NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Intermittent no start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intermittent no start
    Posted: May-21-2017 at 1:06pm
So I'm helping a new to the area CCF member (JHadji) with a intermittent no start issue on his '88 SN.
The issue is that it will start fine but then if you shut it off and attempt a restart about every 3rd or 4th start attempt we just get a clunk/click out of the starter.
Things we checked
Battery new and a starting battery, shows 12.6ish and better than 14 while running
Cables look clean and in good shape
Connections at key seem in good working order
replaced his starter with my '85's no change
Replaced solenoid with mine no change
Timing set proper to 10*
I'm not a great spark chaser with a meter so looking for suggestions on how and where to go next.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 1:17pm
Paul,
Measure the actual voltage at the starter when you are cranking the engine over. How's the timing? Is the distributor retarding and advancing?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 1:38pm
Thanks Pete updated my OP timing is set to spec at 10*
volts at starter was 12+ when it cranked properly but when it did the clunk thing they seemed to drop as low as 6ish volts for a second. Hard to measure as it would start or the volts would bounce around when it clunked.
This was checked off the lug on the starter its self.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 1:58pm
Paul,
That 6 is a pretty big voltage drop. See if you can get more volt readings back to the battery when it "clunks". Say in and out at the start relay (solenoid) and then at the battery itself. This will tell you where the voltage drop is. but I suspect the battery cables and or terminals. They may look good but are bad inside.

Your timing is set at 10 but is the distributor retarding back to 10 when the engine isn't running?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 3:41pm
Take the battery and have it load tested to make sure it does not have a bad cell. Swapping parts between boats is creative. Why not swap batteries?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Take the battery and have it load tested to make sure it does not have a bad cell. Swapping parts between boats is creative. Why not swap batteries?

Had one in my truck just in case but when all the voltages were in check and it would crank and start with no issue half the time I didn't feel it's battery related.

I think the next time we work on it I will bypass the battery cables by using jumper cables and see if that makes a difference.
I still haven't ruled out grounds/dash wiring.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 6:15pm
I have no clue but the ignition switch went out on my boat and it did some weird stuff before I figured it out. These boats don't have much of a ground or power supply up front. I'm going to build a new buss for power and ground someday.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 9:11pm
Battery cables or connections, id bet money on it.
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 9:31pm
Tim's most likely right, Battery cable. We had the same issue on our boat. Had to jiggle it to work until we replaced. Just made a clicking noise every time you turn the key.
1972 Mustang
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 3:06pm
I just swapped out my positive cable terminal for a non-start issue. When not under load I had 14 at battery, 14 at solenoid and ground. Turn key, pop sound near back engine fuse, ignition circuit went dead, and then nothing, no bilge, no lights, etc. 30 seconds later, ignition circuit light would slowly come back on and I would have 14 again everywhere. Couldn't test voltage under load because once the key turned it all when totally dead.

Terminal and cable looked pretty good. Put jump starter on top of post and it would turn over, so I knew it was battery or terminals or wires.

I cut an inch off the wire before putting on the new terminals. Damn things are brittle and oxidized. I plan to replace them after this season.   

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 6:12pm
Go to www.genuindealz.com for some good prices on premade large 1/0 battery cables. Just measure and order. They will do the crimps and heat shrink for you.

FYI,

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 7:59pm
Here is another place too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 9:21pm
Same company, 2 websites.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 12:00pm
Can someone post the drawing that I believe Tim did with the basic wiring,I had it saved but my computer at work crashed and I lost it,
I'm at work now and would like to print it.
Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Can someone post the drawing that I believe Tim did with the basic wiring,I had it saved but my computer at work crashed and I lost it,
I'm at work now and would like to print it.
Thanks

Probably

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 12:41pm
Thanks Ken
JHadji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHadji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 9:24am
Update - with much thanks to Paul (gun-driver) helping to rule out starters and solenoids, it was the key switch! Everything is now humming.

Thanks again all
1988SkiNautique2001
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 10:49am
Ha! Great news. I went through an ignition switch during the shakeout of the SS a few years ago. Love to hear of the successes this group produces. It sure makes ownership a lot more of a club than a solo act!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic