Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the purpose of this

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Hermit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the purpose of this
    Posted: February-21-2018 at 2:09pm
Hey,
Just bought a 1981 Ski Natique, project... was chasing wires & I found this. So What is it & what's it do?
Also I have a cranks, but no spark issue. Any ideas about something quick & easy as a fix before I get the meter out; again?
thanks
joe

Hermit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 2:10pm
sorry I meant to say the red button labeled 40. what's it do?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Hermit Hermit wrote:

sorry I meant to say the red button labeled 40. what's it do?

It's a circuit breaker. It does the same as all those circuit breakers in you house.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 4:58pm
So if he opens the fridge while the AC and Stereo are on his lights will turn off??
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

So if he opens the fridge while the AC and Stereo are on his lights will turn off??

Only if someone flushes a toilet at the same time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 5:10pm
As far as a quick fix for the cranks but doesnt spark issue, without getting out your volt meter, is, there isnt one. Cant fix it unless you know what the problem is and you dont know where the problem is until you find it (with your meter) A quick thing to try is a quick fine sand paper or emory board cleaning of the points, but if that doesnt do it, get the meter our and start tracking from battery to ignition switch, to coil to distributor. There are a couple quick easy tests, but I dont do them often enough to recite them off the top of my head (they are in some notes in my tool box (next to my meter) ) But a good one is (I think Ive got this right) neg on ground, pos on coil negative. test with points open, test with points closed. If it doesnt switch from 0 to 12 volts then there is no current to points or points are not contacting. There are a bunch of good videos on youtube on tracking down an ignition problem with a VOM if you arent familiar.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 6:11pm
Don't push the red button! Ever!!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 6:23pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 6:33pm
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 10:32pm
Here's a wiring diagram courtesy of somebody named Tim B that's close for your engine.

The biggest difference is that it's for an engine with a voltage regulator that's internal to the alternator and your's is external because it's located right behind the 40 amp breaker in your picture.. Some of the breakers were 40 amp and others were 50 amp.

Since the key works to turn the engine over, that breaker is not tripped so don't worry about trying to reset it.

The wiring path from the battery to the distributor and spark plugs is the same though.

You didn't mention what kind of distributor or what's hiding under the cap like breaker points or an electronic module. Since you have a ballast resistor (the white thing above the 40 amp breaker) that doesn't appear to be bypassed you probably have points and maybe they need to be cleaned up to get you some spark. Check to see if it's points or electronic and post a picture

Lots of things to look at but if you work your way thru the flowpath checking voltages it will help you.

Like 75 Tique said, there are lots of info and tutorials on line without repeating it here

If you check and post what you find somebody will help
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 11:23pm
You guys are better than "Impractical Jokers" at times.............keeps me coming back to the Forum on a daily basis. For some of us "older" folks there could be a Forum joke in there somewhere: I never thought I would be writing...
SRB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic