Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ENGINE CUTS OUT

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DAC 207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAC 207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ENGINE CUTS OUT
    Posted: August-25-2019 at 11:57am
Good morning,
I am the new owner of a 1998 Sport Nautique with a GT40 351w. We went out to ski and the motor will start and run for about 3 seconds then stop. For the 3 seconds it runs fine then quits. I am unsure of the maintenance record for this boat but I do not think the prior owner was hot on preventative maintenance. I would love a push in the right direction to find the problem.

Thanks,

Doug
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2019 at 12:36pm
You could start with a search here. Correct Craft Fan gt40 trouble shooting. LP pumps are problematic.
Or you could start by checking your anti siphon valve it is where the fuel line of the boat connects at the tank. They have a check valve inside that can get clogged.
Then you can check the filter and see if there is any junk in the FCC or even fuel in there. LP pump transfers fuel from the tank to the high pressure pump in the FCC and have had issues. Most just replace but at 200+ for a genuine PCM one or approx 80 from a Carter vendor (P 4389) you can pull yours apart to check it-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DAC 207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAC 207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2019 at 6:21pm
I will be taking down the FCC tomorrow. With the 2 second consistent shut down period it my be a lack of PIP shutting down the fuel pumps.

Doug
DAC 207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAC 207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2019 at 10:23am
On the agenda for today is to break the fuel like to verify output from the low pressure pump and if that is good open the FCC.

Thanks Doug
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2019 at 10:19pm
Just put a pressure gauge on it that will tell you if your getting fuel.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2019 at 8:33am
Be prepared for a struggle with the FCC removal. Mine was. 2 person job to ensure the mounting bracket was not damaged while unscrewing the canister
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
DAC 207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAC 207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2019 at 11:26am
Thank you for the insight. The canister came off with a 20 inch pipe wrench and steady pressure.
Wtrskior View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wtrskior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2019 at 7:28pm
Rule out the safety lanyard/kill switch before doing anything else imo. They are prone to failure and power the fuel pump.
2001 Ski Nautique CB w/ GT40
DAC 207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAC 207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2019 at 5:32pm
It was the high pressure fuel pump. Cycled the kill switch to prime the system after putting all of the fuel system back together. Twisted the key and it made such a beautiful sound.

Thank you for all of your insight

Doug
DAC 207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAC 207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 11:31am
The boat ran well for another day then stopped again, same symptoms. It would run for two seconds then stop. Reading back through the post the kill switch was mentions as being a trouble spot. My assumption was that the hill switch would be an on or off function not a failure that would allow the engine to fire up then quit. Evidently not the case. bypassing the switch made the problem go away. With luck we will be skiing for another month before it gets too cold.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 6:11pm
Glad you have it fixed.
Does anyone actually use the Kill switch as intended?
I will be honest, I have never used mine and frequently think of taking it out due to known failures it may cause.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Glad you have it fixed.
Does anyone actually use the Kill switch as intended?
I will be honest, I have never used mine and frequently think of taking it out due to known failures it may cause.

Quit thinking, just do it
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 7:03pm
Sounds like a plan since it has not been used properly ever. Why leave it to a future failure?

Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic