Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FAQ on winterizing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FAQ on winterizing
    Posted: November-05-2018 at 5:30pm
Winterized my boat today. As I was preparing to do this, I checked the faq page here, and the winterizing one appears to be a broken link.

I don't have the expertise, but would someone who feels confident in their process write up a new winterization faq? It's a pretty essential info bit.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2018 at 7:34pm
Good catch. Looks like that ski club took down their link and/or web site.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2018 at 7:58pm
I don't know what the link said but since there are a bunch of different ways to winterize your boat taking into account things like what you have for an engine and cooling system, where you live and lowest temperatures you could see, a generic winterizing process will probably get someone in trouble.

Someone unsure of the process can easily search here on CCF and find plenty of disagreement along with plenty of discussion on what to do and then decide what's best for them. It's been covered countless times and will be covered countless more times.

If after that they need help, then starting a thread to get their questions answered would be a good course of action.

It's kinda like an old Paul Simon (without Garfunkel) song "50 ways to leave your lover" only in this case there must be 50 ways to winterize your boat

And......some overkill in the process helps you sleep on those cold nights instead of thinking about cracking metal and big repair bills.

sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2018 at 8:58am
I thought it was interesting that some guys just drain all the previously mentioned areas and don't refill with RV antifreeze.Never heard that one!
I started the process yesterday by draining the block and exhaust manifolds.Learned a couple things after reading several threads on this subject on CCF. Thanks! Draining the transmission was new,so l picked up on that.
First time I've done this boat.Its a 89 ski nautique

Any advise and tips y'all can give I would appreciate
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2018 at 11:02am
Don,
Sounds like you are ready for winter with the winterizing. When you mention draining the transmission, hopefully you mean the trans cooler and not the trans itself. If you've never drained the cooler before, you've been lucky not having it burst. However, depending on the exact routing of the suction from the thru hull to the cooler, some do drain pretty well just by gravity.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2018 at 6:37am
Pete,
Oops! Yes,just draining the water,not the tranny fluid.
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2018 at 9:38pm
*Update and screw up!
Last weekend I had all intentions of running some RV antifreeze thru the engine.Hooked up a garden hose to the exit side of the filter.Started the engine and turned on the water hose.She got warm,around (160-170) degrees.Turned the hose off,cut the engine,and proceeded to disconnect the hose.I then stuck the hose from the engine into a bucket of antifreeze.But all I got was air bubbling back into the bucket!? I have done this with a previous boat and it always sucked all the antifreeze into the engine.
So what did l do wrong
1989 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2018 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by sanoman sanoman wrote:

So what did l do wrong

You didn't follow the manual that tells you to drain everything and pour in the antifreeze.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2018 at 9:49pm
Maybe pump is on upside down.     Did you R & R it recently?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2018 at 8:48am
Don,
Now I'm confused. First you mentioned you drained.

I started the process yesterday by draining the block and exhaust manifolds.

Then you said you pumped.

.Started the engine and turned on the water hose.She got warm,around (160-170) degrees.Turned the hose off,cut the engine,and proceeded to disconnect the hose.I then stuck the hose from the engine into a bucket of antifreeze

What's up?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2018 at 10:54am
Looks to me like you may have burnt up the impeller. You stated that you started the engine THEN turned on the water. Next thing was you then shut the water off and THEN killed the engine. Depending on how much time was spent on turning the water on and then turning it off, all while the engine was running was ample time to burn up the impeller. That would explain the RWP not pulling anti freeze into the engine. Only takes seconds to fry an impeller. I would suggest an inspection of the RWP
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2018 at 11:27am
Bubbles = Bacerds
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 8:18am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Don,
Now I'm confused. First you mentioned you drained.

I started the process yesterday by draining the block and exhaust manifolds.

Then you said you pumped.
Drained the block and mani's because we had a couple 22 degree overnight temps.A few days later I thought it would be an easy job to warm the engine and then run a bucket of antifreeze through it.Had a MasterCraft for a number of years and I always did it that way p brained.

.Started the engine and turned on the water hose.She got warm,around (160-170) degrees.Turned the hose off,cut the engine,and proceeded to disconnect the hose.I then stuck the hose from the engine into a bucket of antifreeze

What's up?

Nothing at this point but off work the rest of the week..Plan on working on today.
1989 Ski Nautique
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Looks to me like you may have burnt up the impeller. You stated that you started the engine THEN turned on the water. Next thing was you then shut the water off and THEN killed the engine. Depending on how much time was spent on turning the water on and then turning it off, all while the engine was running was ample time to burn up the impeller. That would explain the RWP not pulling anti freeze into the engine. Only takes seconds to fry an impeller. I would suggest an inspection of the RWP

Just a few seconds.But good place for me to start..

Really appreciate you guys trying to help out!
1989 Ski Nautique
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 9:20am
Stay away from the alcohol based RV antifreeze it is for water tanks not engines.
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 9:14pm
Soooo,I looked up the faq here on CCF on winterizing my boat.Should have read this before ever starting (a word to the wise!).Would have been done sooner.

Thanks to all that tried to help.
1989 Ski Nautique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2018 at 3:58pm
We really do need a new source for the proper way to winterize link in our FAQ. Any suggestions, guys?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2018 at 8:11pm
http://correctcraftfan.com/Downloads/PCM%20Owners%20Manual_New.pdf

Page 37
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2018 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

http://correctcraftfan.com/Downloads/PCM%20Owners%20Manual_New.pdf

Page 37

In my estimation, the manual version is probably just one version, and people have modified and expanded on this over the years.

I followed the manual to a T this year, and for example I never heard anyone say you should remove and store the impeller during layup (not just inspect, but actually store off the boat). And loosen up all the belts. So I did that, but does anyone generally recommend to do that?
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2018 at 8:39pm
Technically they recommend you replace the impeller yearly anyway so maybe that's why they don't bother.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2018 at 9:07pm
Definitely loosen the belts.

Yes I stored impeller in plastic bag & reused it several seasons.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic