June-11-2008 at 8:58pm
I applaud your effort Doc! You saved a few pennies and your foot.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: June-12-2008 at 1:08am
So it works fine? How does it do around 20 mph? That's the hardest speed to hold...boarding speed. Skiing is not problem.

Where did you mount the actuator?

Is the actuator strong enough to move the pedal up and down? It kind of looks like you installed a "slip link" on the morse cable but I can't tell for sure.

Looks like I'll have one soon! Sweet!

Thanks for the pics!

-------------

Date Posted: June-12-2008 at 1:49am
Matt,the last pic shows the location in the upper front corner of the motor area. Directly behind the drivers seat.
The description of the "pull to open" as "slip linkage" and a good desriptive. Spent more time there than on the wiring and install on the rest of the parts.
As far as using it in the "slower mode" I have used it from 1000 to 3500 and see no difference in setting nor holding any given rpm.
Hard turns seem to have little effect maintaining a set speed.More testing will be done again comr the weekend.....Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: June-12-2008 at 2:46pm
Dr-

I will be installing mine this weekend. Any best time to call you??

Thanks

Tim

-------------

Date Posted: June-12-2008 at 2:52pm
A brick on the pedal wouldve done the same thing

-------------

Date Posted: June-12-2008 at 2:59pm
Eric, I can't even buy a brick for $100!

Billy, Where did you buy the kit? The ones I see for around $100 are the vacuum operated ones. I think the electric version would work better since my cam doesn't make alot of vacuum.

Thanks!

-------------

Date Posted: June-12-2008 at 3:48pm
The servo is indeed vacuum , your cam cannot be "wilder than mine. The tech said all it needed was 9" of vacuum and if the motor cannot hold that, a canster seems to be an easy fix. Some smaller 4 cyl. cars do not have enough at cruise so this was the fix.
I saw several of the motor drive type servo's , but chose the vacuum type for ease of install and the dependability factor.
Water and drive motors do not mix...................Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: June-12-2008 at 3:51pm
Tim, give me a call anytime today......
I will leave early for a trip to town about 4;30 cental time 1-318-386-2825.....Billy

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: June-12-2008 at 5:33pm

A brick on the pedal wouldve done the same thing

This is divorce insurance.

-------------

Date Posted: June-20-2008 at 4:44pm
Gary,
I found some more info on the S9020 Nordskog GPS unit. It can put out 8000 pulses per mile or 16000 pulses per mile. I have a data sheet if you want to look at it.

If the PPM needed is not 8K or 16K, they have a pulse converter module for about $100, model S9000. It will translate to almost any PPM for any specific application. I have a data sheet on this as well.

I'm pretty sold on using the S9020 to drive an analog Stewart Warner speedo. I'm waiting to find a good, matching SW gauge on Ebay to keep the costs within reason.

-------------

Date Posted: June-21-2008 at 10:16pm
Steve and fellow CCFans.....Got it going now.
Just got off the lake and everything works great, much better than expectations.
Seems as if the last round of glitches was due to the "Brake interupt" was not grounded properly. After several hours of checking and re checking that was all that was left.
Set the PPM at 2000 turn #3 and #7 dip switches to on all else to off.All functions work fine,speed up is about 75 rpm's per bump in both the up and down modes.
1500 rpm's hold rock steady, have not tried a skier but hard turns yeild no drop in speed.I have spent a lot of time and less than $150.00 to get the desired results.............Redneck Perfect Pass

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: June-21-2008 at 10:38pm
Doc, I never had any doubts what so ever that you wouldn't get it going! Fantastic!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-24-2008 at 5:26pm
My boat holds speed much better since getting the prop and shaft fixed not to mention the bad cam.

It is fine skiing but we've found it's tough to hold 21 mph for kneeboarding. Maybe this is a possible solution. Also, the gps unit should work in place of the magnetic trigger. Another possibility.

I've determined I've got way too many other projects going right now so my RPP will have to wait. It's on my "C" list.

Matt

-------------

Posted By: telluride36
Date Posted: July-01-2008 at 5:09am
Has anybody done this to their boat, and used it for wakeboarding yet? I can pull people at a steady speed, but none of my friends can do it for me. I would love to do this for under $100 but not gonna pay $1000 for perfect pass.

I wanna hear from you before I get started on this. I wakeboard at a small lake, and need to know how it does on the turns pulling a wakeboarder.

Thanks

Posted By: horkn
Date Posted: July-01-2008 at 2:09pm

Yes we ride with ballast but that is not what really makes a difference. We pull so hard against the rope doing certain tricks that I can pull the boat off plane if I want to. My buddy is really big and built and when he pulls or rails the motor has to gain 400-500 rpm's sometimes just to maintain the same speed. A shaft sensor doesn't compensate for prop slippage and that's why a good perfect pass unit uses a GPS speed signal to maintain speed. My boat pulling wakeboarders can run anywhere from 12- 26 mph at the exact same rpm, it depends on the rider's weight and how hard they pull against the line. I agree it doesn't change much pulling slalom skiers but your not close to your planing speed when pulling them like pulling a wakeboarder which is usually around 20-23 mph. I can keep my boat within 3 mph but that feels like a big difference when your riding unlike skiing where a few mph is not that noticable.

I have the same issue.

Once I rode on a newer Air with PP, I enver wanted to go back.

I can really affect the boat's mph just by putting a load on the rope. 6'4" and 240lbs pulling on a Fly high can really alter the speed of the boat.

I wonder if my HP upgrade from 240-250hp to 300 or so with the performer manifold and gt40p heads will help the boat keep more steady speed. I would think that hp and tq upgrade would help.

But, if someone can inexpensively make a redneck PP, I will be all over it.

I hate having to give signals all the time to my GF. And believe me, she hates driving with me behind the boat. She thinks I am a wake snob. My Dad and other skiers/ boarders understand that constant speed does not equate to constant rpm.

-------------
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg

Date Posted: August-20-2008 at 5:43pm
From another thread...

Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Steve get a real job like the rest of poor slobs, gotta water wheel question.Still got that bone in my mouth as to the red neck perfect pass.
If that is indeed hall effect does it produce AC or DC voltage. I have one hooked up in the shop and cannot get a reading either way,sorry for being less than smart on this issue.
Share some brain cells with the old man..................Billy

Billy, I believe the cruise control uses a hall effect switch where it does not produce voltage or current. It is a pulsing contact.

Think of it like a wall switch for your lights at home. If you turn that switch on and off as fast as you can with a meter across it, will you generate electricity? Nope. However, if you apply 120V and a light bulb to the circuit, you can now turn the light bulb on and off. If you turn it on and off really slow, you have darkness and light. If you turn it off and on really fast, you'd have something that looks like a continuous dim light. If you turn it on and off super duper fast, you'd have a bright light.

Well, that is how your cruise control module reads the speed from the hall effect switch and the magnets on your coupling. The cruise control module supplies (sources) power to the circuit and reads the frequency of the pulsing contact to figure speed. The module then modulates the throttle actuator to make the frequency equal to the frequency it was reading when you pressed your 'cruise' button.

If you want to read anything from the hall effect switch, you need to use your digital volt meter and measure the frequency. It should go up and down as you rev the mighty 331.

-------------

Date Posted: August-20-2008 at 5:50pm
I do want to mention that there are types Hall Effect sensors will generate a varying voltage or current. But I believe what we are working with is actually a Hall Effect Switch which is a pulsing contact.

-------------

Posted By: Tomski
Date Posted: October-26-2010 at 1:29pm
Doc, may need a bit of info on this as i have come by a ccs100 cruise unit and am thinking of using it on the boat if you are still happy with it. If not what was the problem?

-------------
Easily Parted From Money

Posted By: form&function
Date Posted: October-26-2010 at 1:57pm
I came apon this thread before I was even a member here.I managed to hook up a gps puck and set the unit to read like a gm tranny with a pulse sensor.After dialing it in a bit it worked very well.I payed 80 for the unit and 200 for the puck but I am sure the puck has come down by now.

Date Posted: October-26-2010 at 7:02pm
I was going to try it just on revs for now. Was talking to someone at the weekend who had PP wakeboard pro on his boat and said he always ran it in RPM mode because the speed mode never worked right - I spent a season riding behind the boat and was never aware of any issues with holding speed.

The pulse generator is the way I'll go if it doesn't work. I was wondering this morning if anyone has written a pulse generating ap for the iphone? Tunes, comms and speed control in one unit - now that's effecient.

-------------
Easily Parted From Money

Posted By: horkn
Date Posted: October-27-2010 at 2:25am
http://www.fixthisride.com/showproductdetail.jsp?prod_id=33495 - this kit?

I was not able to find this on Summit's site, but found it a few other places. I would rather buy from a more reputable source.

-------------
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg

Date Posted: October-27-2010 at 8:09am
That's what I've got. Mine has been removed from a car. I don't think it's manufactured any more.

-------------
Easily Parted From Money

Date Posted: October-27-2010 at 11:19am
That is the kit I used on Karens ,works great. Keeping the magnets secured to the coupler was the biggest pain, epoxy will not hold.
I will share more info if needed on the setting of the dip switchs.When I came up with the idea, too cool, before I was thru I wanted to throw it in the lake, two years later it still works as good as new.
Morfoot had a pull behind her, with cruise, and with out......

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: October-27-2010 at 1:39pm
Well I've got the thing now so it's going on whatever, but I'd be curious to know what morfoot thought of the pull.

-------------
Easily Parted From Money

Date Posted: October-27-2010 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

I came apon this thread before I was even a member here.I managed to hook up a gps puck and set the unit to read like a gm tranny with a pulse sensor.After dialing it in a bit it worked very well.I payed 80 for the unit and 200 for the puck but I am sure the puck has come down by now.

I'd like to know more about this F&F, since I got a unit too and plan to build it in my boat this winter...

BTW, Akabulla did something similar on his boat:

Originally posted by akabulla akabulla wrote:

Well I found exactly what I was looking for. It is a GPS sender to replace your paddle wheel. It works with all electrical type speedo devices. The paddle wheel was $112 and this device is $210 after converting it from Australian currency.   So for a little more than $100 over the paddle wheel I will have GPS and get to use my matching speedo and don't have to cut a hole in my boat! Perfect pass will have to wait till next summer. Here is a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.hummingbirdelectronics.com.au/senders.html - http://www.hummingbirdelectronics.com.au/senders.html

Once I get it installed I will let you know how it works!

-------------

Posted By: akabulla
Date Posted: October-27-2010 at 8:31pm
The humming bird works like a champ! Easy to install and has never failed me. It is a little slow but nothing to bad to wakeboard with.

Date Posted: October-27-2010 at 8:39pm
It arrived today and looks easy enough to fit and connect. Not sure what running it with magnets and the tach signal achieves?

I am curious about going GPS. Can't believe there isn't an iphone app that will generate a pulse. I've looked into the full technical spec of my garmin and that will produce a speed output, but it's raw speed vector data which my simple audiovox is not going to understand.

Think it's last run of the season this wekend, so will board then winterise then look at instalation issues. I was thinking of using a flexible throttle cable for the last bit to the carb so as not to need the slip link arangement the Doc had to perfect - any reasons not to? I know there isn't mechanical close on the throttle anymore, but there isn't with the slip link either.

-------------
Easily Parted From Money

Posted By: Fl Inboards
Date Posted: October-27-2010 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

http://www.fixthisride.com/showproductdetail.jsp?prod_id=33495 - this kit?

I was not able to find this on Summit's site, but found it a few other places. I would rather buy from a more reputable source.

In 1995 We were mandated by the then president Mr Walt to come up with our own design for a speed control for waterskiing. At the time we were utilizing the Hobbs system that worked well enough to pull world level tournaments, But it was deemed that our department could fab and build one good enough to satisfy the IWSF mandate for speed control in a tournament boat. we actually installed a very similar unit as the the one sold thru Summit. I remember utilizing a vacume canister out of a Ford Bronco to help maintain good vacume to keep the system engaged. I put those hall effect magnets all over the place and mounted crazy mounts for the pick ups. Finally we realized and were informed that we could not get around the propriatry patents that Mr. Hobbs owned and later sold to Perfect Pass. So long story shortened that same unit that we played with got pulled out of the boat and installed in our 05 Ford truck and to this day is still working in that truck!

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Date Posted: October-27-2010 at 11:19pm
Jody, leave it to a red neck to make it work. Two magnets super glue and safety wired onto the coupling.Use the highest dip switch setting on #1 and #2 4000PPM turn #3 and #7 on. Some of us have deeper pockets than others.
My RNPP was not built nor shared here as a top end water ski item you demand. The install and tweeking to final plug and play was about four hours.Morfoot did a few passes this week end at 32 ,34, and at 37 it would hold his speed with the only change being the exhaut note.
It is not as good as yours but works well for the money invested,100 dollars.....
Check out the video on Tim's Boat dr visit. Then again I have a slight power advantage over you also,34 mph = 3000 rpm...12x16 OJ......

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: May-06-2011 at 11:24am
I'm back on the case with this now and have a friend who has a freind who is a sofware developer and is keen to try and write an ap for Iphone and or android that will generate a GPS based pulse to feed into speed control.

What I am wondering is what king of sample rate is necessary to generate a smooth constant speed? I have downloaded a couple of freebie apps and they seem too slow to react, I am not sure whether thats a low sample rate or a product of the vectoring used to generate a constant read out.

I'll have a look at PP and see if that has the rate on there. My plan was to do it so that the PPM is adjustable.

Tom

-------------
Easily Parted From Money

Posted By: mparsons
Date Posted: April-01-2015 at 6:07pm
I wanted to resurrect this post and ask if anyone has had any luck getting this system to work with a gps module. Ive ordered the CCS 100 and a high rate GPS module that should create the signal wave that the cruise controller can use. I was hoping someone may have done this since the post had originally started 5 years ago!
Anyways ill do my due diligence to update this post for anyone else trying this. Im shooting for april 11th and 12th to try to install this system. Ill let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks

Date Posted: April-01-2015 at 6:53pm
Cool... Document your progress with pictures... Lots and lots of pictures!!!

-------------

Date Posted: April-02-2015 at 12:46pm
Hey Doc would you mind if i gave you a call some afternoon? id love to pick your brain about your throttle linkage setup. That seems to be the bread and butter of this system. Im an electrical engineer so i know i can get the speed signal and cruise module to operate, i just want to learn from someone experienced how to go about the mechanical linkage side. Also if anyone else has pictures of this type of setup, please feel free to post them.

From looking at your pictures Doc it seems that the original throttle cable has now been extended with a spring linkage that can allow the cruise to operate the entire "throttle range" by pushing against the spring on the original cable, or moving with the spring on the original cable. Any help is always appreciated!

Date Posted: April-03-2015 at 6:46am
I got lots of pictures on Doc's setup when I was staying at his house.
I'll see if I get to posting some tonight.

-------------

Date Posted: April-03-2015 at 10:50am
Kristof that would be awesome if you could get some pictures. Any and all pictures you have of the throttle linkage at the carburetor on Docs boat will help me a ton!

Date Posted: April-03-2015 at 4:22pm
Matt,

Searched my whole computer and even my external hard drive. Can't find the pictures anymore!!
Man I'm so bummed...

But on page 2 of this topic, you can find some pictures of Billy's setup. Those are pictures I had too.

Please please please, post lots of pictures of your work! So I can save them again on my computer...

-------------

Date Posted: April-04-2015 at 11:27pm
Kristof thanks for looking for me, i appreciate you trying. I have been referencing the pictures on page 2 for my plan. I am still waiting on parts, but like i said im going to give her 100 percent next weekend and see if i cant make some progress. Ill take pictures for you no doubt!

Date Posted: April-12-2015 at 12:49am
As promised here are some pictures of the cruise progress so far.

Zero cruise throttle:

http://postimg.org/image/ppenpis6r/" rel="nofollow">

100 percent cruise throttle:
http://postimg.org/image/3xf0uxmsh/" rel="nofollow">

Overview:

http://postimg.org/image/5t8sjtklh/" rel="nofollow">

Closer view of the slide block:
http://postimg.org/image/maagx2wmj/" rel="nofollow">

So the purpose of this block and spring system is to allow the boat throttle system to work as normal, but also allow the cruise actuator to advance or return the throttle independent of the throttle lever by the captain's chair.

If a picture is worth a 1000 words, a video might be worth a million! Excuse the crappy quality, it was shot to send by text.
http://tinypic.com/r/2u949dz/8" rel="nofollow - View My Video

Posted By: Stunt Driver
Date Posted: May-14-2015 at 2:50am
Allow me to join the party please!! Workign to solve same problem, but don't mind investing some time to make it pretty, and even build in small volume, if there is interest.
I am building system as speed limiter, similar to PP and RS. But it can be adapted to those throttle-pedal boats too. I just don't think it's safe to let DIY kit to thottle up.

Dear Mparsons - interested by your throttle control control! Have you water tested complete solution yet?

I am posting updates with photos and some videos here http://steadypass.webs.com" rel="nofollow - http://steadypass.webs.com/
Please help with feedback.

-------------
1999 Bayliner Capri - aka poor man's Nautique

Date Posted: May-14-2015 at 8:40am
Stunt driver thanks a lot for joining in. Yes I have gotten my system to work on the water. It works really well at wakeboarding speeds, but I'm still working on the wake surfing speed ( wants to surge a little too much). The main problem causing the surge is the fact that the ccs system is only designed to engage at 30 mph or more, so I'm tricking it into thinking it it's faster than it really is. Are their any questions or any way I could help you?. I have had pretty much zero issues with my slip link throttle setup with at least 20 lake hours on it this way.

Date Posted: May-14-2015 at 2:09pm
Gentlemen,

Can you please please make a DIY on this how to install my Audiovox ccs in my boat and make it work with a GPS sender?
And I mean (to quote the movie "Philadelphia"): explain it to me like a six year old...

I have this kit on my shelf for the past five years now and never got the courage (nor time) to get to installing it...

And which GPS sender to get, and wherencan I buy one...

My gratitude would be enormous

-------------

Date Posted: May-14-2015 at 7:52pm
Kristof - i don't think anyone did master audiovox-GPS combo. I'd like to hear otherwise.

mParsons - Thanks for reply!
I generally say - nah, how could it fail:)
But this time, with boat, where I am on the rope and can't even be heard - I decided to stick wtih limiter, vs rev-upper mechanism.

I spent some time figuring out if I can use Audiovox like sytem, honestly. but decided to give myself a bit more challenge - What can there be so complex in actual Perfect pass that can not be reproduced??

Getting my factory made PCB today, expect udpate in blog;)
ps sent you email, hope you got it

To All - any one can advise an IC that can be used for RPM measurement? I invision an IC that constantly measures time between pulses, and outputs that time via several pins (prefer not to use any data bus). I'm looking to offload this routine from my CPU, and hopefully increase accuracy too. best I can get is 0.5% error cycle to cycle so far.

-------------

Date Posted: May-18-2015 at 4:53pm
Got decent RPM based system working last weekend. Need to decrease servo step a little bit to make corrections smaller. This means HW is all good. Will have to work on smarter algorithm to adjust RPMs so that speed is close to setpoint.

Since my boat is I/O with 3.0L - it is never going to be held steady at setpoint speed or RPM, unlike most direct or V drive boats. But already I am able to remove taks of keeping speed constant from person at the controls

Going to order couple more kits now, who is ready to install and provide testing results?

-------------

Posted By: s_kelley2000
Date Posted: May-19-2015 at 6:06pm
Nice work! I might be interested in testing one out for you on my Nautique Super Sport. You don't see any reason it wouldn't work with EFI do you?

Date Posted: May-19-2015 at 7:12pm
With my limited knowledge about engine names - that EFI has a carbuerator that is controlled by rod, pulling on it to throttle up? Then it should work, i'm excited to learn how it behaves!

Can you shoot me a picture of where throttle cable/rod connects to carb at couple angles? Wouild like to evaluate how much space exists for the servo installation. That is the least figured out part when it comes to production.

-------------

Posted By: s_kelley2000
Date Posted: May-20-2015 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Stunt Driver Stunt Driver wrote:

With my limited knowledge about engine names - that EFI has a carbuerator that is controlled by rod, pulling on it to throttle up? Then it should work, i'm excited to learn how it behaves!

Can you shoot me a picture of where throttle cable/rod connects to carb at couple angles? Wouild like to evaluate how much space exists for the servo installation. That is the least figured out part when it comes to production.

There is no carb, its multiport fuel injection. But there is a traditional throttle cable just like with a carbed motor. I think there should be room for the servo, I know the perfect pass servo fits on other 502 Pythons. I will get you some pics though.

Shawn

Date Posted: May-28-2015 at 6:20pm
I'm struggling with correct RPM measurement here...

Below is what I see at my tachometer input. When I tried to count number of peaks - get 4 per revolution, but second parasite peak sometimes is too low.
However, there must be a simple R/C/else circuit to count one spark as one count.
Anyone can help?
Googling hard, but since i'm not EE by education - not having luck here.

-------------

Date Posted: June-16-2015 at 3:42pm
I have wakeboarded with speed controlled by my homebrew SteadyPass - and it prooved to be PERFECT!
Working to enable two more DIYers with this kit now, to extend testing, but expect nothing but success.
Here is raw screen of my device during RPM and then Speed modes https://youtu.be/GmzozqAwCUw" rel="nofollow - youtube

-------------

Date Posted: June-16-2015 at 9:28pm
Wow man, I can't believe how great this has turned out so far. Hate I was too busy to try and contribute to any of the code. Guessing your using rpm to help you steady out the GPS speed?! Anyways man very impressive. I'd be happy to support you and buy a unit

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: June-16-2015 at 10:00pm
Impressive

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Posted By: Aengenend
Date Posted: June-22-2015 at 12:45pm
Hello Stunt Driver,

Greetings all the way from holland,

Back in the day we used to wrap a few inches of wire around one of the spark plug wires to get a pulse for an ignition shut off relay.

Maybe this will supply a usable trigger signal for your RPM measurement..

I would like one of your kits for testing, primary use is wake boarding with occasional sky skiing and barefoot.. If all is well I know 1 of my buddies will want one too and maybe another one...

I would like to fabricate a bracket to use the PP style bowden cable linkage to the carb, this still is a non rev up solution. You think it can be done?

It will be on a 93 ski with the pro boss carb HO which is converted to LPG using an IMPCO 425 LPG mixer..

-------------
SN 93, Pro Boss HO, GT-40P, ACME 422

Print Page | Close Window