Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Impeller lifespan

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kwas911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwas911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Impeller lifespan
    Posted: October-19-2017 at 4:14pm
I have a 2003 SN with a 330 Excalibur. During winterization today, I found chunks of rubber in the cooling system. Turns out they were parts of the impeller. The impeller was changed at the end of 2016 season. It has roughly 70 hours on it, which seems low for it to have lost many of its spines.

I have no problem changing it out, but I was curious what the expected lifespan is for this model engine? Also, if a premature failing impeller could be symptom of a greater issue?

Thanks
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 5:14pm
My Excal has about 700 hours and I am on my second impeller, as long as you do not run them dry they should last a long time.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 6:06pm
I have had Sierra brand impellers last all day.
(with water, of course)
Keep it....from sinkin'
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 6:39pm
I change mine out every other season. No science behind that interval, maybe 80-90 hours. and the ones I remove always seem to be intact, I just think it's so easy and cheap to put a new one in and gives me peace of mind. I'm guessing yours ran dry at some point, it only takes a short run without water for the rubber to be damaged.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 7:35pm
2012 343 Excalibur.    I go every two years with mine First impeller change was at 200 hours, Vane tips were just starting to tear. Last change was at 150 hours and the vanes were still in very good shape.    

Zach had told me when he was working at N3 they saw an issue with impeller life and was surprised to see me at 200 hours without a problem.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 7:56pm
Disrespectful material breach.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 8:31pm
Check your pump cam for damage or wear. Look at the old impeller for uneven wear marks or grooves. Look at the flat faces for indications of over temp from run dry.
Also be aware when an impeller gets shredded, pieces go BOTH directions upstream, and downstream. It is very common to have a small piece come back up and lodge in the port or cam and take out a brand new impeller quick. You have to clear the hoses on both sides of the pump., Something often overlooked.
I, like many, change mine annually at our yearly Fleet Maintenance Day.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I've reported you to the site administrator for improper use of cross topic humor.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 9:45pm
I'm on my 3rd year in a GT-40, just pulled it after sucking up the pink stuff and it looks good as new.
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

change mine annually at our yearly Fleet Maintenance Day.

+1......simple and why not
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I'm on my 3rd year in a GT-40, just pulled it after sucking up the pink stuff and it looks good as new.

already?

sure missed meeting you at Greg's.....

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2017 at 12:25am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

HAHAHAHA ...
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2017 at 12:33am
20 years of boating and 2 different boats. only changed one impeller on one boat, and that was technically my fault as I ran it dry for several minutes while prepping it for spring - went inside for a couple minutes with the engine running and the flushing hose fell off. Didn't cause an immediate problem, but I figured I should check the impeller anyway. Of course it was obvious it suffered from the starvation so I changed it out. I suppose there's just several variables to consider.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2017 at 12:44am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

20 years of boating and 2 different boats. only changed one impeller on one boat,    

Yup, 10 years easy for me.
Keith, you ran it dry.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic