Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bilge Pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mwpdrp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwpdrp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bilge Pump
    Posted: June-23-2017 at 11:14pm
Just upgraded from a 1989 Ski Nautique to a 1994 Sport Nautique. Still sorta of a newbee with boating. When I turn on my automotice bilge pump, the manual comes on also. My 89 didn't do this and when I leave it in the water overnight, the pump will probably burn up. Any ideas ??

Mike
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 9:33am
Mike, I don't know how your '94 is set up, but I'm betting it is similar to my'95. I only have one bilge pump. But I have two bilge pump switches.

There is a manual bilge pump switch that allows you to control when the bilge pump is turned on/off, and then there is an automatic bilge pump switch. When the automatic bilge pump switch is turned on, it gives control to a sensor, Water Witch in my case, that will turn the bilge pump on automatically when it senses water.

If your bilge pump is running all the time and not turning off when the water level in your bilge drops, you my have a problem with the automatic bilge pump sensor.

Also when you do have water in your bilge, check to make sure the pump is actually pumping water through the discharge outside your boat. The plastic pump impeller stripped off the drive shaft on my bilge pump once. Pump will run, but you won't be pumping water. That could be your issue too., or you could just be circulating water around in your bilge if the discharge line is disconnected somewhere.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 10:21am
Mike,
Better get the VOM out and check what's getting the volts!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 11:31am
This came up in another thread and like Tim I'm not sure what pump setups are in what boats. My '98 Sport has 2 pumps and they are the ones that cycle every few minutes to check for water, plus I only have one bilge pump switch.

As suggested above start with the simple stuff, get at the pump and see what type you have and if it's actually able to pump water. Are you sure one pump is manual and one auto, or are both pumps powered through a float in auto mode and both pumps on in manual? Sorry I don't know the standard setup on that boat.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 12:18pm
Just for reference,here is the set-up on my '95. Good luck in your diagnosis.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 1:32pm
Pete makes it sound as if simple testing will solve your problems but I'm not sure if he realizes how much wiring is in a modern boat. With out a wiring diagram it makes it much more difficult if not impossible. My 95 has 2 pumps and has the WaterWitch system. Your lucky you can see a pump let alone test it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic