NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damaged 1974 Mustang 17

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 9:36pm
Yes, the prop end was cut 1" bringing the length down to 5" as mentioned. I pressed the cutlass in after the cut. I used a traditional 4" long brass/rubber cutlass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Joe Calcagno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 9:40pm
Great advice. I'll probably do the same as soon as I get tired of looking for a 6A.
Thank you again,
Joe
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 10:03pm
Having the prop shaft look straight is not the same as being straight.
To check you mount the shaft in V blocks and rotate it while checking with a dial indicator to verify straight. Pete can give you exact numbers but I think it has to be within .003 of straight to avoid issues.
Your eye will not see a shaft that has a .015 bend but the V blocks and a dial indiator will find it.
I have a thin cut off blade for my 4" angle grinder. It makes short work cutting through things like the strut you may need to modify. I have cut thick steel with it so a brass strut should be no problem.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 10:07pm
Thank you, "V" blocks it is.
I'll set it up and measure the runout.
Thanks again,
Joe
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 10:53pm
I may have a 6a... give me a few days and I’ll try to put my hands on it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 11:01pm
That sounds interesting. I'm told that my strut is damaged beyond repair, so I will need another.
Let me know as soon as you can.
Thanks,
Joe
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Pete can give you exact numbers but I think it has to be within .003 of straight to avoid issues..

Joe,
Mark is correct with the .003". But, besides the middle of the shaft, get a reading aft of the strut. It's a common place for shafts to bend. Set the shaft in the V blocks one up around the coupling and the other were the cutlass runs. Then dial the aft end of the taper looking for the max of .003.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2019 at 1:26am
Great idea, I'll do it.
Thanks,
Joe
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 9:15pm
Joe - was browsing Bring a Trailer today and came across your name. This '62 looks beautiful. Hope you're making good progress with the boat

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-chevrolet-corvette-29/
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic