NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with plastic hydrohoist

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with plastic hydrohoist
    Posted: August-13-2017 at 9:25pm
Gents, I have a hydrohoist lift and I can hear a small leak in one of the blue plastic "pontoons tanks". The leak is under some structural metal and when I take it apart, the sound and bubbles go away. Therefore I have it narrowed down to a small area but not pinpointed. For you all knowing gurus, what is my best patch material for this blue plastic? I'm dreaming of something like epoxy that I could spread on the whole area where the leak is. Flexseal As Seen on TV is one thought but I'm not sure it will adhere to the plastic (I am a doubter of this product but it would be perfect). What say ye?
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 11:01pm
David,
Knowing the type of plastic would be ideal however, I have a feeling it's polyethylene (HDPE), If that's the case, there's really not much that will stick to it. It's the reason glue bottles are made from the material. There are a couple "space age" adhesives that supposedly will work but I personally wouldn't take the chance. Plastic welding is the way I'd go.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2017 at 11:15pm
I barely know anything about Hydrohoists.    I've always assumed the tanks were fibreglass.
You would probably be just fine with F/G Mat and either epoxy or poly resin.   Clean, clean, clean then sand the repair area.
But, give it a day or two, surely someone here has been thru the same issue.

Keep it....from sinkin'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 7:54am
I went to the Hydrohoist web page and found that one of their divisions rotational molds so, the pontoons are rotational molded. The most common resin used for rotational molding is Polyethylene so welding the hole is my suggestion if the toons are confirmed to be poly.
Plastic welders and HDPE fillers

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 12:22pm
Thanks. I confirmed this morning that they are HDPE. Plastic welding is best but their tech support suggested that I start by trying MR Stickys. It looks like an epoxy and they said they have had good results. Said to try first due to cost and also suggested an alteration to my lift. Need to cut a metal bar down a couple of inches. So I'll be equipped with my recip saw, some files, rubber end caps for what I'm cutting and some MR stickys. I'll also take a dremel to clean up around the area.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Thanks. I confirmed this morning that they are HDPE. Plastic welding is best but their tech support suggested that I start by trying MR Stickys. It looks like an epoxy and they said they have had good results. .

Are "Mr.. Stickys made by the same company as PB blaster and sold at Autozone? Certainly worth a try and I hope they work for you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 7:55pm
I would certainly trust the manufacturer's advice. Having owned aHydro Hoist (2 different models) for twenty years I can tell you that the company knows what they're doing and have never let me down. An excellent lift if you live on a reservoir with 5-6 foot level swings daily.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 9:12pm
David,
Keep us informed on how Mr. Sticky works out. Do follow the directions explicitly and do include a flame treat that they say must be followed. Some background on why I mention this is my last job as plant engineer was with a company that blow molding HDPE fuel tanks. We made 14 million a year so, I'm very familiar with the flame treat and glad Mr. Sticky insists on it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic