Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mystery Sidewinder

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
parks2612 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parks2612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mystery Sidewinder
    Posted: June-13-2018 at 10:31pm
We are seriously thinking about buying this boat to rehab it. My husband and I both love Ugly and vintage things. Anyway we just want to know if anyone really knows what kind of boat this is. We have not been able to find another like it. Check out the Link for the Pictures. They are saying it is a 1973 Sidewinder Thunderbolt... I cannot find anything like it except for the Sidewinder Jet XL but that boat is not an outboard.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2018 at 11:02pm
Google fiberclassics they are the best site for classic outboards, someone there will know for sure
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2018 at 11:17pm
If you were familiar with Sidewinders or googled it, you know that they are typically a low slung sporty boat. With that badge and the very Sidewider-esque windshield and side profile, there is no reason to not believe its a sidewinder. Certainly the ugly duckling of the family. Yours is the only one I found, googling it, so it must be a pretty rare bird. I really like the "traditional" Sidewiders and bought one of the many clones of them many years ago, a Taylor SS jet. I say, if you like old and ugly, combine that with a classic boat name and go for it. Price isnt toooooo bad but I would definitely do some negotiating.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 11:50am
I had a 1971 Sidewinder with a 115 Mercury outboard. It would run 60 mph by the speedometer (before GPS was invented). Anyway as mentioned a very low freeboard boat. Lots of fun for a year or so.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 12:18pm
Sidewinder was a significant boat maker for sure and if they made it in a jet then they likely also made it in an outboard and boy there it is there were many companies that copied sidewinder hulls, but not likely that one.   I think it is super cool, and probably performs ok as far as those types of things could perform. Make sure the transom isn’t about to fall off, if it is just offer less for it and get it anyway cause its still super cool and looks to be in pretty good shape generally.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 1:08pm
This conversation, that led me to google sidewinder and then Taylor, makes me miss my old Taylor. Cool boat, very good looking, 455 olds, screamed, nicely appointed. Wasnt particularly reliable tho, and not the best of ski boats, so I only had it a year or two. Be fun to have in the barn tho, if I was one of those multiboat kind of guys.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic