NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Then and Now Automotive

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Then and Now Automotive
    Posted: September-12-2019 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

few projects as well as pulling the fuel pump that failed on the 312.

Pump is pulled and the rebuild kit from
Then and Now is on it's way. It took me a couple days to get the pump off. I had to get a 3/4" flare nut wrench since my flare wrenches didn't go that big. The trans cooler on the 312 is on the front end and the hard lines from the trans to the cooler run right in front of the fuel pump.

It's the first time I've used Then and Now and I'm impressed with the person I talked to. Knew all the right questions. Thanks Gary for your Then and Now links Must be you working on those tractors that you found them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2019 at 6:12pm
No Pete those are all gravity fed. I actually found them when I was looking to rebuild the Holman Moody pump. I knew it fit and I liked the oem canister filter on it. Glad they worked out for you.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2019 at 3:53pm
I had them rebuild the originals AC pump on my 302 PCM. I was impressed with how quickly they got it back to me.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Mille1sj Mille1sj wrote:

I had them rebuild the originals AC pump on my 302 PCM. I was impressed with how quickly they got it back to me.

Me too!
They're quick, communicative, very helpful.

I've had them do several fuel pumps, the last for a 312 Interceptor.
They bench test them and confirm correct pump output.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Originally posted by Mille1sj Mille1sj wrote:

Me too!
They're quick, communicative, very helpful.

I've had them do several fuel pumps, the last for a 312 Interceptor.
They bench test them and confirm correct pump output.

I do mine myself and save a few. This just came in the mail 30 minutes ago.

More pictures to follow when I dig into the pump.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 2:56pm
Maybe it's not in the picture or I don't see it, but it looks like you're missing the pulsator diaphragm in that collection of parts Pete.

Maybe you model doesn't use/need one for whatever reason like maybe the big filter bowl on the bottom makes it unnecessary but I doubt it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 3:31pm
Ken,
Thanks for the heads up. Yup, after a close exam, they sent the wrong kit! The correct one is on the way.

BTW, the glass filter bowl on a Y faces up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 4:24pm
Pete, we don't have a fuel pump like that on our Y block. PO replaced it with an automotive pump, but we do have one on our 100 hp Interceptor. It works well, buy looks pretty dangerous with that glass bowl,
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ken,
Thanks for the heads up. Yup, after a close exam, they sent the wrong kit! The correct one is on the way.

BTW, the glass filter bowl on a Y faces up.

Just watchin' out for ya' Pete

As I looked some more, your "right" kit will probably have a big honkin' spring already installed on the shaft for the big diaphragm too.

Did you tell them to hurry because you're racing with Mother Nature?

Gary says ice in is next Sunday
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2019 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Did you tell them to hurry because you're racing with Mother Nature?

Then and Now got the correct kit out. Yes, they know the hard water is coming!

There's the pulsation gasket and yes, the big spring.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2019 at 9:38pm
Hate to keep asking silly questions Pete but it looks like they're making your life difficult having to assemble the big spring and upper seal onto the shaft of the diaphragm.

Maybe a 64 Carter pump is different from one from the late 70's as far as the diaphragm, but the later ones come with the spring and upper seal already assembled onto the shaft and no way to take it off or replace it It looks like yours must get assembled and have a removable retainer of some kind at the top

Here's a picture of one for a 70's pump that comes as a unit

Probably just a change/improvement over the years, but I thought I'd ask   

PS Your workbench looks a lot better than mine
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2019 at 9:30am

Hate to keep asking silly questions Pete but it looks like they're making your life difficult having to assemble the big spring and upper seal onto the shaft of the diaphragm.

Maybe a 64 Carter pump is different from one from the late 70's as far as the diaphragm, but the later ones come with the spring and upper seal already assembled onto the shaft and no way to take it off or replace it It looks like yours must get assembled and have a removable retainer of some kind at the top

Ken,
Yes, the diaphragm assembly from them comes unassembled. There's even a note in the instructions that came with this kit regarding the assembly. Then and Now makes up the assembly with a different diaphragm rod seal that they say is an improvement over the original AC/Carter design. The assembly is stacked, compressed into the pump body and then retained with the pump arm. With only two hands, a vice and C clamps are needed. The only other minor hurtle with this pump is the removal of the arm pivot pin since it's in a blind hole. A small hole is needed to be drilled on the blind side so a punch can drive the pin out. Then after reassembly, some good old JB weld is used to plug the drilled hole.

Sorry but no pictures of the rebuild. As Gary has mentioned, my Instamatic is at Photomat getting the file developed. .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2019 at 3:16pm
You can usually get the pivot pin out with a pair of needle nose type pliers once the actuating arm spring is out of the way like in the picture below. You slide the pin sideways and out the hole.

Unless, the pin has been in there for longer than most people on the site have been alive

Or unless your arm is different and not a stamping that allows access with the pliers

I've had to drill the same hole for a stubborn 1 or 2 over the years

That's a SBC actuating arm in the picture, but the Ford comes out the same way.

PS I got me one of them magic cameras that you can talk to people on, you should try one Pete .
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2019 at 9:21am

You can usually get the pivot pin out with a pair of needle nose type pliers once the actuating arm spring is out of the way like in the picture below. You slide the pin sideways and out the hole.

I tried the needle nose but with the shape of the arm on this pump it didn't work. The Then and Now instructions actually mention drilling the hole.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic