NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

just a matter of threads

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: just a matter of threads
    Posted: February-14-2018 at 6:31pm
can any body tell me what thread pattern would be used on my 1997 sn 196, we have been metric on this side of the pond for years, I know you all use the old imperial size wrenches and I presume unf and unc threads, I guess I am just being lazy as I could get a thread gauge from somewhere but I am one of you guys will be able to inform me (as usual)
Barefoot Gramp's
DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 6:33pm
sorry I assume the same applies to the motors, we have a 350 chevy and a 351 ford.
Barefoot Gramp's
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 7:08pm
You said it, UNC and UNF. (and a few NPT)

It seems like a pretty open ended question

If you want to know something like every bolt on a 351 or 350, it's time to pull out that thread gauge
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 8:02pm
You won't find any of these on SBF or SBC engines

British Standard Whitworth (BSW) is an imperial-unit-based screw thread standard.
Sir Joseph Whitworth proposed this thread in 1841. This was the first standardised thread form.

But you will most likely find it handy to have both Fractional and Metric wrenches on hand.

Had to cut a few BSW threads in my working days. Real PITA cause I was not set up to do them.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 9:59pm
Duane,
I'm still hanging onto my Whitworth tools. You never know when the mythical RR marinized engine out of Marilyn Monroe's Debonair   will show up. BTW, I always enjoyed using them on the BSW system. If you had a 3/8 bolt, you grabbed a 3/8 wrench and not a 9/16!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic