Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carburetor issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
restored82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote restored82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carburetor issues
    Posted: July-02-2018 at 7:20pm
My 82 nautique runs rich at low speeds and idle. I had the holley 4160 rebuilt some time ago. Having realized it was most likely set up in a level position on a bench. It seems likely that the floats are not set up to match the 15 degrees the engine sits at at idle or low speeds. Is it likely the float setting could be the culprit. Other ideas are welcome. If it is the float level how is it to be set up since it is an internal float set up.?And how much need it be adjusted? Thanks in advance for helpful ideas and input .Brian
Jus Fishin
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2018 at 8:42pm
Could be a few things. How are your plugs? How long ago was the rebuild? I believe on the old Holley’s with internal floats the fuel is supposed to barely drip out of the plug. How are your other ignition components? Wires, cap/rotor, Coil?
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2018 at 10:59pm
If the float adjustment was too high you'd have lots of fuel dripping down the primary venturis and more drivability issues than just a rich mixture.

At speed the carburetor is still at about the same angle as when it's idling.

There's really no "special" adjustment needed for the mounting angle Any PCM manual has the float level set up just like an automotive application.although some people like to adjust the primary bowl float a little lower

In 82 they had the internally adjustable floats which means you have to take the float bowl off to do it.

The older ones that BB12 refers to could be externally adjusted

Before doing anything with floats, I'd make sure the idle mixture screws are set right and that you're actually idling on the idle circuit..

A good starting point for the mixture screws is 1 1/2 turns out from seated.

You can do a CCF search on how to adjust them or read a Holley manual

Lots of info here on the website

Somebody might mention a blown power valve causing issues like this also but that's not too common at all unless you've had a big backfire through the carburetor, then it's a "maybe"

And like BB12 said make sure your ignition system is working as it should.
restored82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote restored82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 5:11pm
Thank you Keno and bb12 for your input .After a bit of pondering I will add more info;
1}Coil,cap , rotor and wires were new one hundred hours ago [time of rebuild]
Carb was rebuilt then as well
2} the ignition is a pertronix ignitor
3} The jets are set at 2 1/2 turns by mechanic
4} the idle always fluctuates,never a flat idle
5}The stern is always coated some with black soot
6}the spark plugs foul more the further to the rear on each bank of cylinders fronts light beige the rears are black. I have new plugs to install
7] the engine has backfired through the carb a time or two
Thanks again for your information and sharing your experience ,much appreciated,
Jus Fishin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by restored82 restored82 wrote:

The jets are set at 2 1/2 turns by mechanic

Brian,
Do you mean the idle mix adjustment like Ken mentioned?
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Before doing anything with floats, I'd make sure the idle mixture screws are set right and that you're actually idling on the idle circuit..
A good starting point for the mixture screws is 1 1/2 turns out from seated.

Did your mechanic use a vacuum gauge per the Holley instructions?
Take a look at the video and note what problems can be caused by a bad idle mix adjustment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic