NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 2:19pm
Not so much the gloss as I want it smooth and it isn't. I really think that I didn't put enough paint on roller.
Oh well I talked to my boat builder friend (and as I thought), said wait till fully cured, wet sand and put on another coat; then cure, wet sand and buff.
Of coarse due to raining here for the next week or so it will be fully cured
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

Not so much the gloss as I want it smooth and it isn't. I really think that I didn't put enough paint on roller.

John,
Did you tip ? Doesn't sound like you did. What do the instructions or their tech say about the wet film thickness recommended? Do you have anything to check the wet filf thickness? Here's the gauge:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 3:17pm
I see hope in the bottom of the paint tray, need more paint.

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

John,
Did you tip ?
Yes Sir
Doesn't sound like you did. What do the instructions or their tech say about the wet film thickness recommended? ??
Didn't ask
Do you have anything to check the wet filf thickness?
Nope
Here's the gauge:
Thanks

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 7:17pm
John,
Just in case you haven't seen the tech sheet for the top side, here it is It may help especially the data on spraying. Note for reduction for conventional spray you use Zylene. Don't use mineral spirts since it's not "fast" enough.

Regarding how heavy the coating is, there's also a warning on the can label of not exceeding 4 mils wet. I suspect over the 4 mils, you get solvent entrapment. That's when the surface skins over enough so the solvent in the paint can't evaporate.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2020 at 1:48pm
Been looking over my paint job and still don't understand how I got "brush strokes" when I used a foam applicator.
It will be another week or so before I can do any painting so let me ask.
What is better in the roll and tip method foam or reg. brush??
Is there a certain kind of roller, I used what I thought was a premium foam roller??
If I remember when I applied the paint the roller didn't seem to be holding alot of paint. In all the videos I watched theirs seemed to put more paint on and when you tip it actually smooths out.
I don't want to spray but if that is what it takes so be it, so hope y'all can give me some help if you have done this before.
Thanks
JT
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2020 at 3:17pm
John
I feel the video (link I posted) from Jamestown ,may have been deceiving. The guy in the video appears to be tipping rather aggressively and that's not how it's done. Tipping as the name implies is a very gentle movement across the top of the paint film just to knock off the stipple from the roller however, you do need enough paint film to do this. Once tipped off, the paint should self level. Did you reduce the paint any and how much? Did you have any problems maintaining a wet edge? . .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2020 at 3:41pm
No was told to use straight from can if rolling. Not sure what you mean by wet edge.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2020 at 4:20pm
John,
From Rustoleum data sheet I linked above:

". For brush or roller application, apply full strength. In hot weather, thin with 5% mineral spirits to maintain a wet edge. For best results on large, smooth surfaces, apply using a short nap or foam roller cover followed immediately by leveling off with the tip of a brush."

What was the temp when you were painting? Were you out of the sun?

Maintaining a wet edge is always applying paint from the area that's still wet. If you apply paint into an area that's partially dry, you will get lap, roller and brush marks.

I think that "tech" you've been talking to needs to come over to your house and show you how it's done!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2020 at 11:23am
Couple shots after Sprayed 2nd coat. Was gonna put another but Rusto peeps said as I already had a coat of primer and 1 soso rolled paint coat , might should wait to get all fully cured.
Looks good to me and a 100% better than before

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 8:44pm
Update: Buffed out rear and new teak oil:

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 8:46pm
Couple requests as to where to find, both are for the 79.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
  Share Topic