Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Decal Application?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decal Application?
    Posted: May-22-2017 at 10:55am
I'm in the process of restoring the gel-coat on my 89 SN. I took it down to 400 and all the way back to 1,200 grit and have made my first compound pass. I have all new decals for the boat and am wavering as to what point in the polishing process is the time to apply the decals. Obviously I do not want to apply them over wax or anything other than clean chemical free gel , but should I finish all polishing and wipe the decal areas down with alcohol before application, or prep the surface now and apply them and finish the polishing with them on?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Here is some pictures of my progress so far!
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
Wisky Badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 12:35pm
Great Question and I would also like to know the answer.   Your boat looks wonderful so far, keep up the great work.   
h2o.nhk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h2o.nhk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 1:39pm
I would be hesitant to perform any polishing over new decals. When I replaced some on another boat I had I finished all of my polishing then prepped the decal area using acetone. Your boat is looking great!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 2:43pm
After polishing and before wax.

Ask Zach how to apply the decals themselves. He is the resident expert on the 89 decal install.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 3:03pm
Decals - mark all of your reference lines on the hull... use fineline tape, as you will be able to see it through the release film.    I found this quote on another boat site, and have used a similar process in the past.
"A quick trip to one of your local vinyl sign shops will usually get you a couple of 3M or equal plastic and or nylon squeegies that they use and or supply with decals they produce for customers. Auto body/paint supply houses also carry them for sale to body shops and the general public. Sign shops buy them by the case for pennies and will usually give you a couple for your possible future business.
A good application fluid mixture is 1/2 bottle of window cleaner with 2 tablespoons Dawn dish detergent topped off with water. You need the window cleaner in it to accelerate the evaporation as you squeegee out the fluid from under the adhesive, so you can remove the transfer paper more quickly. This mixture is also what most sign shops use rather than the commercially available application fluid at 5 times the price.
Use masking tape as a guide, when you lay out the location of your decals for the top and left leading edge of decals before application, by placing the decal against the tape edge. It shows through the transfer paper and will peel off when the transfer paper is removed."   

I have always used a water/dishsoap solution , but I think the window cleaner idea has merit, and I would try it if I were applying vinyl.    Also to note,    once everything is where you want it, you also can spray the top release film paper with the solution you choose.   wait a minute, and the top release film will be easier to peal off of the front side of the letters without moving them.

Be aware of your outside temps, hotter temps will reduce your working time, could cause the vinyl to stretch if it is too hot.

Your boat looks great!
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 3:09pm
Sam,
Boat looks great..
Do all the prep work IE polishing before affixing any decals. You do not want to hit the decals with a wheel afterwards. Once your decals are on, then simply wax the entire boat.. And yes, you want to make sure the surface is free from all polishing residue before you start.. Have a decal kit on hand, take your time , you'll love the result..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 3:43pm
I just did the same last fall with my 93.....get all the polishing done...wipe down, so it's all clean...apply decals, then wax.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 5:05pm
That boat looks great Mojo ..........
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 9:19am
Thanks so much fellas!!!
After polishing before wax it is.
Also thanks for the kind words. This boat has been in my family since it was purchased new in 1989. I love this old girl and am proud to put in the sweat to make it like new again. Some of our neighbors around the lake can't understand why on earth I would put so much work into an old boat like that, boy I can't wait to see their faces when I pull up to the dock   
I will have to save a couple years to do the interior (Chritines is the best but pricey).
The advice is much appreciated yall!
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 10:15am
Originally posted by The Godfather The Godfather wrote:

That boat looks great Mojo ..........

Thanks !! All because of you big daddy !!!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 9:45pm
Boat looks great,   I am in the process of doing the same to a 2002 Ski Nautique. I like the 2001 Nautiques,   My dad still has a 88 that he bought new,   Spent many a day behind it at the lake.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic