NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water pump issue - on hose

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2019 at 7:46am
Mark,
Interesting test and thanks for doing it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2019 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

It is very easy to install the raw water pump upside-down (backward). That would be my first guess. The plagiarized picture below can help:

JQ

After clearing up all the confusion and testing.....are the vanes in the 454 pump oriented correctly in the above picture? In my small mind this picture makes sense as to how the vanes would pull and push water. In the other two pictures the vanes seem to be oriented (flipping water) opposite of the 454 pump. Just a bit curious as to why the vanes would work one way and not the other.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2019 at 12:20pm
Bill

The vanes on the 454 drawing are right for a Reverse Rotation 454. If you rotate the 454 drawing 90 degrees so the cam screw is in the same spot as the 351 RR picture it might be more obvious

If you look at the Reverse Rotation 351 drawing they're the same except the inlet and outlet ports are oriented 90 degrees different.

The easiest way to visualize it is that the water always takes the long way around the pump from the suction to the discharge.

That's why in MrMcD's case the pump didn't work. The way it was hooked up the water took the short way around and you don't get any buildup of flow or pressure that way.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2019 at 12:33pm
I can't remember if the video in the link was just posted here on CCF but it's pretty good

link
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2019 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I can't remember if the video in the link was just posted here on CCF but it's pretty good

link

Cool video.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2019 at 1:16pm
Thanks Ken! that is a cool video as well.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2019 at 3:28pm
That is a great Video, clearly shows how these work.

I noticed they use soapy water as the lubricant and fluid. I always use a little dish soap on the impeller to lubricate it as I take it apart and to install.   It makes the impeller slip into place easy and you don't have to fight it. Once you run water through the finished pump the dish soap washes away with no leftover damage.
Grease or oil can help deteriorate rubber so I avoid that on the impeller.
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 10:34pm
I change my impeller every year..and my temps are always 130F-140F depending on skiers, and weight I am pulling. I don't think I've ever hit 160F.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
Crmaverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 3:47pm
I have a dumb question, I just replaced my first impeller, there's no way to install an impeller backwards right?

Looks like it can go in either way, ran on the hose have good water out the exhaust noticed a little steam after warmed up.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 4:15pm
You can install it with the vanes facing the wrong way but they won't stay that way for long.

As soon as you crank the engine over, being flexible they'll orient themselves the right way
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic