NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carter AFB Carb Experts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2018 at 2:37am
Oh my. I didn't know the AFB was such a hot topic. Honestly, I though the carb was a goner the second I lifted the doghouse on the promo. It was covered iin fuzy corrosion and the insides were full of tar. After a little research, it seems like the AFB complements the 340 like peanut butter and jelly. It was convincing enough for me to tear it open and start a few days of cleaning.

Long story short, this carb has come a long long way from being scrapped. I definitely want to give it a fighting chance at running again. While I'm not a carb expert, I have rebuilt dozens, and I'm looking forward to seeing what this girl can do. It's intimidating with all the external and internal moving parts. Sort of reminds me of a Rube Goldberg machine.

If I can't get this one working, I would look to replace it with another AFB.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2018 at 3:07am
My buddy has a 1972 340 4 speed Challenger. We put a Carter AFB on it at rebuild of the engine. 10.5 compression, polished and ported X heads, headers nice Cam.
When we took it to the dyno test that engine screamed to 6,000 where my buddy decided to stop. Made 320 HP at the rear tire. Would be around 400 at the crankshaft.
The cool part was the dyno operator showing us the fuel curve and commenting that he had never seen a Carb give such a nice even fuel curve from idle to 6,000 RPM.
Put up numbers nearly as good as fuel injection on his car.
Experience has shown me you can remove a Carter on a 400 HP small block and bolt on a new Holley and pick up 5 HP. Maybe 7.
At the drag strip a Holley has a very slight known advantage and earned the performance reputation.
On the street or in a boat there is nothing wrong with running a Carter.
We ran a Carter 625 on my brothers jet boat with a 460 for years. His pump limited RPM to about 5,200 and the Carb worked perfectly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic