NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Synthetic vs non-synthetic oil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Fiberglassic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiberglassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Synthetic vs non-synthetic oil
    Posted: February-22-2018 at 3:25pm
Could someone point me to a good discussion thread on synthetic oil vs traditional mineral oil? I’m thinking about going to synthetic on my 10 year old (36 hrs. use) 318 V8 swap out in my 1965 Barracuda.

Thanks...Scott
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2018 at 3:35pm
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2018 at 3:36pm
Bobistheoilguy.com is your best bet.

Most guys here use dino because of the short OCI boats have.

Synthetic holds up longer under greater heat scenarios. For the weekend cruiser small block I don't really see any need to run a synthetic oil. Why the switch?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2018 at 3:40pm
Why the switch? Because the winter is getting long.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Fiberglassic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiberglassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2018 at 3:47pm
Thanks!!! Synthetic oil is what she'll get.
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2018 at 5:11pm
I think it went over his head....
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2018 at 5:21pm
LMAO, no E F Hutton are you Mr Zachy.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2018 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Fiberglassic Fiberglassic wrote:

Thanks!!! Synthetic oil is what she'll get.

Certainly do what you want. I think a lot of folks use synthetic. But (1) what was said above that led you to that conclusion so quickly? and (2) along the lines of what Zach said, people use Synthetics to get 7500 to 10,000 miles between oil changes. If you use your boat, say, 50 - 100 hrs per year (a reasonable average) that roughly equates to 1500 - 3000 miles a year. I think we all change oil every season. Why do you want a synthetic to go 1500 - 3000 mi? Not saying its a bad idea, just curious.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2018 at 7:37pm
Scott,
I too would like to know your reasoning to go synthetic. The "bling" factor?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2018 at 7:52pm
The engine will probably last longer than the car, regardless of what oil is used.

Now the oil filter is a whole 'nother story . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2018 at 8:51pm
Things really get interesting when you start looking at Group V, Group IV PAO, Group III and synthetic blends...

Please pass the popcorn.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2018 at 8:57pm
Scott,
If you do switch to synthetic, don't forget to check the level of the ZDDP of the brand you what to use. .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2018 at 10:28pm
One issue that is not brought up frequently about the use of synthetics and rebuilds is the weep factor. For some reason when synthetics are use in rebuilt motors I have always seen oil weeping through gaskets. I have had other friends notice the same thing. Switch back to a conventional oil, wipe down the motor and the weeping goes away. Just something I and others have noticed.
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2018 at 10:50pm
Type 4-5 base synthetics made from esters (like original Mobil 1 and even current 0-40 formula) cause seals to swell and it seems to really evidence itself on older engines with gaskets that are intolerant to esters.

Sure have seen it on older cars that I bought and switched to early M1 formula. My aluminum block and head’s leaked like a sieve on an A8 I owned for a few years. Before I sold it, switched back, cleaned the engine and belly pan and leaks disappeared with Dino oil.
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2018 at 2:00am
probably never had it back then probably assembled and tolerance set for in motor that old, not sure the benefit will really out weight the cost
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2018 at 10:38am
Not much difference in price between Castrol 20/50 and Royal Purple 20/50 for me. I run the beast hard and it only gets serviced once a year and well over a 100 hours. I am not allowed to do oil changes at the marina so I have to swap boats off a trailer and bring it home for service. Only happens once a year. This year I added 1/2 quart all season. last year with the Castrol I think I added 3 times that sooo 1 1/2 quarts but I may have used it more.
I have no science behind it and never read OilBobs stuff.
John
Just the observation of a guy who beats a SBC half to death all year.,
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2018 at 11:03am
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Not much difference in price between Castrol 20/50 and Royal Purple 20/50 for me.

I run the Royal purple (15w40)in my 2012 on the recommendation of someone on this site who's been using it in his new boats for many years. It's simply a recommendation with not much to back it up other than he's never had any issues with it. I've been using it since the first oil change at 25 hours and never add any oil between changes. Now at 400 hours. With only 1 oil change a year the cost is not even a factor to me.

I do still run dino oil in everything else.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2018 at 11:15am
Alan, I like the 15w/40 viscosity for our boats since they never really start in weather below freezing. Cold starting is the biggest advantage in my mind for using synthetic motor oils, and my autos are garaged with temps rarely below 25F.

When I really needed M1, was in college with my little hotrod Grey market 3 liter Capri sat outside in the minuses on packed ice. Sometimes when it got to -20f, it was the only car that started and peeps came running like zombies with jumper cables held high!

The other reason I like synthetics is for deposit control. If you’ve ever torn down an engine run exclusively on synthetic, even a high miler or severe service (road racing, endurance racing)—things are definitely cleaner. I raced with a Honda team in the 80’s and all cars ran similar duty, mine was the only synthetic filled and after the season ended, of the three engines, mine was the only one measuring near zero wear, and no oil consumption or blow by. Second season all cars ran synthetic.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic