NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dry Bilge

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dry Bilge
    Posted: August-20-2018 at 6:50pm
How dry do you all keep your bilges when on the water or stored is standing water in the bilge something I should be actively trying to avoid?

I always seem to have some amount of water sitting in the bilge near the engine, even with the plug out.

96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 7:07pm
Paul,
What you describe is normal. It's a boat in the water!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 7:28pm
After installing a new prop shaft and packing a couple years ago my boat would take on just a minor amount of water after sitting in the lake for 4 days.   After the 4 days I had maybe 4 cups of water in it.   Not gallons, cups.
If you ski a lot or swimmers are getting in and out all that dripping water will also be in your bilge after a trip.
Common leaks are at the prop shaft and at the rudder. Both can be adjusted.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2018 at 10:14am
Thanks guys.

I know where the water is coming from, mostly from my cover having lost it's water resistance. I did try reproof it at the start of the season but I wasn't totally successful. I do want to replace the cover but will wait until the start of next season.

Once I replace the cover I think I'll be able to better manage the amount of water getting in the bilge but with my boat it is difficult to keep things bone dry because once the water gets into the bilge It doesn't really drain well out the plug.
96 Super Sport
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2018 at 5:32am
I am anal about a dry bilge. I keep a wet vac on board for general cleaning and sucking tiny amounts of rain water out of the bilge that the pump can't pick up.

Keeps me happy!

D.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2018 at 12:15am
Originally posted by 2001SAN 2001SAN wrote:

I am anal about a dry bilge. I keep a wet vac on board for general cleaning and sucking tiny amounts of rain water out of the bilge that the pump can't pick up.

Keeps me happy!

D.

What vac do you use? Is it 110v?
96 Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2018 at 8:54am
Google 12 volt wet vac. Lots to pick from.

Here's one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2018 at 4:09am
Its standard UK 240v, but we have shore power at the dock.

D
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic