NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I cannot get this engine to run right

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2017 at 5:03pm
to Ken

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2017 at 5:27pm
I think Kook's a happy camper Nice cheap easy fix

Just goes to show ya' what happens when you post pictures

It would have taken a long, long time to get to the same end result without pictures.

So I guess I wouldn't have seen that the O ring was missing if Kook hadn't taken some pictures and he wouldn't have done that if Dreaming hadn't brought up the idle screws one more time and on and on, lots of people...................CCF teamwork again.

I guess it's another case of "when you think it's ignition, look at the fuel system and when you think it's fuel look at the ignition..............unless it's totally obvious what the problem is.
Surprising how many times that works..

That missing O ring also may have brought back some not so good memories for me by the way, if ya' know what I mean

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2017 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

That missing O ring also may have brought back some not so good memories for me by the way, if ya' know what I mean

That was the first thing I thought of after you described the exact symptoms of a missing O ring ! One of those "been there done that's" Still Ken, I admire you catching it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2017 at 7:02pm
If somebody is reading this and saying "I don't remember having a transfer tube" in my carburetor, Holley didn't come out with the tube till the mid 70's.

4160 carbs before that just had a hole in the metering block that aligned with a hole in the carb body and the metering block to carb body gasket had a hole that lined up with the other 2 holes. The holes were about 1/8 of an inch or so

After that came bigger holes and the tube with an O ring at each end and a gasket cut to go around the tube.

Here's a picture of the 2 different gaskets They're the same except for the hole for the accelerator pump discharge. You can turn the old style into a new style with a punch and a razor knife The bottom gasket in the picture was trimmed (not a great job but it worked)

Some rebuild kits come with both style gaskets and also have the O rings that you don't need with the older carbs

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 12:33am
KooK, your engine runs great now thanks to Keno.
Modern Moly Rings like to break in at a 60-80% load.
They will seat in 5 minutes run time if your cylinder wall finish is good.
Boats are perfect for breaking an engine it because they are always under a load.
I would take it out and run it. Vary the RPM constantly.
I am not afraid of going wide open with a brand new engine after the 20 minute run in but don't keep there longer than 5 seconds or so and watch the temp and oil pressure like a hawk. If it starts getting hot shut it down and find out why.
RPM in a boat wont hurt your break in but overheat sure will.
Have some fun on the 4th of July, make some noise with your Toy.
You pushed such long hours to fix it I suspect you had plans this weekend. Go Enjoy it!
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2017 at 3:02pm
Glad you got it!   Nice catch KENO!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2017 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Glad you got it!   Nice catch KENO!

Yea, but somebody named Dreaming swung things back around to the carburetor and got Kook to take those pictures

So I guess I'd say nice assist Kris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic