NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

230 HP OMC Carburetor

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 2:32pm
The groove in the balance is the TDC (0deg) mark. You need an adjustable timing light or a timing tape to set the timing... without either, it's anyone's guess where it's set. You really need to know in order for it to run optimally.

On a Chevy I would go DUI.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 3:09pm
If you can measure the diameter of your harmonic balancer, it would be easy to come up with a homemade timing tape with marks at o 10 20 30 35 degrees using a little math.

Chevy had a few different diameters so if you could measure and post it that would be helpful or if you can find a part number on it that would be just as helpful

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You need an adjustable timing light or a timing tape to set the timing... without either, it's anyone's guess where it's set. .

Tim, really? A guess? It's pie times the radius squared divided by 360 will give you the dimension for each degree. Then if you have a tape measure, you can place a mark at the proper advance! BTW, pie is 3.147!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 3:16pm
I almost thought we were agreeing again Pete, but circumference is Pi times the diameter or

2 times the radius times Pi
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 3:23pm
I think he has cherry pie in mind!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I almost thought we were agreeing again Pete, but circumference is Pi times the diameter or

2 times the radius times Pi

Ken,
Thanks for the correction! Yup, it's been a few years since I've used the formula! Damn calculators have spoiled us old guys! (and the young as well)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 4:24pm
Yes, a guess!

Timing tape would be the equivalent of a properly marked balancer, so let's not split hairs... but the latter does require some math (pi=3.14159 last I checked).

Timing needs to be positively verified, how about that.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 5:56pm
Tony

Could you take a picture of the distributor from right above with the points mounting plate removed so that the advance plate that's under the points plate can be seen?.

Just want to see what kind of advance mechanism you have and from there I may have a suggestion for a marine distributor solution for you.

It's the round plate in the lower left with the point cam on it, it might look like this, it might not
adaily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adaily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 7:21pm

I'll have to remove the Point's and plate to get the picture I believe you want. There are blue springs weights, no vacuum which I'm sure you are aware of. It's very clean, like new.

Starts up immediately.

Thank you,
Tony D
A Daily
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 8:03pm
Do your weights and the plate look like the ones in my picture or are they different?

No need for a picture if you know the answer to that question
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

[QUOTE=TRBenj] BTW, pie is 3.147!!

Must have changed it. Used to be pi+ 3.14159265359
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
adaily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adaily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2017 at 1:27am
Gents,

Tonight after work I started working on this engine again. I removed the distributor cap and much to my dismay the carbon center electrode fell out. Apparently snapped off about midway into the cap.
I removed the off center points to take a picture of the springs and weights. I can't upload pictures responding by phone? Everything was very clean and working well.
So I decided to remove the cam lobe and install the electronic module.
It was fairly straight forward until I attempted to remove the positive terminal from the coil only to have it break off. So $35. Later I installed a new coil, wired everything up put the carbon piece back in the distribution cap, turned the key and it started immediately. I know I have to get a new cap. $45 for that beauty.
I also wrapped tape around the harmonic balancer, removed the tape, laid it flat on the gunnel to be measured. Forgot my ruler. I'll get that done tomorrow. So that's were I am today. Tomorrow maybe a short sea trial.

See how it does.

Tony D
A Daily
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2017 at 8:52am
Must be a Mallory E Spark kit if you had to remove the cam lobe to install the conversion.

By the way, if you shop on EBAY for an OMC distributor cap 982209 you can sometimes find them at crazy cheap prices for an OEM cap that's been sitting on a shelf for years.

ebay link

So..... were your weights the same as my picture ?

I think I see enough in your last picture to tell me that it has the newer style weights that are lighter and use lighter springs. You can just make out enough through the square hole in the points plate to see the advance limiting adjustment.

Put the picture up anyways
adaily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adaily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2017 at 1:03pm

I did check e Bay, I ordered a new one for $36 shipped. I wondered if that contact had been broken for a long time. The picture shows it laying in the bottom of the cap. For the brief moment I started it, (on it's trailer) it seemed to sound different. I plan on taking it out tonight if it's not raining.

Thank you for your interest and help. It's a pleasant surprise how much help a person can get using this forum.

Tony D
A Daily
adaily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adaily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2017 at 1:11pm
Forgot to mention, I ordered the exact same cap, for the Mallory, It's a 209M. And yes I did install the Mallory electronic ignition module. Taking the cam off was part of the procedure.

I tucked that little piece that is part of the center electrode back into the cap which is spring loaded and for now it worked, but not for long. I'm sure.

Tony D
A Daily
adaily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adaily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 9:14pm
Update:::: Sea Trial.

First I was asked to measure the diameter of the Harmonic Balancer. 19 1/4 inch or 52.5 mm. This measurement was for timing.

So I launched the boat, opened the engine cover and started it up. First thing I noticed was the idle was set much too high. It was fine last time I ran the boat. I set it back to 650-700. It had a very smooth idle. I idled out of the marina. At 1,500 RPM it's doing around 12 MPH. I advanced the throttle to 2000 = 20 MPH. Slowly advanced to 3,000, right around 30 MPH. Lot of wind. So I pushed it avid more, prior to making the adjustments that had been suggested 3,200 was all it would make. This time it jumped to 4,000, so I advanced it a bit more and saw 4,600. It was too choppy for me to look at my phone. But it was quick. I think it will make close to 5,000. It was just to rough to get full wot. So things are much better after removing the point set. Now I have to figure out what to do with the non marine compliant Carburetor. I turned the engine off at the dock. Turned the key to see if it would restart without a lot of throttle and it started immediately with no throttle. The electronic module seemed to do the trick.

Tony D
A Daily
adaily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adaily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 9:16pm
Non compliant distributor, not Carburetor.
A Daily
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 11:01pm
So..................boat runs good with the Mallory E spark conversion in it, the cap is gonna get replaced with the new one you ordered and the carburetor seems like it's treating you just fine.

The carburetor is marine, I wouldn't worry about that at all.

I'd look for a good used cheap Mallory marine distributor like a YL624 AV that you could put your module in

the 19.25 is the circumference unless you got yourself a really huge harmonic balancer .

Don't throw away the points plate, but take them points and stomp on them till they are totally broken and say "take that Pete" over and over while you're stomping on them Just the points not the plate, keep that as a spare with a new set of points.Your distributor has the later YH advance mechanism. A real good distributor, just not Marine certified.

And one last thing, check your PM's.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 11:26pm

So..................boat runs good with the Mallory E spark conversion in it,
Don't throw away the points plate, but take them points and stomp on them till they are totally broken and say "take that Pete" over and over while you're stomping on them

Ken,
A set of points, a feeler gauge and a dwell meter would have done the same! and, with a point set you don't need to have a spare module on board just in case!!

Tony,
I suggest getting a spare E spark.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 11:31pm
By the way you have a 6 inch diameter harmonic balancer so every degree is .0523 inches or 10 degrees would be .523 inches.

So from tdc to 10 degrees is .523 inches, 20 degrees would be 1.05 30 degrees would be 1.57 inches and 36 degrees would be 1.88 inches if you making a homemade timing tape or you could just buy one from Summit, Jegs, maybe a local parts store.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

So..................boat runs good with the Mallory E spark conversion in it,
Don't throw away the points plate, but take them points and stomp on them till they are totally broken and say "take that Pete" over and over while you're stomping on them

Ken,
A set of points, a feeler gauge and a dwell meter would have done the same! and, with a point set you don't need to have a spare module on board just in case!!

Tony,
I suggest getting a spare E spark.

But then I couldn't have got a dig in about points and that wouldn't have been as much fun Pete
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic