Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

.010 bow in prop shaft, repairable?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
StuW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StuW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .010 bow in prop shaft, repairable?
    Posted: May-11-2018 at 5:03pm
I am in the process of performing some engine work on my BFN and while the drivetrain is out I pulled the prop shaft to have the straightness checked. The machine shop I brought it to found it to have a "bow" of .010" out from being straight, clearly not within the .002" tolerance of a new A.R.E. shaft. The shop I went to said they could not straighten it to within a .002" tolerance because of how close it already was. Assuming the bow is not localized to one of the ends, should I try another shop or be looking for a new shaft?
1982 Barefoot Nautique
PCM 454
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 5:06pm
Possibly both!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 5:21pm
We had one straightened out last year that was .008". It cost $125 to have done. It was more than I was inspecting. Something to think about when pricing out a new shaft and coupling.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

We had one straightened out last year that was .008". It cost $125 to have done. It was more than I was inspecting. Something to think about when pricing out a new shaft and coupling.

How straight did they say it ended up?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 5:46pm
.002"
StuW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StuW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2018 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

$125 does seem a little steep. With a 10% discount applied I"m at $380 from Skidim, which suddenly seems more realistic.
1982 Barefoot Nautique
PCM 454
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2018 at 3:13pm
My 2 cents - 380 vs 125 is a big difference, yes. But IMO the double taper is worth the $. I'd just spring for the new shaft.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic