Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2002 Ski Nautique 196 for wakeboarding?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jsoderbe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsoderbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2002 Ski Nautique 196 for wakeboarding?
    Posted: August-14-2017 at 7:24pm
Hi,

I went and had a look at a 2002 Correct Craft Ski Nautique 196 today. The Air Nautique is impossible to find here, and the ones I see for sale elswhere in Europe are crazy expensive.

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before, but can I wakeboard after a Ski Nautique? I know they are made for waterski, not wakeboard. Is the entire hull different?

It had the buttons for the ballast tanks, but the owner said it was not installed. Can that really be correct? I thought all of them had the tanks installed.

Unfortunately it had no tower, but it had a 6' JOBE pole that was almost new.

It had the nice 5,8 MPI engine, 340 hp. The gauges was not easily readible, but I think I spotted 2000 hours! Is that a deal breaker?

The boat cost approximately 10 k USD, which is a fair price over here. It looks ok, has some cosmetic issues but looks to be a well taken care of boat.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

Regards,

Johan Soderberg
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 8:11pm
You can wake board it. I use to have people wake board behind my 1980 Ski Nautique. I too used a Fly High Extended Pylon. Most boarders do not need the big wakes to wake board. The 196 is a world class ski board and will try not to leave a wake. You can fill a Fat Sack or get a Fat Chick to sit in the back seat for more wake. Your boat might of had an option for a belly tank for Trick Skiing. That might be what you are seeing when you see the reference to ballast.

Many people spend 50 to 150 K for great wake board boats, but they do not have the skills that are needed to utilize that equipment. Many on this site can jump the wakes with a 16 foot Mustang or Skier from the 1970's. The high pull is needed in my opinion.

A correct craft 210 will give you a world class wake board wake and a crappy ski wake.

JMO,

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 8:16pm
They use the same key pads in all the various model Nautique boats, so having a ballast button does not mean it has ballast tanks.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 8:32pm
Come on Don there are no fat chicks in Sweden 🙂
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 8:42pm
The 97+ ski Nautiques, in addition to having small wakes also had pretty undefined, rounded wakes... which is exactly why they're still highly regarded slalom boats. Weight will fix size but won't do a lot for the shape. I can't think of a much worse choice for wakeboarding, to be honest.

The earlier SN's had wakes of varying sizes (newer=smaller) but were relatively well defined through the NWZ era (1996). Those are much easier boats to add some weight and air it out behind.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 10:54pm
yeah... not the best wakeboard boat... but what kind of wakeboarding are we talking about? I've wakeboarded behind my 99 and at 17 and a pole you can go wake to wake and throw some basic moves. Even a fatsack isn't going to correct the wake shape.

But Don hit the nail on the head; I have seen hundreds new 150k + wake boats but maybe only a handful of riders that can actually use them.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 2:32pm
There are better wakeboard boats. But, you make due with what you have.

Long before "wake boats" guys like Byerly and Parks were doing tricks that 99% of wakeboarders can't do today. I've seen video of Byerly doing an amazing pass behind an outboard.

Kapla on this forum has a mid-90s Ski Nautique and is an amazing wakeboarder.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 3:12pm
That outboard and the NWZ are going to throw a much nicer shaped wakeboard wake than the '02 (TSC2) in question. Cc went to a lot of trouble to make that wake small and round.

Converting the fixed lip TSC2 to a hydrogate (tsc3 style) would improve the wake shape a surprising amount. There are dealers here who can do it, or maybe a job you can do at home if you're handy.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 4:20pm
Small wakes were designed for 36 mph not 20mph. You're splitting hairs when comparing 20mph wake size and shape amongst 1990-2009 Ski Nautiques.

I just watched a guy from Lake City (Warsaw IN) throw down a coupe impressive wakeboard passes behind a 97-99 Ski Nautique. I think you can find video of their show from USA Waterski 2017 NSSA Division I Nationals.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 5:02pm
Tim's right about wake shape, but I also agree with Hollywood. I've pulled some impressive runs from top west coast wakeboarders behind my 98 SN low pylon and zero ballast. They are not wakeboard boats, but you can have plenty of fun.

These guys in Europe seem to have a really tough time finding boats in reasonable condition at a price they can afford. I think it gets more difficult to be picky.

BKH

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Come on Don there are no fat chicks in Sweden 🙂

Gary you are likely correct. However, if you import a boat from the USA, you can also import some full figured ladies from the USA too. I do realize this comment hurts coming from me. CQ can hook him up.

My comments on wake boarding a 196 were based on the fact that he is in Europe and proper boats are rare and expensive.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Wtrskior View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wtrskior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 2:56pm
I agree. with some weight and a tower a good rider can throw a litany of impressive inverts and spins. maybe not 1080 quality wakes, but how many can actually utilize the wake size of today's V-drive wake boats? almost none. Surfing is the area that these little DD's don't perform nearly as well.
Wisky Badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 5:07pm
Check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FbeOj-Hp4s

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic