Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mooring Gear

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mooring Gear
    Posted: April-20-2019 at 9:33am
I keep my 1997 Ski Nautique on a mooring and need to replace the painter. The local boat shop recommends the shackle in the photo. Though mine has worked for 10+ years, it seems undersized, particularly where it swivels. And, the gating mechanism frustrates the kids when they put the boat on the mooring. Is the shackle adequate and is there an easier shackle available? So I can search the internet, what is this shackle called?

Jim
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2019 at 10:21am
I would not use a snap hook like that for anything but a dingy or canoe.

This is what we use:

Hamilton Marine in Maine makes these up. You just have to give them the specs. They'll last 10-20 years.
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2019 at 5:30pm
that snap on the end of the rope is one we use for horse tie outs on side of the trailer or cross ties NOT for boats C'MON MAN! its rated at 250 or 500 at most! gusty wind good bye!
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2019 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

that snap on the end of the rope is one we use for horse tie outs on side of the trailer or cross ties NOT for boats C'MON MAN! its rated at 250 or 500 at most! gusty wind good bye!

Ross,
Yup, now I'm pretty convinced you are smoking something!      The smallest Wichard snap hook is rated at 880 lbs MWL with a breaking strength of 1100 lbs.. The larger ones go all the way over a MWL of 3000 lbs. Wichard snap hooks

Great recommendation Bruce.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic