Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stand up jet ski on swim deck??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nate2001SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nate2001SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stand up jet ski on swim deck??
    Posted: June-18-2017 at 2:58pm
How much weight can the swim deck on an 80s SN 2001 handle? I'm big into riding stand up jet skis, and my wife likes to just hang out on the dock with our kiddo while I go for short rides. I've been thinking about adding some removable bunks to the swim deck on my boat so that I could load my stand up on to it when on the water (obviously wouldn't haul it on the trailer like this). Figured it'd be a lot more enjoyable for my wife to hang out on the boat then the dock.

My stand up probably weighs about 300 pounds. I think just putting around, with the ski on the deck would be perfectly fine. No different than a couple people standing on it. But what if I want to go 30 mph across the lake to get to a good riding spot, can the swim deck still take the weight when under load like that? This assumes of course that I can come up with a good way to secure the ski. Still dreaming at this point. Thanks for the comments!
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 3:08pm
I would not try it. Imagine going through some waves and bouncing around and seeing your transom get destroyed by the bouncing load.
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 5:09pm
Teach your wife how to operate the boat if she doesn't know how to already, that way she can tag along with the boat.
1972 Mustang
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 9:38pm
I don't have any physics or mechanical engineering to back up my opinion, but I wouldnt try that in a million years. I'm nervous about 2 people on my platform.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 10:23pm
Larry,
I do have a mechanical engineering back ground and I too would never try to put a PWC on the platform. I'll see if I can calculate the horizontal pull at the top of the platform brackets. The vertical inertia from going over waves and wakes would be the killer!! Also, back then all CC used for bracket mounting were lag bolts into the plywood backing in the transom and by now, there's a good chance that ply isn't in very good condition!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nate2001SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nate2001SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 1:28am
Sounds like I should scrap this idea. Thanks for comments!

I'll throw my wife some props for what its worth though. She's a pretty darn good boat operator. I was just trying to dream up ways to keep our boat outings more of a family thing.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 9:19am
Maybe you could get one of those monster tubes & pull your standup onto it. Then tow that closely behind. Stay off plane & it will be happy.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 9:25am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Maybe you could get one of those monster tubes & pull your standup onto it. Then tow that closely behind. Stay off plane & it will be happy.

Or one of the PWC floating lifts?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 11:30am
I had my friends kawi 750 on my platform of my fish. I had screwed in a few 2x4s to hold it in place and strapped it down.

However. I had reinforced the platform a substantial amount over stock on that boat to accommodate a dive ladder and a diver with full gear. That being said it took the weight no problem then. But factory I wouldnt have tried it, and probably wouldn't advise it otherwise.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 9:15pm
I found the brackets on dad's 88 2001 swim platform bent. I would not ever put more than 2 people on the platform for fear of bending brackets or pulling out the lag bolts. Like it was said the ply is probably not in the best of shape now after 25 plus years.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Warpman89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warpman89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by nate2001SN nate2001SN wrote:

Sounds like I should scrap this idea. Thanks for comments!

I'll throw my wife some props for what its worth though. She's a pretty darn good boat operator. I was just trying to dream up ways to keep our boat outings more of a family thing.

Please post if you figure out a solution! We've got 2 650sx's and 2 750sx's and the they always nose dive when you tow them. But they are too much fun to leave behind!
Stu

1982 BareFoot Nautique PCM 454 *Under Repair*
'82 BFN
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 11:30pm
Heck Quinner had his dates on his.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2017 at 1:12am
Yea Paul- but remember that year at Green Lake when he added the fifth lady? If I didn't know any better it almost looked like the platform hit a tree.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2017 at 10:05am
He tried blaming it on the tree but we all knew how the real damage happened.
I think he still uses that dating service.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic