Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl Boat Seat Repainting

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
msaccamango View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msaccamango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinyl Boat Seat Repainting
    Posted: May-22-2018 at 1:19pm
How to Repaint Vinyl Boat Seats video demonstrates how I re painted my 90' CC boat vinyl to look like new again. The process is very simple and the results look amazing! If you are looking to replace sun burnt or worn boat seat vinyl this might be an alternate to buying new.

Check out the How-to-video here: https://youtu.be/VtmzfVSEaAg

https://youtu.be/VtmzfVSEaAg

Mario J Saccamango
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 2:47pm
I certainly had my doubts about vinyl paint, figuring for sure it would chip, peel or crack. But then I saw a couple boats where it was used and it looked good, and the owners vouched for it's longevity, so I decided to give it a try.

Hasnt passed the test of time yet, since I just did it a month or so ago, but pleased with result so far.

Obviously this is an after market seat, came with my boat 14 years. ago. I took it to an upholsterer to see if he could redo the whole thing with the seat in heat stamped pleats to match my observer seat and back seat. He could but it was pricey.

So then I looked for a replacement seat. Found what I thought was the Wise brand replacement seat, but over the past 15-20 years, it got quite a bit bigger and more stuffed, so it didnt fit.

So, figureing I had very little to lose, I went the paint route (along with a few pieces of replacement vinyl)

Like I said above, pretty happy with the result.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 3:51pm
That's pretty amazing, does it still feel like vinyl or plastic like??
How well does it clean-up? Looks pretty nice in pictures.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 11:28pm
Looks good but once the vinyl is sun dried and cracking you’re on borrowed time. I’ve tried it and it works. For awhile. A short while.

New vinyl is supple and flexible. Repainted vinyl is kind of rigid and feels less flexible from my experience.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 11:01am
Paul. Looks and feels very close to original some users reported sanding it down. (Polishing it?) with very fine sandpaper. Either way, as directed,several applications of 303 are recommended. Since mine is new, no harsh scrubing needed yet so can't report on that. Peter, time will tell. I'll report back at end of season. I read a million reviews and viewed multiple videos before starting. Chose SEM as having the best reviews, and then as the reviews emphasized, followed the prep directions very carefully, as most reported that was critical. Texture wise, my vinyl was in pretty good shape so hopefully old cracked dry vinyl won't "bleed" through. We will see.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic