NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Proactive maintenance questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proactive maintenance questions
    Posted: August-31-2018 at 1:04pm
Hi everyone, Next Spring my 1994 Ski Nautique will turn 25 years old, and has almost exactly 1000 hours (5.8 Pro Boss). I'm thinking about doing a couple things to hopefully keep it running for many years to come. Keep in mind that I am not the type of person to run anything until it breaks before fixing. I'm proactive on all my maintenance, no matter what it is. And keeping this boat running is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a different one. I also don't mind spending a little money here and there on the boat. If I wanted to save money, I never would have bought it.

The main thing I'm trying to decide is whether or not I should do something with the carburetor. If I do anything with it, I will have to take it to someone for that help. Sorry, no matter how easy you tell me it is to do myself, I know I will only mess it up. I figure if I take it in, there are a few other things I'd have them do while it's there. I don't believe there are any issues with the carb as of now. Two pumps, a little throttle as the key is turned, and it fires up every time. I replaced the Protec last summer with a DUI distributor, and no longer have the plastic cover over the engine. This might have been happening all along, but I notice almost an "ooze" of fuel that will show up under the carb on top of the engine. Here are the things I was thinking about. Opinions/advice are more thank welcome.

1. Replace/rebuild carb? If replace - QFT or Holley, and why one or the other?
2. New fuel lines?
3. New hoses?
4. New steering/throttle/shift cables? Steering cable has about 500 hours on it.
5. Anything else?

Riser gaskets, fuel pump, fuel filter assembly, and exhaust hose (from riders to muffler) have been replaced. All other routine stuff has been done. Sorry for long post.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2018 at 8:32pm
Fuel lines, filters, hoses would be good preventative measures , but I would wait on the other stuff as they will give you plenty of warning before full failure.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2018 at 9:51pm
I agree with Chris. When you have a carb that is functioning properly there is absolutely no reason to mess with it, it's not a sudden failure item. As for the ooze of fuel, see if you can find a weeping carb gasket, that might be the only reason I could see for doing anything with it.

If your steering is smooth and easy, no reason to replace the cable. Same with shift cable.

How about plug wires, did you change them when you replaced the protec? If they are old that would be a possible item to look at.

Things definitely wear out on these boats, but generally you have some warning, in my experience like a whole season of warning, so if you address them as they BEGIN to be a problem you'll rarely be off the water.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2018 at 10:21am
With engine idling, I would take a paper towel & wipe around carb to see which joint is wet.

Could just be loose screws.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2018 at 10:45am
Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate it! Yes, there are new plugs and wires since the DUI was installed. The carb sounds like it can wait. And I'll try looking at it a little closer to see if I can isolate the ooze. I just didn't know if there was a certain number of years or hours before you needed to deal with it. That doesn't seem to be the case.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2018 at 10:57am
Mechanics Creed!

1: If it ain't broke then don't fix it!
2: If it doesn't fit, force it, if it breaks then it needed replaced anyway!
3. If you force and it won't go in, get a hammer, if it still doesn't fit, then you need to grab a bigger hammer!

All joking aside, I concur with what's been said already.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2018 at 11:59am
I like the creed Morfoot! I think my biggest problem is spending too much time on this website. Ha!! I start thinking "Hey, I have the same boat as that person. What can I do to avoid the issues they're having?" Maybe we should have a sub-forum where people write about how great their boats are running?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2018 at 12:07pm
My   Boat   Is   Running   Great!
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2018 at 12:40pm
I still think having a complete reserve boat ready to go is the best idea. Just need to convince others in my home how wise I am. So far you guys aren't helping with all this talk about how reliable, and trouble free these boats are!!!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2018 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by tjs1295 tjs1295 wrote:

I still think having a complete reserve boat ready to go is the best idea. Just need to convince others in my home how wise I am. So far you guys aren't helping with all this talk about how reliable, and trouble free these boats are!!!

That's why, in an abundance of caution, I have 4 boats!

Tom, it is against CCFan by-laws to be a member for more than a year and not buy a 2nd boat, get with the program.
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2018 at 1:11pm
4 boats......now that is some true wisdom. I'm waaaaaaaaaaay behind.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2018 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Originally posted by tjs1295 tjs1295 wrote:

Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

My   Boat   Is   Running   Great!

That's why, in an abundance of caution, I have 4 boats!

Tom, it is against CCFan by-laws to be a member for more than a year and not buy a 2nd boat, get with the program.

4 boats here and they too run great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2018 at 2:15pm
Well, for what it's worth, I just found out I won't be the owner of a second boat. Was going to look at a 1998 Ski Nautique after work today, but he already had someone lined up to check it out. That guy bought it. So, at least I'm trying. Does that count?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic