Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FREE BOAT!!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jetwrangler1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetwrangler1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FREE BOAT!!!
    Posted: February-14-2018 at 5:15pm
Just got ME a FREE boat!!!!

18' 1976 Southwind. Of course it needs some TLC, It was operational last season, had a short on one of the plug wires causing it to miss.. So, needs new plugs, wires, and a marine dist cap (so I was told). A good friends dad gave it to me after buying me some new rims and tires to go on it,

First boat ive ever owned. I've been out on this boat many times and besides needing some cosmetics it seemed to always do pretty well. Anything I should know right out of the gate?

Thanks for the help glad, I found this place.
-Carter
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 5:37pm
Welcome to the site. We love pics, just fyi. I would put a new impeller in it, change the oil, replace wires and plugs, change tranny fluid, inspect stringers, and possibly check the shaft alignment. Then run it and see how it works. That's a sweet deal!
92 Sport nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 5:37pm
Try not to get carried away on buying dumb stuff like speakers and lights until it's running reliably. Repairs add up quickly.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 5:47pm
Carter,
Chris pretty much states my recommendations except I would remove the word "possibly" from the alignment check. Defiantly do one.

Welcome to CCfan and yes on the pictures. They will give us a better idea of what you have.

Originally posted by rolleronariver rolleronariver wrote:

Welcome to the site. We love pics, just fyi. I would put a new impeller in it, change the oil, replace wires and plugs, change tranny fluid, inspect stringers, and possibly check the shaft alignment. Then run it and see how it works. That's a sweet deal!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetwrangler1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2018 at 12:47pm
Thank you all for the words of wisdom. Speakers and crap i'm not so much worried with, I got more waterproof Bluetooth speakers and flashlights then i know what to do with. : )

Boat/Rain cover is important to me (suggestions welcome). The interior needs help, pretty dilapidated, I'm debating on doing a custom wood doghouse/engine cover. Also need to build a new swim step. My dad is a wood worker so those projects will come easy. Im a decent enough mechanic, though I have never worked on boats. Needs new paint (in my mind) not sure if what i have will buff out to shine up. Has a brand new floor in it. I will definitely take pictures im not sure what original even is suppose to look like with these boats. I grew up on sailboats. First thing is to get it in a shop grease the trailer bearings see if we can get her running. After that some trailer work and off to the water.Thank you all for the support and any ideas and how to's are most appreciated.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2018 at 1:35pm
Angola Canvas has the pattern for your boat all you have to do is call and spec the material you want and options.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2018 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Jetwrangler1 Jetwrangler1 wrote:

Needs new paint (in my mind) not sure if what i have will buff out to shine up. .

Carter,
Has the hull been painted or are you just referring to graphics?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetwrangler1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Jetwrangler1 Jetwrangler1 wrote:

Needs new paint (in my mind) not sure if what i have will buff out to shine up. .

Carter,
Has the hull been painted or are you just referring to graphics?

To my understanding this is pretty much all original from 1976. It was bought and used originally in/near Burlington, WI on Browns Lake. When my friend (and his family) moved to Brandon, MS the boat made the journey. There are no graphics other than South Wind 18 and the hand painted boat name on the stern. The bottom is a mix of green and red. The white is faded and dull.. I guess the question should be how do I make it look "new" again. Ill post some pictures soon. My opinion is its in rough shape,

Should I re do the swim step or a ladder on it? Kinda see the value in the ladder. Was the swim step even an option or all home made?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2018 at 6:25pm
Cruise through the Reference section here. The sales brochures from many years are in there. You'll see what was optional.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetwrangler1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2018 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Cruise through the Reference section here. The sales brochures from many years are in there. You'll see what was optional.

Still getting back use to forums, sorry if not quoting correctly.

So it definitely came with a ladder, that is now hacked off at the first step. Oh well, swim step will be rebuilt and that will be that. Ill keep it simple for sure. The more I look the more fabrication I find. The passenger seat extends out past the first step to get on to the bow. More worried with structural and mechanical than aesthetics for now.

Well dang still trying to get photos small enough.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetwrangler1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2018 at 7:03pm
Here are some pictures

MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 12:06am
Nice looking boat, especially for the price.
'92 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic