NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Setting Timing on '86 Martinique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jblunceford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblunceford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting Timing on '86 Martinique
    Posted: August-09-2018 at 2:00pm
I know this has been asked before, but hoping someone could advise or direct me on the subject.

I have an '86 Martinique with the 351PCM and the clip down distributor (not sure if this is the Prestolite or Mallory Distrib). I recently installed the Prestolite Ignitor II elect ignition module along with a "FlameThrower" high perform coil (I've heard this is a questionable elect ignition, but its what I've got to work with). Also, installed new plug wires as others were original.

Got her running, but didn't have a timing lite to confirm correct timing at the time of install. I now have a timing light on order and want to confirm timing is correct. Here are my questions if anyone can be so gracious to assist:

My owners manual states timing is 6 degrees BTC for a Prestolite distrib, but 10 degrees for a Mallory. I believe the snap down is a Prestolite, but not sure...can anyone confirm?

Also, when locating the #1 cylinder plug wire, can't I simply trace the wire from the front-right cylinder (i.e., closest to the driver seat) up to the distrib housing and clip my timing light to this wire?

Thanks much in advance.

Jeff in Hoover (Birmingham), AL
1986 CC Martinique Bow Rider 351PCM
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 3:42pm
I can’t think of any reason why the initial timing settings would be different on a given engine, other than to account for the total timing spec- assuming the 2 distributors in question have different amount of advance built in.

For a regular 240hp Ford, an initial setting of 10-12 would run best- but you won’t want to end up with more than ~34deg total. I would check both.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblunceford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 3:49pm
I just re-read my PCM manual...on this 1986 351PCM, its recommends 6 degrees....the other column that I was mis-reading/misunderstanding was for the 302PCM (also offered that year I guess) and it stated 10 degrees.

I've read that late 1986 and on 351PCMs recommended 10 degrees, and having that in mind, i mis-understood the manua first time through.

Regardless, thanks for the feedback....Jeff
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 4:15pm
Hint: it doesn’t matter what year the 240hp 351w in question is... the book is tweaking the initial setting to make sure the final is in check... the numbers above will work for any of them. Measure both.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblunceford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 5:10pm
Regarding my other question....can i just trace/find the plug wire up from the #1 cylinder to hook to for the timing light gun, and isn't the #1 cylinder the forward most cylinder closest to the driver seat (forward most right looking toward the bow)?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 5:17pm
#1 cyl is always the furthermost forward cyl. Stbd for a Windsor sounds correct, but confirm. You can connect to the #1 wire anywhere you want.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by jblunceford jblunceford wrote:

Regarding my other question....can i just trace/find the plug wire up from the #1 cylinder to hook to for the timing light gun, and isn't the #1 cylinder the forward most cylinder closest to the driver seat (forward most right looking toward the bow)?

If you didn't mix up the plug wires when you installed the new ones, you should be good to go. If you want to check the firing order then yes the number one is forward and starboard. Trace it up to the distributor and the rotor should be roughly pointing to the cap port where the wire is plugged into when the number one cylinder is TDC compression.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic