Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet drive slipping in forward

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dmdmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmdmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velvet drive slipping in forward
    Posted: June-17-2018 at 11:21pm
I do not have a Correct Craft but am hoping someone out there may be able to help.

I have a 1986 Searay 340 Express Cruiser. Port transmission overheated and blew dipstick and sensor plug resulting in a small flash fire. Only charred some wires.

Velvet model #10-18-004 1.52 was rebuilt and a damaged ring gear was replaced.

When it was started (after rebuild) it still had a significant "cluncking" sound in reverse. This was corrected when throttling up and finally by increasing the idle speed by a few hundred rpms. Still had a slight rotation when in forward (it has done since I've owned the boat..3yrs).

Test run seemed to go very well. Next day I was pulling out of dock and noticed port didn't seem to engage in forward, then seemed ok for a short time but then was definitely slipping around 2000-3000 rpm. Returned to dock to take a look....still pretty quiet in idle reverse, noted that there was no rotation when in neutral (for the first time ever). Without changing throttle the rotation speed in reverse was probably 2-3x the rotation speed in forward. Fluids were well monitored during the test the previous day (but didn't check day 2). No apparent leaks.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be happening if this is not a fluid problem?

Thanks for any help!
Comfortably Numb
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 8:08am
Donn,
Was the cause of the overheat determined and was it corrected? To what extent was the trans rebuilt? What pressure was the pump developing after the rebuild?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dmdmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmdmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 9:41pm
Thank you for the reply, I do not have the answers but will ask my mechanic.
Comfortably Numb
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic