Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Twin Turbo Big Block Marine Chryslers - 440 M&W Ge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Twin Turbo Big Block Marine Chryslers - 440 M&W Ge

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 3:00pm
Nice find Joe...6 marine turbo's to my 4 I bow to the king have fun.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 6:05pm
Joe I was talking with my cousin who owns a Diesel shop in my hometown in central IL. They do a ton of turbo work and wanted to show him some pictures. I mentioned that it was an M&W and he got a smirk on his face. Turns out they purchased all the remaining stock of parts and misc that M&W had in Gibson City. Just by looking at the pictures he thought he could help you out if you need something. If you want to touch base with him sometime I can give you his information.
Brian
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 7:25pm
Very nice find. I remember in the 80's we heard of a guy with a 454 ski Nautique with twin turbos. I never saw it but one of my ski partners got a ride in it.
He said power was incredible but top speed was limited by porpoising.
Looks like a couple great projects will be on tap.
The turbo kits look to be high quality.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 9:15pm
Everything is better when it comes as a set!!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 10:27pm
Amen
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 10:54am
Since Bill asked for an update...

It was very cold in the shop this winter (which ended 3 days ago) so not as much movement on these projects as I would have liked - but I was able to source a good donor 440 lower end not too long ago. I plan to start swapping over reverse rotation parts and replacing the bearings/rings on rainy days over the next couple months. If that all works out it should give me 2 good rh 330s and 1 good lh 330 and 3 sets of twin turbos to play with.   I do have another rh crank and cam out of a 426 but I hate to take apart an original running marine mopar at this point so if the LH runs out good it might stay as is.

I probably need to rebuild a trailer before I can get any of these engines into a test boat as the one that the marauder is on has blown out all 4 of its irreplaceable coil springs.

I uncovered the 67 wildcat which is hopefully not getting one of these motors to try and get it started after the winter over the weekend it wants a few days of work to get it ready for the summer but I don't plan on any problems with taking it to green lake so Bill you can meet me there for a ski, quinner too if he can drag his but 2 hours north.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 12:21pm
Admittedly my head has been buried under a rock and work has me going 1000 different directions, but Joe, you just said Green Lake! I miss all you guys a ton, and obviously, I missed that announcement... When is everyone heading to Green Lake???
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 12:22pm
Those Chrysler mods are WAY COOL btw...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I probably need to rebuild a trailer before I can get any of these engines into a test boat as the one that the marauder is on has blown out all 4 of its irreplaceable coil springs.

Joe,
What sources have you checked for the springs? When I rebuilt the TeeNee for the Atom, I used springs from McMaster. Under "compression springs", looks like they go all the way up to 5" dia. and some with some pretty decent load ratings.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Admittedly my head has been buried under a rock and work has me going 1000 different directions, but Joe, you just said Green Lake! I miss all you guys a ton, and obviously, I missed that announcement... When is everyone heading to Green Lake???

Its over in the reunion thread Steve... I know that's like two clicks away so I will copy and paste it here... Hope you can make it!    I am still in decent shape to get something there that is big and chryslery

Hey all..

I've been asked by many "when we'd make Green Lake great again".......
So by popular demand, I'm posting this as a means to get us together yet once again at the big lake they call "Horrible" LOL....

So those of you who want to come out and spend time on the big lake, tip a few back with friends in the bay, and bring your beloved CC, block out the weekend of July 14th.

No formal sign up.. We'll most likely gather for a trailer show on Friday night, then spend all day in the water on Sat/Sun. No formal dinner...

Check the following site for accommodations.. The Lakeside Inn has reopened under new management,, Now called the Green Lake Suites..

www.visitgreenlake.com

So make a plan, even if its for the day..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 1:00pm

Joe,
What sources have you checked for the springs? When I rebuilt the TeeNee for the Atom, I used springs from McMaster. Under "compression springs", looks like they go all the way up to 5" dia. and some with some pretty decent load ratings. [/QUOTE]

They are the confined space conical springs I asked a trailer place and looked online for the usual suspects... in truth the trailer is a piece of junk universal inboard trailer and while I would put maybe 200 into springs for it to keep as a yard trailer it would be money better spent on one of the CC trailers I have needing restoration.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Its over in the reunion thread Steve... I know that's like two clicks away so I will copy and paste it here... Hope you can make it!    I am still in decent shape to get something there that is big and chryslery

Thanks Joe!!! It is going on the calendar!!!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 2:11pm
So I been messing about with the RH 440 trying to get it a little closer to correctcraft size and decided to get out the previously designated for the landfill 72ish marauder and see if I can get them making some waves together in time for the summer.   A lot of futzing with hoses so far, but I have the cooling system generally complete and it shouldn't be too much longer now before its in the boat.   After that there is a lot of wiring/fuel system upgrades to do, and a new floor, and some wood replacement for the seats… but hopefully then it will be ready for cruising.

Boat

Old side view

New Side view

Old Back View

New Back View

New front view

Empty Boat

Getting Close

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 2:25pm
I'd say when you are on the water and pull that doghouse to show someone the engine, you are instantly the coolest kid on the block.

Is there any issue with balance of turbo output? In other words, if one is healthier than the other does it matter at all, or does the pressure balance regardless of which side is putting out more and just delver X amount of air to the carb?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Is there any issue with balance of turbo output? In other words, if one is healthier than the other does it matter at all, or does the pressure balance regardless of which side is putting out more and just delver X amount of air to the carb?

I am not one of them there experts but all they are doing is providing air to the carb box at an increased pressure (sadly also increased temperature) . If one doesn't work at all then it is a leak path for the air being moved by the other and there probably would be little to any boost as a result.   if one is slower or more restricted than the other then the overall boost might be reduced a bit but nothing I would likely notice.    
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 8:32am
All looks good to me. 😳😉😂. I am glad you chose to take on this challenge Joe!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 9:01am

It Bolts right in

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 9:22am
Getting interesting!!
Js
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

Getting interesting!!

Seriously can’t wait for a ride in this sleeper.
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 12:09pm
Now we’re talkin! Love the Project Joe. That ariens looks like a nice workhorse too
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by bwinn bwinn wrote:

That ariens looks like a nice workhorse too

That Ariens is about the same year as the boat, and few older than me - 16hp of all hydraulic lifting, shaft driven, mowing, snow blowin, plowing, and rototillin monster -complete with 3 point hitch for moving boats around the shop.   A little worn in the cosmetics and valve train, figure I might clean her up in another 20 years or so when one of us retires.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 12:46pm
Ok, might be a foolish question, but that never stops me ...... how does the wet log to up pipe to turbo then out exhaust handle the cooling water?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Ok, might be a foolish question, but that never stops me ...... how does the wet log to up pipe to turbo then out exhaust handle the cooling water?

Not sure I completely get the question but....

This is an insanely complicated cooling system, water and exhaust are not joined together until the last elbows that point down into the exhaust hoses/tubes that will run out the back.   The exhaust components are all jacketed in water but they have dry joints between them and the water travels from one piece to another via a hose in and a hose out.   The elbows under the turbos actually have 2 hoses in and one out. One of the two water pumps (the little one), splits right out of the pump and cools the trans cooler and starboard manifold (enters back bottom, leaves back top) with the other one cooling the oil cooler and then into the back bottom of the port manifold.   The water from the back top of the manifolds then goes to the bottoms of the aluminum elbows below the turbos.   Water from the big pump cools the engine until it is too warm then it is sent back to a t that sends water to the top inside of the same elbows below the turbo.   Water leaves those elbows on the top outside goes to the outside turbo jacket fitting, travels to the inside turbo jacket fitting where it leaves and goes to the fitting on the last elbow attached to the turbos and is dumped with the exhaust out the bottom.   The engine cooling circuit is also crazy but we will omit that except for the in and out for now.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 3:56pm
Actually you got my badly worded question, thanks for the reply. I was trying to see how manifold water found it's way into the exhaust post-turbo while still keeping things cool enough and wasn't seeing it. Wow, that is complex! I assume they felt that a single pump couldn't be guaranteed to balance flow to both sides of the engine, so chose two pumps to insure volume of flow everywhere?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic