Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ramlin Trailer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ramlin Trailer
    Posted: May-16-2018 at 6:27pm
OK...on to the wheels that get me to the water...

Ramlin trailer with the surge brakes..

.1) How can you tell if they are working?

2) What maintenance needs to be performed on them?

3) I want to repack there bearings...is it a pain with brakes on the wheel?

I need to educate before I just rip into them...Thanks everyone!

Chris
Otto
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 6:33pm
google will answer those questions
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 6:44pm
Chris,
Trailer brakes are no different than a car or truck.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 6:45pm
How can I tell if they are even operational?

Otto
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

How can I tell if they are even operational?

Drive the trailer around, apply the brakes, pull the drums and see if the shoes contacted the drum.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 6:57pm
You can jack up a wheel, spin it, then operate the brake cylinder with a big screwdriver. That's probably the easiest quick check. The brakes do not complicate a bearing repack as the hub is integral to the drum.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 7:00pm
AHHH thats what I am looking for!   so spin the wheel and use the screwdriver as a lever to check! Nice!   Thanks!
Otto
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 7:02pm
The easiest way to activate your surge brakes without moving is to remove the hitch/ball from the tow vehicle receiver and install it in the trailer coupler... makes for a nice hand lever (easier than a screwdriver). This comes in handy for bleeding as well.
1993R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1993R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 1:16am
I just got done redoing my surge brakes. It was a pain until we dicovered that on my Ramlin they used a company callled Dexter for many of the parts. The shoes escpecially. Mine where 12in . I was able to get an entire bearing kit and the correct cylinders from a local trailer company who had everything in stock. After we bled the brakes she is running great. Also put Trailer King Tires Load Rated E

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 1:50am
Great info.... mine is a 1998. I traded an eagle for it because I needed it to fit in my garage. Did you just replace everything? I am thinking that would be the easiest. New parts work better than old. Any tips for a first timer?

Thank you!
Otto
1993R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1993R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 10:55am
I replaced everything. It took about a week to source everything.
There is an easier way where they sell the entire set up already to go on a backing plate etc...
This would have been smarter in my situation.
Take lots of pics and disassble one side at a time. Your cylinders will be rusted out more than likely.
I would probably fill and bleed everything first just to see if they are good and then start.
from there.
It took us about a full day and a few beers to get it done
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 11:17am
The complete assemblies aren’t too unreasonably priced at ~$100/side. Some brands are less... the original dexter stuff isn’t much of a premium.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Dexter-Axle/23-324-325.html
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The complete assemblies aren’t too unreasonably priced at ~$100/side. Some brands are less... the original dexter stuff isn’t much of a premium.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Dexter-Axle/23-324-325.html

I have done the complete assembly on a Ramlin before it is super easy. Basically bolt on and bolt off.

To service the brakes you need to know how the brakes work and spend time figuring out what needs replacing and what needs adjusting.

I used Titan brakes and they were about $60 per side.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic