Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

78 ski nautquie.. propeller and prm issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Eric Harrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Harrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 78 ski nautquie.. propeller and prm issue
    Posted: June-24-2018 at 1:46pm
Hey Guys.. hope all is well... I have a 78 SN..351w... I put on a new QFT.. but I can only get 2900 rpms.. under pressure.... so secondireies will not open... at idle I
get all I want.. my current propeller is 13x14. FRDERAL RH.......... HELP.. PLEASE

Easyyelp
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 2:09pm
Check your throttle cable movement at carb. Not familiar with QFT but you may have to make some adjustments from how the 4160 linkage was set up to get primaries to fully open. Recent poster had similar issue.
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Harrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 2:33pm
I disconnected the cable.. the throttle is in same location if I use my hand or have it connected
Easyyelp
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 3:31pm
To make sure I understand what you said.   You can fully open primaries by hand with cable disconnected and the throttle cable will also fully open the primaries?

What do you mean by “under pressure?”

Did you do anything else to the engine while changing out carb, any details you can provide can help isolate the issue(s),
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1968 - Mustang - Sold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Harrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 4:33pm
Under pressure.. in gear and moving.. in neutral I can hit 3000+ rpms.. only 2800 when running.. even coming out of hole.. yes.. I watched the secondireies open.. in neutral at 3100rpms..
Easyyelp
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Eric Harrell Eric Harrell wrote:

yes.. I watched the secondireies open.. in neutral at 3100rpms..

That should never happen in neutral with no load unless you have mechanical secondaries and you bought a M-600 QFT right.

It has vacuum secondaries.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 5:41pm
Have you checked timing, especially total timing? If your distributor isn't advancing correctly it will limit power.

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 5:42pm
3000 in neutral and 2800 in gear is no surprise ... with a load on the drive train the engine will always max at a lower rpm. What more concerns me is the 3000 max in neutral - got to be a problem there. Fuel restriction? Carb malfunction or linkage problem? IDK, I'm no carburetor guru.... there's others on the site much more qualified for that question. But if you are saying no load in neutral is 3100 or so max rpm, there is an issue.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 6:00pm
Ditto what Ken said.

It’s difficult to isolate whether this is a fuel or ignition problem as I’ve seen both cause similar symptoms.   That’s what I asked if anything else had been done like new spark
plug wires or etc

Assuming only the he carb was changed, I understand some point nstallations require a USCG approved rubber fuel line to change necessary for he carb to the fuel pump or existing fuel line.   I’ve seen where small pieces of rubber have been inadvertently sliced
off the rubber is hen pushed on to barbed adapters fittings. The piece(s) have then blocked the inlet, needle valve, and one or more jets.   

I would check your fuel pump pressure which should be 5-7psi. It takes
little fuel to rev an engine in neutral vs under load.

Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1968 - Mustang - Sold

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 5:00am
Something is way off, I owned a 1978 Ski Nautique with the 351W and I used a 13x14 through 8 years of ownership. Mine would turn it above 5,000 RPM at 500 ft elevation.
Much less at 6,500 Foot Lake Tahoe elevation, 4,400 RPM, if I remember correctly.
On that boat I had issues with the carb at times.   When I wanted to test and see if the 4 bbl was opening I just opened the engine cover, had someone else drive and watched the carb.   You can see and hear the secondaries open or not.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Harrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 10:16am
Thanks all.. so the qft 600 is new.. it will reach more rooms. In neutral I just stopped revving the engine once I saw them open.. the distributor is old it is electronic.. not points.. when I say old.. it's 20+ years or older.. so new and new timing??
Easyyelp
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Eric Harrell Eric Harrell wrote:

. the distributor is old it is electronic.. not points.. when I say old.. it's 20+ years or older.. so new and new timing??

Why? Are the bushings bad? Have you checked the timing?
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Have you checked timing, especially total timing? If your distributor isn't advancing correctly it will limit power.

BTW, I've got some old distributors that still work fine and they have point sets! Let's see, one is 64 years old and another is 54 years old. The 77 is 41 years old but it's got and EI

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 5:29am
Put a timing light on it and while watching your timing marks slowly raise the RPM from idle to 3,500 RPM.
The timing should advance from around 10 at idle to 32-35 at 3500 RPM.
It should advance smoothly each and every time the exact same.
If it does not advance properly your engine will run like a dog. No power on the top end.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 11:55am
Sounds like the problem we were having with our Tique last summer. It ended up being a timing issue PLUS an issue with our distributor springs not allowing a smooth nor consistent advance. These guys got us rolling and increased our knowledge! Start with timing and go from there.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Harrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2018 at 2:13pm
Ok... back from Vacation and now on to boat repairs.. I am going to buy a new cap at rotor.. I have a Marine distributor.. list# 428 D.. what cap and rotor do I buy and where?? Thanks
E
Easyyelp
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2018 at 2:31pm
That number doesn't mean much but if you follow the link below you might find a picture of your distributor, then you'd know what to order from the same place

link

The quote below from an ignition outfit explains the 428D you reference and also the SAE J1171 you'll probably find too.

"Please note that SAE J1171 and UL 428D are NOT distributor part numbers, but simply US government standards that many completely different distributors meet. These numbers are of almost no use in determining which distributor you have or what ignition kit you need. Usually, the Prestolite distributor part number will be on the opposite side of the distributor body."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic