Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This isn't my first rodeo

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Aaron74separator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 8:36am
OK great we can now put that horse to pasture because I have no Velvet drive.
I do have the numbers 55894 on the Mercury Marine out drive..
I am still poking for a serial # on the outdrive and the engine.
ThAnk you Keno
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 10:26am
I have a '75 I/O,your '74 if it's the original outdrive was designated "MR" by mercruiser-Pictures as Pete and Keno said will help us relay info for your separator Look on your transom behind the lifting ring rod in the engine compartment to check for your hull tag-it will read SEP and a four digit number.
The small brass pipe coming out of your outdrive by the gimbal housing is your raw water feed that supplies water from your outdrive pump to the engine.
We need pictures-good luck
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 11:52am
Here's a link telling how to distinguish different Mercruiser outdrives complete with pictures of the obvious easy to recognize differences

If you click on Pre Alpha for example you'll get pictures and info and if you click on Alpha you'll get pictures and info.

link

Also Pre Alpha, Mercruiser 1 and R are all different names for the same early drive
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 3:31pm
Also, you pump the gear lube into the out-drive from the bottom up, not let it fill from the top down. If you did not fill it this way, you might as well drain it again when you do the impeller. I don't know about gen 1, but my gen 2 impellers are really hardy.
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 8:03pm
Thanks!
I of course, filled from the bottom.
We are from the same area. I'm on Tims Ford Lake in Franklin County.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 8:37pm
A link for pictures...
Soon I will master the local File Manager and pics upload as it is now personal!

Aaron's 1974 Separator
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Aaron74separator Aaron74separator wrote:

A link for pictures...
Soon I will master the local File Manager and pics upload as it is now personal!

Aaron's 1974 Separator

Aaron,
Thanks for the pictures. Number one on your list before you take it out on the lake or even start it in the driveway is to get the automotive air cleaner off and get a USCG spark arrestor on it. You DO NOT what a big BOOM!!!! Did you get it that way? If so, I highly recommend telling the seller for me he is definitely a back yard hack!!

EDIT: You can get rid of that tube too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 2:08am
I got u in the Air cleaner but the tube stays!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 2:16am
OK folks, unless someone strongly objects I am willing to call this a "Pre-Alpha" although I'm not fond of a name that is based on a future occurance. In 1974 the name was not "pre-alpha" because the Alpha was not around yet How can the thing named Alpha or #1 have anything coming before it? It is the Alpha - right?
No, I will name my outdrive the "Separated Drive unit".
Confusion is now solved.
Please amend all part catalogs and literature.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 8:19am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Here's a link telling how to distinguish different Mercruiser outdrives complete with pictures of the obvious easy to recognize differences

If you click on Pre Alpha for example you'll get pictures and info and if you click on Alpha you'll get pictures and info.

link

Also Pre Alpha, Mercruiser 1 and R are all different names for the same early drive

The last sentence in the quote above from yesterday pretty much sums up the various names for the early outdrive.

Once the Alpha showed up, it was easy to call the original Mercruiser 1 or R the Pre Alpha.

You have an IO so the goats are always circling, just waiting to get ya'

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 8:36am
Aaron

It seems to me that Pete in his eagerness to pick on your boat and the previous owner, jumped right on that air filter without noticing a plastic fuel filter or asking what the carburetor hiding under that air cleaner looks like.

I figure there's a pretty good chance it might not be a marine carburetor from what your pictures show..

A good picture or 2 or 3 of the carburetor without the filter would help.

You could take a picture or 2 of the distributor also

By the way, it's a decent looking boat with some non original stuff.

I like it
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 10:17am
Ken, I picked up on the fuel filter first thing but thought "what the heck the guy just bought the boat and has not done anything to update it yet"
It will take time to update to CG approved items. Right now he is proud to show off his new toy as we all have been before. It is our job to help newcomers along and steer them in a safe direction. Not to pee on their parade. I (and others) have no idea who the PO was and won't condemn his ability or lack there of. I don't give a rats @ss if he has a tube or not. Better to have the kids out on the water having fun then to force them into a sport that fits others but may terrify them. I own three bass boat, should I be tossed to the wolves?

I think your boat is cool and has a lot of potential Keep the posts and pics coming. If we can help then don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your new project.    Duane in Indy   
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 10:25am
Great looking boat!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 11:42am
When we first started looking for an old Correct Craft in 2005, I was hoping to find a perfect Barracuda tucked away in someone's barn. After awhile, I realized they don't exist. Then at Lake George in 2008 Mr. Ralph told a story how he had to explain to a disappointed customer that had expected a perfect Correct Craft that no Correct Craft is perfect. Anyone that has met Mr. Ralph knows how that story ended. You've got a really nice boat that needs some work, just like every other one out there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 2:50pm
Well here is something I missed when I bought the boat;
The boat has about 10-15 filled sandbags in the very front. It also has had the gas tank transplanted to a new front end resting spot.
I understand why someone who s new to a boat like this would be afraid of the hole-shot and want that front end down as quickly as possible it is that not what trim is for?
I wa t to ditch the sandbags and also return the fuel tank to its birth home
What say you???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 3:06pm
Some pics of my lower disassembly

Lower Disassembly

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 3:10pm
I found everything in pretty good order. The only thing that stands out to me is that every single nut and bolt was barely even hand tight.
I mean it was loose - very loose.
Not one lock washer was in use either.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 3:56pm
I will look for you on Tims Ford. What side of the lake do you generally boat on?

I keep my other boat, a red and white Stingray, at Sam's Storage and usually launch at the state park. I am waiting for confirmation, but might be out this Saturday with my Ski Nautique to help tow some kids from a Nashville housing project ministry. I bring out the boom and pull them on skis.

My next extended amount of time out there will be Labor Day.

I live in Franklin, so after school starts I tend to boat more at the far end of Percy Priest where we keep the ski club's slalom course. I do hope to get out a few more weekend day, though. Tims Ford is my favorite lake.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 4:01pm
In terms of the sand, I think you need to get it out and run it. Not sure the pitch of that prop, but it may be a dog out of the hole and set up for high speed. Someone added a foil to help it get up on plane. The sand may have been another attempt at this. Maybe they did this to be able to hold plane and wake or kneeboard.

Once you run it, a better solution may be a different foil or some smart tabs, or Bennett SLT-10s.

Water test will help answer some questions.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 4:17pm
I don't know much about outdrives,I've never even been in one. But I think that early ones have power tilt but not power trim.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 4:55pm
your outdrive is a mercruiser 888 and usually a 302 ford! that's how my separator was originally set up. if you don't have the original gas tank I can supply you with correct dimensions, also get rid of the fishing boat seats. lol
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 8:11pm
Aaron,
I agree with the idea of getting it out on the lake (with a spark arrestor on it first! ) without all the extras and see how it performs. Yes, I agree the extra weight in the bow may have been an attempt to keep the bow down at wakeboard speeds. One thing I do know is CC in later years of the Separator was adding fixed trim tabs on the bottom of the transom. With all the weight of the engine in a pretty short hull, I'm sure this was an attempt to get it to plane out faster.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic