Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

electronic module ID

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: electronic module ID
    Posted: September-05-2019 at 10:26pm
I bought a Prestolite marine distributor at a garage sale recently. It has an electronic ignition module in it, but I don't know who makes it.
I took a picture of it and I'm hoping somebody can identify it for me
Thanks in advance
bamajeeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bamajeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2019 at 10:37pm
Hot-spark
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2019 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by bamajeeps bamajeeps wrote:

Hot-spark

Hot Spark

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2019 at 10:54pm
Thanks that was fast Are these a good unit? dependable?
After reading the website info, I think I like that it uses the original points plate
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2019 at 8:55am
I've got a friend with one in his boat.

Installation was easy, the unit slips over the points mounting post and screws down to the mounting hole that was for the condenser.

We cleaned the plate and put some thermal paste where it mounted.

It works good, it was cheap and it's lasted a long time now without issues.

Like a Pertronix Ignitor, (the original Ignitor with the black module) if you leave the key in the Run position for very long with the engine not running, you have a good chance of burning up the module.

If it goes up in smoke, it's easy to put the points back in, since the plate is the original plate for the points (I said that just to keep some guy named Pete happy)   
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2019 at 8:12pm
Thanks for the info, I think I'll put it to use in a project.
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2020 at 2:30pm
Can anybody tell me where I could get advance springs and the funny little clip or spring that holds the points cam on the shaft of this prestolit dsitributor

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2020 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Cyclone Cyclone wrote:

Can anybody tell me where I could get advance springs and the funny little clip or spring that holds the points cam on the shaft of this prestolit dsitributor

Cyclone

Those advance springs and the goofy little clip are next .to impossible to find

Here's a link to a thread with info on a backyard hack that works for the small spring in either a clipdown cap distributor or a screwdown like yours in the earlier picture.

If the big spring is bad, you're on your own

link

As far as the little clip, I've used an O ring in place of the clip. It's a bit tough to install but it does the same job as the clip. It may be tough but it's still easier than the clip was to install.

If you have to remove the O ring to get at the weights and springs under the advance plate at some time, you pick it out with a little dental pick type tool and replace it with a new one if it's damaged.

The O ring is the same O ring that fits a Holley fuel transfer tube between the 2 bowls.

It's an 010 O ring (USA size)

We'll put this one firmly in the backyard hack category too, but it keeps ya runnin'   

I found another O ring that goes on easier and works well but I'll have to see if I can dig up it's number

I could take a picture or 2 or give a little more info on the installation if needed.
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2020 at 5:03pm
Thanks Ken your fixes or hacks made my distributor work good again. The o ring is pretty clever and wasn't too bad to get in the groove that the clip went in
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic