NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Southwind 20 Rudder pad question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Southwind 20 Rudder pad question
    Posted: February-07-2019 at 8:39pm
I have a 1975 Southwind 20 sitting on a trailer. I see a bit of water around the rudder shaft pad between the inside of the hull and the brass pad. Is there a wooden pad between the fiberglass hull and the inside fiberglass?    I think there is and if so, has anyone replaced the wood pad? I think I should cut the inside glass and replace the wood.   Any knowledge on the composition of this and how it should be done?    

Regards,

Gary Huber
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2019 at 9:08pm
Gary,
The rudder port area is typically reinforced with plywood. You may be able to see an outline of it in the bilge. Pull the rudder port and take a close look at the layup.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2019 at 1:31am
Thank you, yes I can see the out line.   I'll drop the rudder and see if the plywood is punk.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2019 at 7:31am
Gary

You might want to read the link below about somebody who is dealing with the same issue right now

Maybe your problems aren't as bad as his, but you'll end up doing the same repair

link
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2019 at 9:50am
Gary,
Post some pictures when you get farther into the project. How do your stringers look?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
beardo73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardo73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2019 at 2:17pm
Welcome to my current world! I will hopefully have some more pictures of my repair process this weekend. Have a full day scheduled with the boat to get some work done on her.

Good luck!
1988 Correct Craft Martinique B/R, PCM 454, ~577 HRS.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2019 at 4:20pm
Thank you all for your posts. I dropped the rudder along with the rudder port today. Actually the wood was pretty good. I can with a big push get the tip of a screw driver in about 1/4 inch, but I could do that to new wood.   I did order some get rot just in case.   I spoke to Correct Craft support to find out what bedding caulk was used. I didn't want to use something that would not release if I had to get it out again. Great support by the way. Steve told me it is Sikaflex-291 White Polyurethane Adhesive.   Ordered that also through Amazon. I figured if it lasted 45 years it should be good.

Thanks again,

Gary
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2019 at 4:23pm
Oh Pete, The stringers look fine. I will take some pictures and post them when the material comes in.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2019 at 4:43pm
gary,
The 291 is a great choice and comparable to 3M 4200. Most here would use the 4200 since it's more common and stocked at more places.

When the Git Rot comes in, you may want to drill some small holes around the rudder port just through the bilge glass and into the wood slightly. Then inject the Git Rot into the holes. A glue injector (syringe) works great. Drilling the holes will even give you and idea if there's moisture in the wood backing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2019 at 1:27pm
Pete, that is a good idea.   I have used Get Rot before when noticed the lag bolts for my engine mounts were loose and could not be tightened.   I took them out and filled the area with Get Rot. I also got a metal plate 3 X 12 X 3/8 and lagged it to the stringers. I drilled and taped holes in the plates and used machine screws for the motor mounts.   That was done a number or years ago and all is still well.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2019 at 2:21pm

Some pictures of the project and a few more of some detailing
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic