NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'86 Martinique: Part out vs New Stringers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hayajustin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hayajustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '86 Martinique: Part out vs New Stringers
    Posted: December-04-2019 at 2:38pm
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to get some input on my '86 Martinique. This last summer I started to see fiberglass pieces in the hull, which I know are from the stringers. I ran a boroscope down each side of the main engine rails and found where the pieces fell off. That being said, within 1-2 years I am expecting a stringer job will be necessary. I don't have a garage big enough to do the job. I assume if I have a shop do the work, it will be $3-4k dollars. Even if I had a shop do the work, the boat would not gain that much value if any.

So, I am considering parting it out. The boat is complete and mechanically in good shape. The engine and transmission have 825 hrs on them. I have gone through the trailer completely, front to back. I wonder what value I could get in parts.

$1000 for the engine?
$750 for the transmission?
$1500 for the trailer?

All other items would be small income compared to the 3 I listed above.

Also, I do less and less skiing every year do to a back injury from years ago. So, I am looking at going to a tritoon within the next couple of years and doing a lot more fishing.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2019 at 2:44pm
Proud values on those parts listed above.
hayajustin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hayajustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2019 at 2:48pm
I'm open to other's experience in the value of these parts. Where do you think the market is on these items?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2019 at 3:10pm
Engine isn’t far off but the trans and trailer are off by a factor of 2 or so.

Presumably a small block boat? The value of the smaller stuff adds up for sure. If you go that route I’d be interested in the pylon.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2019 at 3:24pm
Just keep driving it till the engine hits the hull.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2019 at 3:47pm
What Gary says. I'd keep using it. And in a few years, if the worse happens, part it out. IMHO, stringer jobs are for:

1. Folks that have plenty of time or can somehow manufacture that time.

and

2. Are wedded for some reason to the boat they're going to tear apart.

It's WAY cheaper to go buy another that has had the work done, or won't be needed it for a LONG time, or a '93 or newer, and keep on trucking. As a bonus, you don't even need a trailer :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic