NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Painting engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2019 at 12:05pm
Back to the 83. Does anyone know how to remove the plating off my speedometers. They are all pitted and look like crap, want to paint or powder coat.
I saw a post somewhere that someone did it but can't find.
Any suggestions.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2019 at 12:45pm
Plating can be removed abrasively but it's tricky since the chrome is hard and the zinc die casting under it is soft so the danger is removing too much soft zinc. The best way is to have the chrome plater "reverse chrome". by switching the polarity in the plating bath.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2019 at 2:03pm
i painted black.
400 grit , zinc chromate primer and top coat.   It is not worth the expense to try and have someone remove the chrome nor is it worth the expense of powder coat.   
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2019 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

i painted black.
400 grit , zinc chromate primer and top coat.   It is not worth the expense to try and have someone remove the chrome nor is it worth the expense of powder coat.   

Thanks, I started grinding away , not too bad so far. My neighbor has a powder coating setup, so might let him give it a try-its free.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
  Share Topic