NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cracks in Gel Coat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cracks in Gel Coat
    Posted: August-20-2019 at 12:28pm
Did a search and couldn't find info I need.
Any suggestions on away to repair these spider cracks. I tried mixing some epoxy and adding a white pigment but can't figure out how to make it thicken like a putty; when applies to side it just runs out.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2019 at 12:44pm
Cabosil should be good to thicken up the resin.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2019 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

Cabosil should be good to thicken up the resin.

Maybe if you are looking to paint over the repair when done - Otherwise-

To repair spider cracks you would want to order some gel repair paste from somewhere like spectrum - and to have a chance of it working you would need to increase the size of the crack to give it some width and to expose the bottom of the crack. Then you would fill in the grooves with the paste, sand, polish, and hope the color match was good.   If the cracks are deeper than just the gel you would likely need to remove gel over the entire effective area and get a layer of glass layed down before putting down new gel or risk that they show back up in the newly repaired area.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2019 at 2:38pm
Well I didn't want to paint and I did open up the cracks , but color is way off. This is the original gel coat from 79 that was crudely painted over.
Maybe paint later...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2019 at 3:26pm
Yea like Joe says. No epoxy you need gel. It can be tinted to get the color you need. But getting the color correct is harder than the actual job. Do the tinting first the hardener when it comes time to add does not affect the color. Gel is naturally on the thick side but if used on a vertical surface will run. You can put a piece of Saran Wrap, wax paper or even masking tape over it to hold it in place, when the gel sets up they will not stick
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2019 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Yea like Joe says. No epoxy you need gel. It can be tinted to get the color you need. But getting the color correct is harder than the actual job. Do the tinting first the hardener when it comes time to add does not affect the color. Gel is naturally on the thick side but if used on a vertical surface will run. You can put a piece of Saran Wrap, wax paper or even masking tape over it to hold it in place, when the gel sets up they will not stick

Can I mix up small batches are have to do all at once?
Did you say add tint to harder or resin first??
Thanks
JT
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2019 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Gel is naturally on the thick side but if used on a vertical surface will run.

Gary, this has been my experience with gel resin, have you tried the gel paste that they sell for patches and had similar results? I have ordered but never actually applied the repair paste, the manufacturers claim that it will basically stay put, but I have wondered . ( but not enough to repair the boat that I bought the paste for apparently)
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2019 at 4:36pm
My top looks like a big spider web especially down the sides. What is the gel paste and where might I find it?
Thanks
JT
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2019 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

My top looks like a big spider web especially down the sides. What is the gel paste and where might I find it?
Thanks
JT

Spectrum
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2019 at 5:01pm
Yea Joe I used the Spectrum gel on the '95 when I had the lift fail when I first got the boat. Color was off on the dark side and it was way thicker since they put something in it. I actually thought it was a little harder to work with because it did not flow as nice as plain old gel. But it did stay in place better. I really think that like alot of of things in life it's just what your used to. It did the job,and with 2 oz didn't have a qt sitting around going bad.
JT Take your gel mix the tints into it to get the color you want. I would mix mine dab it onto the boat then have the Mrs look at it to check the match. She has a much better eye than mine. Color matching is an art. Then when your ready to do the job just mix in the hardener. What I meant in the above is that when you do add the hardener it will not affect ie change,the color of the gel you already mixed.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2019 at 10:49pm
Just curious— do you apply the gel with a spatula, brush or roller?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2019 at 11:32pm
Not real critical when your repairing cracks or chips Pete. Here was my chine repair. It was just blobbed on with the screwdriver I mixed it with.

Before-

Applying,notice tape-

taped up and let cured, tape removed-

Sanded but not yet polished-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2019 at 11:44pm
Thanks, Gary. Not planning on doing it myself but curiously I want to know this.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2019 at 11:47pm
Big area it's best to spray,easier to blend in like paint

Hole after removal of morse control

glass repair

gel coat
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2019 at 11:54pm
Will it fill these cracks?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2019 at 12:17am
Is the whole top of the gunnel like that or is it just like in a 12" area?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2019 at 4:32pm
Mostly down both sides and rear.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2019 at 10:17pm
Decided to use gel coat to fill in cracks then most likely will paint later.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic