NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fuel tank vent hose

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wayner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel tank vent hose
    Posted: June-23-2018 at 7:55pm
I have a 1988 Dominique with 454. I am going through all of the obvious things as it bogs down after 3,000 rpms. All manuals and sites say to check the fuel tank vent as part of the check list. Where does the fuel tank vent go ? I can see the hose coming out of the top of the tank but where does it end up and do you just check for an obstruction at the end of the hose ?

thanks
1988 Dominique 454
Wisconsin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2018 at 8:43pm
Wayne,
Have you ever overfilled the tank? If so, gas comes out the vent. Check for a small screened thru hull on the transom.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wayner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 12:50am
Thanks. I was not sure if the over flow and the tank vent were one in the same and I wanted to make sure I was checking everything. I like to be safe so appreciate the input.
1988 Dominique 454
Wisconsin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 7:45am
Originally posted by wayner wayner wrote:

Thanks. I was not sure if the over flow and the tank vent were one in the same and I wanted to make sure I was checking everything. I like to be safe so appreciate the input.

Wayne,
Don't ever say "overflow" if anyone from the DNR or EPA is around. They don't like gas in waterbodies and, you can actually get fined for it! That fitting is the VENT.

A quick way to check if the vent is plugged is to loosen the fill cap which will temporarily allow air into the tank. Have you checked the anti-siphon at the top of the tank where the fuel line to the engine is attached?

Getting back to spilling gas in the lake, have you ever seen one of these? Very handy if any authority is watching you fuel your boat!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kat Daddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kat Daddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2018 at 10:49am
looking at rear of boat, it should be a chrome knob looking thing next to your bilge hole on the right side. Do you know if this hose has ever been changed, it may have collapsed inside.
wayner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2018 at 11:31am
Looks original but I did pull the back panel off that allows access to the tank and hoses. Hose seems to be fine and is easy to move so not pinched. I have decided to go through and change plugs, points, condensor, dist cap and spark plugs. Wires are 8mm Beldons so should be good. I put new in-line fuel filter in. Only thing I am not sure of is if the Holly carburater has a filer of its own. I also dont know much about adjusting the floats when a carburater sits at an angle. I guess I will search for direction. Seems to starve for gas after 3000 rpms so I am going through process of elimination.   I know lots of opinions on electronic ignition as well but I almost wish I would have just gone that route to eliminate adjustments.
1988 Dominique 454
Wisconsin
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2018 at 11:10pm
i had an issue Friday where the engine idled fine but wouldn't rev up without stumbling. Turned out to the be the anti-siphon on the gas tank. The knowledgeable ones on the forum told me the easy way to check. Pull the gas line off the filter and stick it into a can of gas. Run the boat up to speed, if it runs well, your problem is between the filter and the tank. Mine was the anti-siphon but it could also be a clogged filter or a clogged pickup in the tank. It's an easy check before you get into the complicated stuff.

Once i knew what it was, it took 15 minutes and cost $20 to be back on the creek. Of course by that time i had already replaced my gas line, the filter element and flushed the gas tank. All of which needed doing anyway...
Builder
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2018 at 10:39am
Agree. Check/replace the anti siphon valve.
nhhandyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhhandyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2018 at 3:07pm
Q: Sources for anti-siphon valves?

I believe my vent tube also has something in line... I want to replace both of them as the engine (PCM 350 '97 SN) has simply died while under load three times this year. I have removed the anti-siphon valve once and cleaned it - now I will replace it.

The boat is home so I figure while I'm on dry land with all my tools available, I should do a few more things (like anything that is needed for the fuel supply near the tank).

Thanks everyone.
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2018 at 3:20pm
I bought mine at west marine and probably paid twice it's worth, but I was in a hurry to be back on the water and $20 was acceptable to be skiing by Friday.

I expect they are available from Amazon or your favorite on line retailer. The one that I bought was aluminum and the old one was brass. The aluminum is bugging me, so I will likely be replacing it with a brass one this winter.

They come in two sizes for the threaded connection to the tank at west marine. Make sure you buy the correct one for your tank and your hose.

The connection of the old one to the tank was really tight, I had to put some serious hand pressure onto it to break it loose. Definitely use two wrenches, one on the 90 degree fitting on the tank and the other (obviously) on the antisiphone valve. You do not want to damage the welded connection to the tank by putting sideways pressure on it.

Andrew
Builder
nhhandyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhhandyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2018 at 3:23pm
Thanks - I'll put the seat etc off this evening and see what size I have.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic