NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cold weather pondering-hull design '70's SN

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 2:55pm
You could slap in a new style permanent magnet starter, it weighs about half of what your old one does.

Advertised weight of 9 pounds, compared to advertised weight of 18 pounds for the old style.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 3:59pm
Doubtful you'll find an aluminum timing cover with a water pump mount but you could go with a crank mount pump. Ditch the circulation pump like HM did but be prepared that they cool differently.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 4:21pm
Maybe you should weigh the hull, or check under the floor, there could be a lot of water weight in the foam

Or you could just tell yourself it's an 81 that's bone dry under the floor and hasn't packed on any pounds over the years.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 10:33pm
Yes, I do plan on weighing the hull while motor/trans are out.
As nice as the boat appears to be, pretty sure it has picked up some ballast in 36 years.....
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 11:13pm
I figure the complete engine with manifolds and transmission weighs 856 pounds

This link explains where I came up with that number. see page 15

I think the 856 is with a B/W transmission since that's what the diagrams in the manual show

The whole boat according to CC weighed 2100 pounds dry.

I borrowed Pete's abacus and came up with a hull weight of about 1250 pounds as a ball park number for the hull, just to give you an idea.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2017 at 5:16am
I found working on my gen 2 SNWeights
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2017 at 9:17am
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

I found working on my gen 2 SNWeights

Roger,
Looks like documentation used for calculating flotation!

EDIT: Keith, How about putting the document Roger found in the misc./reference section?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2017 at 11:54am
Nobody acknowledged or said anything about that old thread I linked above about reducing weight. But recent posts have talked about weight reduction other than the engine components.

Just by hull adjustments look how Paul was able to change how his boat sat in the water.

tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 3:48pm
In that case we can settle this on Deep Lake. Quinner will need to set the course up and this could be his motivation.
Gneil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 6:26pm
Hey guys,
Im new to the group and have been loving the conversations through the forums. Thank you!

I recently picked up an 81 with less than 1K hours, and considering the age, its in good shape. As most of the early fiberglass SN its likely that ill be doing a stringer job in the near future. With this in mind, Im currently doing some research into Coosa board as a substitute for doug fur stringers. I've read many forums and understand the different arguments pro and con. One topic i haven't seen is the one where modern materials like Coosa are used with carbon fiber or kevlar. Any thoughts in this direction?

Additionally, I'm interested in fully documenting my rehab and recording the updates and improvements including pattern making for the stringers and related bulkheads. unless i can buy them form a reliable source. Any one know of such a thing? As I've worked in the design field for the past 25+ years, I'm computer capable. (CAD Sketch-up etc.)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

G. Neil
1980 SN
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 6:55pm
Hi Greg

My first thought is that you should start a new thread you can call your own, instead of tacking on to this one

It'll be easier to keep track of things that way without other peoples issues/problems mixed in.

Otherwise if you've lurked here a while, you know somebody (most likely named Pete) will want to know where the pictures are.
Gneil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 8:02pm
Hi Keno,
Thanks for the sage advice. I'll start a new thread and not confuse this one. I was thinking about weight with the new floor/stringer/foam etc was concerned. That was the logic.

I'll start a new thread and not confuse this one.
Cheers!
G. Neil
1980 SN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 8:16pm
Good luck. Nobody seems to have wanted to pay for Kevlar or carbon fiber but they sure would be the best fabrics available. I am looking forward to your build!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 8:36pm
Greg,

Several on this site, Tim B., Joe F have used CAD to design and cut the stringers and such from composite board. They put the stringers back as composite.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Gneil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 8:43pm
Donald,
Thanks for the tip to Tim B and Joe F. Just doing some materials research and would like the stringer fix (if necessary) to last. I got a good price on the boat and thought the fix could afford some good planning before I start buying stuff.

Thanks again.
G. Neil
1980 SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 8:48pm
Here is Joe's build-
The fiberglass work does not start until page 4 but the whole thread is a great read
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 10:55pm
Here are some more weights:
Alternator w/ bracket: 11.0
Velvet drive 71c: 95
Battery: 51
Rear center floor: 26
Motor box (upholstered): 59.5

Biggest surprises so far, the cast iron timing cover, the super-heavy exhaust manifolds, and the motor box. And the Velvet drive.

So with the changes I plan to make, this will take almost 300 lbs. off the water.
I don't know if a 14.5% weight reduction alone will get the hoped-for results in wake improvement.

Also, without Photobucket, what other easy ways can I post pics? Thanks
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic