Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fuel gauge trouble

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
aquaman766 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquaman766 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel gauge trouble
    Posted: July-09-2018 at 9:49pm
The fuel guage on my 93 Nautique does not work. I have around 11 volts at the guage. I put a screwdriver across the terminals on the sending unit and the guage read full. I get around 110 ohms across those terminals with aprox. a quarter tank of fuel. Does this indicate a bad sending unit?
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 11:47pm
The sending unit is the most likely problem. Also, a loose wire can also cause problems. Get out your multi-meter and check the continuity of the wire from sending unit to the dash gauge.

Worst case, just change both units out. Not that expensive if you do it yourself. Don't go cheap on the sending unit. (the voice of experience here). I like the Moeller Marine Electrical Reed Switch Fuel Sending Unit. You need to measure the depth of your fuel tank and get a sending unit that is 1/2" to 1" shorter than the tank is deep.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 12:20am
I am a WEMO sender man, myself.

We (CCFAN) used to have a discount code with them. 10% off - it's worth asking for it.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 12:45am
I believe that WEMA, Rochester, Moeller are all made by the same people.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 8:35am
Originally posted by aquaman766 aquaman766 wrote:

The fuel guage on my 93 Nautique does not work. I have around 11 volts at the guage.

Ron,
What is the gauge doing or not doing? The 11 volts at the gauge is low. Are other gauges seeing the 11 volts too? Clean up all your connections and the wiring harness plugs. Check the resistance of the sender wire from the gauge to the tank and the ground from the engine to the tank.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
aquaman766 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquaman766 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 3:35pm
Thanks guys.   The 11 volts is what i have at all my gauges. The voltage has been that low since i bought the boat 9 yrs ago. The fuel gauge reads empty all the time. It just started doing this last week. I will check the resistance to ground and gauge later today.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 3:54pm
I agree it's most likely the sender. I had a similar problem, and used this one as a replacement:
https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/fuel-tank-sending-unit-pre-2000-correct-craft/

It's a little flimsier that the other types people recommend here. The one advantage to the flimsiness is that you can maneuver it into the tank without moving the tank. Although, you may not have to move the tank with the other types either, this one is definitely forgiving in that way.

I put it in about 3 summers ago and it's still working.

Also agree that it sound like you are having some other voltage drop issues, typical of this era. Although, the regular voltage drop stuff shouldn't keep the gauge from working if the sender and gauge are good.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2018 at 11:45am
Has 240-33 ohm been the standard in the boating industry for a while? Curious if I could change my swing arm and float Ski Tique sending unit to a newer more accurate WEMA.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2018 at 11:56am
Yes (you can)
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2018 at 12:08pm
Thanks, While the tank is already out for the stringer repair, I would like to change it. Our gauge constantly bounces between 1/4 tank and 3/4 tank. I pulled the sending unit out last night, the arm hangs up in a few spots.

Do you know if the wiring is the same, one wire to the sending unit one ground to the bracket on the tank?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2018 at 12:29pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic