NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1998 GT-40 Starter not engaging

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2023 at 8:26am
OK...so I read back though all the threads here I could find relating to this subject.  I decided to begin at the start, I cleaned/sanded every connection through the starting electrical system.

And...

...it started right up.

Damn!  Wise men speaketh here, but you have to actually do what they suggest for it to work.  Again for the 10th or so time, thanks to the forum posters.  
CYS
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2023 at 11:53am
Now that all those connections are clean and working you might wipe a thin film of dielectric grease on the connections to help avoid future corrosion.

On my 1995 Nautique with only 225 hours my starter began acting up.   After cleaning all the connections it was still acting up so I went to pull the starter out for repair.   The Starter bolts were loose?  This boat only had around 200 total hours on it so it must have been loose from the factory.   Tightened the starter bolts and it worked perfectly again.   The bolts ground the starter to the engine.
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2023 at 6:55pm
Thanks MrMcD.  Funny, again this afternoon the boat would not start.  So we messed around in the battery box and poked the starter...and it started.  Then later we got the standard click sound but no engine turnover and then later when we turned the key we got no response or sound at all.

The ole intermittent start or not thing, same thing that happened a few years ago.  I have replaced the assist solonoid, starter, and key switch about 3 years ago. I have not replaced the solonoid on top of the starter.  
CYS
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2023 at 7:57pm
As part of all the wiring connection checks and cleaning did you unplug the 8 connector plug at the back of the engine to check and clean all those connections?

Power from the key goes through there to get to the assist solenoid and sometimes those connectors can be pretty ugly and corroded

It goes through pin 3 in the diagram below. Yellow/red wire that goes to the Neutral Safety Switch, then to the solenoid

Also verify that the assist solenoid is bolted tightly to the bracket with a clean connection so it's  making a good ground path for the coil in the solenoid when the key is turned. Also verify the bracket to engine bolting is clean and tight

rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2023 at 6:30am
Thanks KENO.  Today I'll take my time and do all of what you wrote and follow the diagram.   
CYS
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2023 at 10:22am
CYS
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2023 at 10:26am
Got up at 5:30 working at 6 a.m. and at 10:00 she started.  

KENO, the 8 connector plug?  Can you describe it a tad more as to size, appearance, location?  I think it is the connector that I have that says TEST on it...but mine has less than 8 wires and the colors of the wires do not match the above diagram.

Thanks again, I've enjoyed getting to know more about the boat through the years.  The issue is the more you learn the more you realize how little you know!  
CYS
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2023 at 10:39am
It's pretty much right in the middle of the picture below. It shows the engine side plug that plugs into the wiring harness coming up from the bilge.

Each side is about 1 1/2 inches or so and it's right behind the starboard valve cover. Not far from the test connector Wink

rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2023 at 9:10pm
Great.  Got it.  
CYS
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2023 at 7:25am
I am thinking of others (I think) who may be surfing around reading this thread.  I am going to finish up by stating I read and re-read all the suggestions, particularly those by the more active and knowledgable helpers.  The last thing I have done with my 1998 Sport Nautique that still has less than 350 hours on it is to literally take lose every single electrical wire-to-terminal and sand or grind it a tad so that the metals are brightly clean.

For the first time since I acquired this boat it stats each time fast.  I bought the boat from a major stock car race team's crew chief who had not used it much because both his son's had their own wakeboard boats on Lake Norman, NC.  I live on High Rock Lake nearby.  The boat is in pristine condition...but for years it just would not start regularly.

I have owned two other 1998-99 GT-40's and both were incredibly reliable...but this one wasn't.  In case you are wondering the other boats?  I didn't sell them: one was sunk by a friend, the other burned up completely by my next door neighbor.

Anyway, the boat is a pleasure now.  Clean those connections first and foremost.  Then continue to follow the experts who post.  If you follow the help provided?  You'll have success.  Warning though: it may take time and methodical steps!  

CYS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic