Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Raw Water filter

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Skibehind84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skibehind84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raw Water filter
    Posted: July-04-2018 at 1:34am
New guy to the group. I have a 1984 SN that I purchased from my BIL just this year. Its been a great boat. We took it out last week and it started to overheat at a slow speed and idle. I've checked the RWF and O ring is a little beat up. Its a Vetus strainer and almost impossible to find just the 5" O ring online. I saw that someone was able to use a O-ring Size: 5"ID X 5-3/8"OD X 3/16"CS off amazon that worked. Anyone have experience with this? Vetus was charging $23 for an O-ring from UK. I got 5 of the ones mentioned for $4

Brady

I
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 1:58am
Hi and welcome to the site!
If you're overheating, I'd check your raw water pump impeller while you are down. A worn impeller that causes an overheat like that could fail completely very quickly.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skibehind84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 2:19am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Hi and welcome to the site!
If you're overheating, I'd check your raw water pump impeller while you are down. A worn impeller that causes an overheat like that could fail completely very quickly.

It’s been changed once in the 4 years my brother in laws had it but I have an extra so I’ll do that. Thanks.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 6:34am
My O'Ring went bad on my old boat when we were out on a week long trip.
At the beach we cleaned it, Put a bead of silicone all around the O'Ring groove. Then wiped the cover with Vaseline and installed it very lightly in place.
The next day went ahead and tightened the lid against the now dry silicone. The Vaseline kept the lid from sticking.    
This on the beach fix was still on that boat when I sold it.   It never leaked so I was never motivated to go find a new O'Ring.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 7:49am
The O-ring is a standard dash #353

5 for $5.80 at McMaster

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 9:42am
You could also bypass the filter entirely.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 10:35am
I believe it was Kostas that found the O-rings somewhere. You may want to reach out to him (OldSchoolBlue84)
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I believe it was Kostas that found the O-rings somewhere. You may want to reach out to him (OldSchoolBlue84)

ISA Sales & Service, LLC
219-916-2422
cortney@isass.net
Chesterton, IN
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 2:34pm
Hey Pete,

I realize that your boat probably doesn't have the water strainer but the o ring used has a square profile. The o rings you referenced have a round profile so if they were used they would allow air to leak. FYI
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 3:47pm
Are you sure Dave? The one Kostas shows in his picture above is round. The newer style Sherwood's are square,McMaster has them also.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

Hey Pete,

I realize that your boat probably doesn't have the water strainer but the o ring used has a square profile. The o rings you referenced have a round profile so if they were used they would allow air to leak. FYI

Dave,
My boats having or not having a sea strainer really has no refference to my providing a link to a standard O-ring. I simply went by the dimensions Brady gave in the OP. . Why do you feel there's a problem with it leaking? Are you thinking of a different sea strainer like Gary mentioned? And yes McMaster has square O-rings too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skibehind84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 4:43pm
Here is what my O ring looks like and the strainer that I have. It’s definitely beat up and in need of replacement. Thanks guys for the reference and O ring contact.

DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Hey Pete,

Dave,
My boats having or not having a sea strainer really has no refference to my providing a link to a standard O-ring. I simply went by the dimensions Brady gave in the OP. . Why do you feel there's a problem with it leaking? Are you thinking of a different sea strainer like Gary mentioned? And yes McMaster has square O-rings too.

I never saw a square o ring before opening the strainer on my 97 GT 40 engine. I wasn't sure if you knew it was square. By the way how's the Forester after the body work.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 7:03pm
Per SkiDim the new o-rings are round. I have used the new round one in place of the original square one and it works fine.

SkiDim strainer page
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Per SkiDim the new o-rings are round. I have used the new round one in place of the original square one and it works fine.

SkiDim strainer page

That's not the O-ring for the Vetus strainer the OP'r was asking about.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 7:22pm
Keep it original, stay with the square o rings.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 8:07pm
My head is just spinning reading this

What I seem to get is "Be original, be square, be like Pete"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 8:59pm

Keep it original, stay with the square o rings.

The Vetus strainer DOES NOT use the square profile O-ring.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skibehind84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 1:09am
So I used the ROUND O-ring that I purchased online from the O-ring store and its worked great so far with the fake a lake testing. Funny thing was when I first looked at it and put it on the strainer it was about 1/4 too big. I showed two different people the ring then went to a local hardware store with the strainer and the O-ring to see if they had a 5" . He saw that the one I had was too big but they only had a 4.75" one that was too small. When we put my 5" ring back on it miraculously fit... we were both quite shocked not knowing exactly how that had happened. I wanted to shake his hand but was afraid maybe my hand might shrink if I touched him. Found another issue with the hose connection from the strainer to the impeller that was probably causing me to lose some suction and fixed that. Hoping to get the boat on the lake for a full test later this week. Thanks for everyone's input

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skibehind84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 1:17am
Old O-ring and the Vetus strainer

rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 2:17pm
Mine is square, but I would not sweat trying a round one when I need to replace it.
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic